2022 FTR Owner Report

Irving

Hello forum,
Can the 2022 FTR new owners give us an update on their bikes? Specifically has the ecu/surging/stalling issues been resolved?
Thanks.

Charliemurphay

Not a 2022 owner just wanted to relay an anecdote; was on a group ride and one guy that came up to talk about the FTR said he just test rode a 2022 a few days prior and said it vibrated real bad at speed. Was just surprising to hear to me considering the demo vids I’ve seen all talk about how the fueling is so much better than the ‘19’s were, then they get into the hands of the general public and suddenly the same issues are cropping up?

edgelett

Hello forum,
Can the 2022 FTR new owners give us an update on their bikes? Specifically has the ecu/surging/stalling issues been resolved?
Thanks.
I don't have a 2022, but I am doing some testing of the AH2 software release for Australia at the moment on behalf of my dealer and Polaris Australia on a 2019 stock bike.
Can confirm no stalling whatsoever on the first 2 rides (haven't been for more than 2 since I got it).
The surging between 3-4 k is HEAPS better, still a tiny bit there but I suspect that's because i'm on a 2019 not a 2022.
it's not as smooth as a tuned 2019 but so much better than stock.

I imagine the 2022 is even better due to the other changes they made to the bike but I'm sure someone with a 2022 will chime in soon

FTRRCv2

My bike (22 Carbon)sometimes doesn't start or should I say stay running the first hit on the starter. It sometimes immediately shuts down. Once it's running, never has an issue. Idles fine. Only once has it taken a third try. There is some surging that I'm trying to figure out from around 3200-4000. But it seems to vary with engine load, gear, etc. It's always better under load and speeding up, slowing down or trying to maintain 35mph is a bear. Coming from a Ducati, I'm actually used to this somewhat, this is better than the Ducati was until it was tuned. These are race oriented engines and tunes, I'll put up with it for the huge hit at 5k and up, that's why it has 6 gears. That being said, I may have it tuned at some point. I'm sure emissions keep it from being all that it can be.

Zilonis

My bike (22 Carbon)sometimes doesn't start or should I say stay running the first hit on the starter. It sometimes immediately shuts down. Once it's running, never has an issue. Idles fine. Only once has it taken a third try. There is some surging that I'm trying to figure out from around 3200-4000. But it seems to vary with engine load, gear, etc. It's always better under load and speeding up, slowing down or trying to maintain 35mph is a bear. Coming from a Ducati, I'm actually used to this somewhat, this is better than the Ducati was until it was tuned. These are race oriented engines and tunes, I'll put up with it for the huge hit at 5k and up, that's why it has 6 gears. That being said, I may have it tuned at some point. I'm sure emissions keep it from being all that it can be.
how many miles do you have on the bike so far?

R. Warshawsky

I don't have a 2022, but I am doing some testing of the AH2 software release for Australia at the moment on behalf of my dealer and Polaris Australia on a 2019 stock bike.
Can confirm no stalling whatsoever on the first 2 rides (haven't been for more than 2 since I got it).
The surging between 3-4 k is HEAPS better, still a tiny bit there but I suspect that's because i'm on a 2019 not a 2022.
it's not as smooth as a tuned 2019 but so much better than stock.

I imagine the 2022 is even better due to the other changes they made to the bike but I'm sure someone with a 2022 will chime in soon
It would be interesting to see a side by side dyno comparison between the original tune and OEM update. I found the same change in performance.

pushit

<-22. Never stalled but sometimes right after cold-start idling I hear the rpms drop real low briefly, then immediately get picked back up to 1500 or whatever rpm its suppose to be.
I can feel some surging/bucking/choppiness/throttle inconsistency in the low 3000 rpms. I usually hang out in the 4000's where all the cool kids are, so problem solved I guess? I never use cruise control but I've read that's even worse.

Steve290459

Hello forum,
Thanks.
Hello
Took delivery of new model FTR S White Smoke which is coming up to 500 miles and surges in all gears between 4000 - 6000 RPM's unless accelerating. Going in for first service in a couple of weeks so I'll see what the dealer has to say

edgelett

Hello
Took delivery of new model FTR S White Smoke which is coming up to 500 miles and surges in all gears between 4000 - 6000 RPM's unless accelerating. Going in for first service in a couple of weeks so I'll see what the dealer has to say
that's the standard fueling. can get sorted out with an aftermarket tune.

Hello forum,
Thanks.
Why is this still even an issue? Why can’t Indian figure out a tune for this motorcycle? And why do owners have to keep paying approximately $500 to get their bikes to run right? I personally don’t want to pay for a tune on top of the price of a new motorcycle. My stock 2019 has some surge issues and only occasionally the restart issue. The cruise control seems to eliminate the surging or to keep a Constant speed when doing 30 ish. To eliminate the heat and because I just bought a used Bassani pipe I’m going to eliminate the cat and therefore will need to get it tuned anyways. But if the heat wasn’t an issue I would’ve just went with a slip on and then I wouldnt need a tune.

kendgray

My '22 base doesn't surge, at least not enough for me to notice. Haven't had any starting issues yet as of 2500 miles. I've had two stalls so far. One right after down shifting when I pulled in the clutch coming up on a round about, the other after hitting a big bump in the road. Other than that I haven't had any issues.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Why is this still even an issue? Why can’t Indian figure out a tune for this motorcycle? And why do owners have to keep paying approximately $500 to get their bikes to run right? I personally don’t want to pay for a tune on top of the price of a new motorcycle. My stock 2019 has some surge issues and only occasionally the restart issue. The cruise control seems to eliminate the surging or to keep a Constant speed when doing 30 ish. To eliminate the heat and because I just bought a used Bassani pipe I’m going to eliminate the cat and therefore will need to get it tuned anyways. But if the heat wasn’t an issue I would’ve just went with a slip on and then I wouldnt need a tune.
I’ve spent time on three different 22s. I think it’s people using sport mode and feeling the super twitchy throttle. Which almost any bike in sport mode will have.

base owners don’t experience it because their throttle map is in standard.

the 22s are tamed down a bit in their tune. But in standard mode I experienced no hiccups

Charliemurphay

I’ve spent time on three different 22s. I think it’s people using sport mode and feeling the super twitchy throttle. Which almost any bike in sport mode will have.

the 22s are tamed down a bit in their tune. But in standard mode I experienced no hiccups
This is my suspicion as well considering the jumpiness goes away with cruise control. Just not used to an extra twitchy fly-by-wire throttle. It’s so sensitive it reacts to the micro movements of your hands as you go over bumps in the road and such. Takes some getting used to.

mtFTRnh

I have to update my report from what I wrote earlier (see below). I’m at 600 miles now and I do have a bit of surging from 3000 to 3200 RPM in 2nd, 3rd and 4th. (Yes..I know that’s almost lugging the engine.) My last two bikes, a Triumph and a Suzuki, were like that too

Brand new ‘22 base here…<300 miles. No starting issues and only a tiny bit… and I mean tiny, tiny bit…of surging in 2nd and third at the bottom of the rpm curve. I have an S&S slip-on and unless something changes once the bike’s broken in I’m not gonna bother with a tune.

Last edited:

edgelett

This is my suspicion as well considering the jumpiness goes away with cruise control. Just not used to an extra twitchy fly-by-wire throttle. It’s so sensitive it reacts to the micro movements of your hands as you go over bumps in the road and such. Takes some getting used to.
correct - this was part of the issue I was having with my surging bike a while back.
(there was another issue too, but once that was corrected I just really noticed the twitchy throttle more than before)

kendgray

I forgot to mention, my base '22 stalls frequently leaving stop lights after rear cylinder deactivation has been on. This was easily fixed by giving it the ol Harley boy blip of the throttle when the light turns green to get both cylinders firing again before I actually engage clutch.

C-KicksXL

22 Carbon here with 800 miles on it. I experience surging as well between 3-4k. I can say mine does it in standard and sport mode. I spent the first 500 miles in standard mode. I can also say cruse control highlights the issue. I am use to a twitchy throttle, my octanes throttle is pretty twitchy.

But aside from the surging issue I have no issues. Starts right up and coldest I have started it up is probably 60 degrees.

Last edited:

EllenGtrGrl

I can believe that. My old BMW R1200R (my previous motorcycle) was like that when I rode it in Sport Mode - the throttle response was alwyas very jerky/sudden, even for twitches on the throttle caused by hitting bumps. As a result, I kept the bike in Road Mode most of the time.