2022 FTR Owner Report

Irving

I started the thread to see if there's any commonality amongst the 2022. Based on my own experience and looking for that common experience here's where I am. The "surging" experience found on some 2019's isn't there with the 2022's. That being said said, I think "mtFTRnh" and "pushit" sum it up best when they describe "a tiny bit… and I mean tiny, tiny bit…of surging" and "some surging/bucking/choppiness/throttle inconsistency".

For me, in all modes (rain, std and sport), that tiny bit of inconsistency is definitely there. At the moment I'm only riding in Vermont's mountains and the inconsistency is most notable when I use engine braking going down a steep road. As others have said, the acceleration is always smooth.

One more question for the 2022 folk: those of you who've removed the Akrapovic baffles; did the choppiness get worse, same or lessen?

FTRRCv2

I started the thread to see if there's any commonality amongst the 2022. Based on my own experience and looking for that common experience here's where I am. The "surging" experience found on some 2019's isn't there with the 2022's. That being said said, I think "mtFTRnh" and "pushit" sum it up best when they describe "a tiny bit… and I mean tiny, tiny bit…of surging" and "some surging/bucking/choppiness/throttle inconsistency".

For me, in all modes (rain, std and sport), that tiny bit of inconsistency is definitely there. At the moment I'm only riding in Vermont's mountains and the inconsistency is most notable when I use engine braking going down a steep road. As others have said, the acceleration is always smooth.

One more question for the 2022 folk: those of you who've removed the Akrapovic baffles; did the choppiness get worse, same or lessen?
Same

pushit

The baffles aren't going to change the surging. Although it sounds a lot better without them so it's worth it for that alone.
I've tried to notice a difference in Standard, Sport, and Sport with traction control off, and I feel like the 3-4k rpm hesitation is there equally in all modes.

I don't agree with the "over-sensitive throttle" excuse. On the screen with just the MPH digits and RPM horizontal bar -it's bad enough you can see the RPM bar dancing back and forth, moving left and right, in between 3-4k rpm. Anywhere else I can hold the RPM steady enough the bar graph won't move. This means the crankshaft speed is slowing down long enough for the ECU to see it and even display it to the gauge as a drop/increase. I can maintain any other rpm but as hard as I try, I can't get it to hold any specific spot inside 3-4k

If Ryan @ lloydzgarage has allegedly fixed this issue, the cause of the surging shouldn't be a mystery unless he for some reason doesn't want to tell people how he fixed it. I'm surprised no one has asked him about it? I wasn't planning on getting a tune until winter.

M9Carbon22

FTR R Carbon ridden maybe 5 times now. Gets a bit hot idling for long times (did some carpark slow maneuvering to get used to it). Cold start RPM's having some small variations but nothing drastic. Still doing all basic adjustments ie mirrors and suspension. carbon seat is stiff but should break in. Weather has been shit so I am itching to get out again!!!

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Between 3-4k you’re lugging the engine a bit, try adjusting your riding style to keep Rpms above 4k and you’re fine till you decide to get a tune.

no he won’t tell people how he gets rid of it, otherwise he wouldn’t have a business.

FTRRCv2

FTR R Carbon ridden maybe 5 times now. Gets a bit hot idling for long times (did some carpark slow maneuvering to get used to it). Cold start RPM's having some small variations but nothing drastic. Still doing all basic adjustments ie mirrors and suspension. carbon seat is stiff but should break in. Weather has been shit so I am itching to get out again!!!
Did you turn on rear cylinder deactivation?

M9Carbon22

Did you turn on rear cylinder deactivation?
I haven't turned it off, since I got it. But if your asking because it helps with the heat. That only works if the engine is at a complete stop. Slow carpark manoeuvres and traffic are still gonna be hot

FTRRCv2

I haven't turned it off, since I got it. But if your asking because it helps with the heat. That only works if the engine is at a complete stop. Slow carpark manoeuvres and traffic are still gonna be hot
No, it works in Neutral coasting for sure and maybe with the throttle closed in gear and coasting with the clutch in? But obviously you have to get some momentum up or be on a slope to do that.

Vulcan

I have a 6 week old 2022 FTR 1200 Base With 280miles. Biggest issues is finding time to ride.
When I’m in neutral and shift to 1st gear, it seems to clunk into gear a bit more than I would like but mechanic said it’s normal.

mark.lb

Was in for service on my Vintage yesterday at Pitt Cycles. Got into a 2019 vs 2022 FTR discussion with Mike my favorite technician. He told me there are significant differences in the intake between the 19 and 22 models. The new FTR has redesign fuel injectors, redesigned throttle bodies and a redesigned air box. In addition the Cat is welded to the header exhaust pipe to make it more difficult to remove. The intake changes were to correct some of the fueling issues we all know about on the 19 models and to keep the motorcycle compliant with increasingly stricter emission standards. Mike claims the Cat was welded to prevent people from removing it because it is necessary to have the correct back pressure for the bike to run properly with the stock intake components. Pitt Cycles is a certified Lloydz tuning center. He says he always has difficulty getting 22 FTRs to run properly when the customer insists on removing the Cat. He says everyone wants to upgrade the exhaust systems on their motorcycles. But - He claims the exhaust system and the intake components are designed to work together. He says having the correct back pressure is critical for the engine to make power and torque.

FTRRCv2

Well, my first rear tire is nearly toast at 2400 miles. Not the tire's fault, this beast puts a ton of torque to that rear and I love the rush I get from releasing it. No burnouts, clutch ups, etc. Just hard riding. The front is still around half, so I am getting another rear until they are both shot then maybe try something slightly harder. I'm changing the name of the bike to Fast Tire Recycler! By the way, these tires are great, but you can't find them anywhere. Ended up sourcing one in the U.K.
For comparison, I used to get around 3000 a set on my Diavel.(Pirelli's) So the front is fairing better, rear not so much but is much skinnier than the 240 on the Diavel.

FTRRCv2

Yeah, actually a bold move from Indian to mount hypersport tires as OEM, and not sport touring tires.
These are rated in the top few of this type of tire as well, I'm quite happy with them. I'm obviously heavy handed coming out of the corners, but they have never let me down. I actually have zero chicken strips on these(rear anyway) I'm that confident with them on normal streets. I love both versions of this bike(19 and 22), but this version is exactly what I wanted to replace my Diavel, and they delivered. Everyone bitches about the mapping, the Ducati was no better stock.
Oh and I forgot to mention that the bike never comes out of sport mode, and most of the time I turn off TC.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Was in for service on my Vintage yesterday at Pitt Cycles. Got into a 2019 vs 2022 FTR discussion with Mike my favorite technician. He told me there are significant differences in the intake between the 19 and 22 models. The new FTR has redesign fuel injectors, redesigned throttle bodies and a redesigned air box. In addition the Cat is welded to the header exhaust pipe to make it more difficult to remove. The intake changes were to correct some of the fueling issues we all know about on the 19 models and to keep the motorcycle compliant with increasingly stricter emission standards. Mike claims the Cat was welded to prevent people from removing it because it is necessary to have the correct back pressure for the bike to run properly with the stock intake components. Pitt Cycles is a certified Lloydz tuning center. He says he always has difficulty getting 22 FTRs to run properly when the customer insists on removing the Cat. He says everyone wants to upgrade the exhaust systems on their motorcycles. But - He claims the exhaust system and the intake components are designed to work together. He says having the correct back pressure is critical for the engine to make power and torque.
Eh kinda correct. Toce is the only company who makes a full exhaust for the 22 that removed the cat. And with Ryan’s ecu flash, it performs exactly the same as the 2019. Even with the intake and head changes.
I posted dyno sheets on this forum a while ago about it.

but stick for stock, the 22 has a much tamer power curve than the 19

mark.lb

Just to be clear - My post was not my opinion. It relates a conversation I had with a Indian service technician.
(A very good one in my opinion)

I run an unmolested - stock 2019 FTR-RR with only the dB killers removed. It runs great and has not been tuned. It now has 7500 mile on the clock.