2019 Still worth buying new?

transitdk

I have an opportunity to pick up a new 2019 FTR 1200 S (dunno how it stayed in stock for so long, 9 miles on it) for around $12k (pretax/etc). My thought is instead of waiting for a 2022 to come available, I could save on the 2019 and have extra money for mods that I would've done on either bike. Am I crazy?

My other crazy thought I haven't been able to verify anywhere is whether or not 2022 components could be put on a 2019 to essentially upgrade it. Is cylinder deactivation just reflashing the ECU, or are there new sensors? Is the frame/suspension the same, and so would the new 17" wheels bolt onto the previous years? (I'm tall so that one doesn't really affect me that much). I'm already planning on swapping the seat, mirrors, and turn signals.

Thanks for your input!

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
I have an opportunity to pick up a new 2019 FTR 1200 S (dunno how it stayed in stock for so long, 9 miles on it) for around $12k (pretax/etc). (Too much for a 19 s, if it was 12k otd then it’s not bad) My thought is instead of waiting for a 2022 to come available, I could save on the 2019 and have extra money for mods that I would've done on either bike. Am I crazy?

My other crazy thought I haven't been able to verify anywhere is whether or not 2022 components could be put on a 2019 to essentially upgrade it. (other than a cat delete, everything from the 19 will fit on the 2022) Is cylinder deactivation just reflashing the ECU, or are there new sensors? (It’s in the ecu) Is the frame/suspension the same (frame is, forks and rear shock are different ) and so would the new 17" wheels bolt onto the previous years? (Bolt on, no, the front abs sensor is different ) (I'm tall so that one doesn't really affect me that much). I'm already planning on swapping the seat, mirrors, and turn signals.

Thanks for your input!

Ab.riyami

I have an opportunity to pick up a new 2019 FTR 1200 S (dunno how it stayed in stock for so long, 9 miles on it) for around $12k (pretax/etc). (Too much for a 19 s, if it was 12k otd then it’s not bad) My thought is instead of waiting for a 2022 to come available, I could save on the 2019 and have extra money for mods that I would've done on either bike. Am I crazy?

My other crazy thought I haven't been able to verify anywhere is whether or not 2022 components could be put on a 2019 to essentially upgrade it. (other than a cat delete, everything from the 19 will fit on the 2022) Is cylinder deactivation just reflashing the ECU, or are there new sensors? (It’s in the ecu) Is the frame/suspension the same (frame is, forks and rear shock are different ) and so would the new 17" wheels bolt onto the previous years? (Bolt on, no, the front abs sensor is different ) (I'm tall so that one doesn't really affect me that much). I'm already planning on swapping the seat, mirrors, and turn signals.

Thanks for your input!

Hello, does this mean we can get cylinder deactivation in our 2019 S model?? I thought its only available for the new model.

if so, how can I get it on my 2019 S?

K9F

If anyone needs it, in Oman you could use it.

EITMS Engine Idle Temperature Monitoring System.

I have it on my other bike and in five years I can count on one hand how many times it's cut in and that bike isn't even water cooled. Many even in hotter climes disable it as it can be a pain in the butt with a slight throttle lag as it reactivates before you pull away. Even if it was available for the 2019's I personally wouldn't want it especially as it's water cooled with a thermostatic fan.

Timps27

Six hours of riding in 83° today, I actually only noticed the heat on my left calf when I would hit stops. I would say it’s more noticeable than my Tiger (which people also whine about the heat), but if people didn’t specifically talk about it, I would never have spent a moment of my time considering it. It’s a piece of metal that uses controlled explosions to make noise and make me go fast, shits gonna get hot sometimes.

Snakum

I got my 19 base for 10500 otd with extended warranty and all services prepaid. Now that it's fixed I'm glad I didn't wait. I can see a 2nd gen base model in a few years once teething issues are resolved on that one.

So I vote "Do it!". Life is short. It's only money.

Mlazarus

I would guess that if you never ride the 2022, the 2019 would certainly seem worth buying. For some, even if you do ride the 2022, you might still prefer the value of the 2019.

Ab.riyami

If anyone needs it, in Oman you could use it.

EITMS Engine Idle Temperature Monitoring System.

I have it on my other bike and in five years I can count on one hand how many times it's cut in and that bike isn't even water cooled. Many even in hotter climes disable it as it can be a pain in the butt with a slight throttle lag as it reactivates before you pull away. Even if it was available for the 2019's I personally wouldn't want it especially as it's water cooled with a thermostatic fan.
You seem to understand how hot it gets over here ! yes, summer season just started and its 39 degrees celsius today ! :cool: its just going to get hotter till it peaks!

I dont want to install anything, keeping my bike stock for now, I was just wondering from ferraiolo1's comment if the 2019 model will or can get that feature like the newer models? or if there is a way to activate it.

Never had an issue with my 2015 scout but the FTR burns my sack! I've got 3 kids but I'll probably want more so dont want to kill off my soldiers ;)

K9F

You seem to understand how hot it gets over here ! yes, summer season just started and its 39 degrees celsius today ! :cool: its just going to get hotter till it peaks!

I do indeed and at times it was almost intolerable for me! Not in Oman but close enough, slightly westward. Best part of five months living in a tent in Al Kharj mid Summer with 45 degrees plus on the airfield and not much relief at night. R & R in Riyadh was a welcome relief. Some days it was so hot the aircraft had to take off with reduced fuel loads so they could actually get airborne and wheels up before fueling air to air to carry out their mission.

Last edited:

Staedtler

I’ve had a Challenger have deac cut in, and it does make a difference. I think the problem with the FTR is that the heatshielding/cat location makes heat rise quickly in traffic, would love to test a ‘22 to see if it helps though.

K9F

Last June it peaked at 33 degrees here and it didn't take long for the fan to kick in on the FTR when stationary which coped really well coming on at a constant 96 degrees Celsius and rapidly dropping the temperature ballpark 10 degrees. For those of us in the UK you certainly don't need rear cylinder deactivation. Even with rear cylinder deactivation and it becoming an air pump the heat still needs to go somewhere and there is always a lag for it to reactivate when you either blip the throttle or pull in the clutch. On a heavyweight cruiser and hotter climes certainly not on a bike like the FTR IMHO.

Well, on the first of May here in Las Vegas, it was 33 degrees Celsius. I laugh at your UK peak! ==> Ha! Ha! Ha! :D

I will let you know what happens when it actually gets hot here. ;)

Last edited:

Zilonis

I would say you should try to look at the differences between Gen1 and Gen2 and ask yourself which you'd like better. IMO the Gen2 has catered to more of the masses by way of making it more like a street bike and less like the amazing flat tracker we know and love.

I'm 6'2 and I have a 19 S RR and it's perfect for me. I appreciate the longer travel suspension, the bigger wheels and taller seat height. The Gen2 shed some of the original characteristics which made it THE Flat Tracker that Indian created in the first place.

Consider this - Once all the new Gen1's are gone they're gone, leaving only used options. You could always get the 19 S and then trade up for the 22 once they're more readily available.

Also - look on cycletrader to compare prices, perhaps you'll find one even cheaper.

Ab.riyami

I do indeed and at times it was almost intolerable for me! Not in Oman but close enough, slightly westward. Best part of five months living in a tent in Al Kharj mid Summer with 45 degrees plus on the airfield and not much relief at night. R & R in Riyadh was a welcome relief. Some days it was so hot the aircraft had to take off with reduced fuel loads so they could actually get airborne and wheels up before fueling air to air to carry out their mission.
Thats intense!

Rix005

I have an opportunity to pick up a new 2019 FTR 1200 S (dunno how it stayed in stock for so long, 9 miles on it) for around $12k (pretax/etc). My thought is instead of waiting for a 2022 to come available, I could save on the 2019 and have extra money for mods that I would've done on either bike. Am I crazy?

My other crazy thought I haven't been able to verify anywhere is whether or not 2022 components could be put on a 2019 to essentially upgrade it. Is cylinder deactivation just reflashing the ECU, or are there new sensors? Is the frame/suspension the same, and so would the new 17" wheels bolt onto the previous years? (I'm tall so that one doesn't really affect me that much). I'm already planning on swapping the seat, mirrors, and turn signals.

Thanks for your input!
The 2019 model color scheme came in only that year. I'm storing mine as a 20 yr investment.