2022 FTR Owner Report

Breto

I mean he's not wrong. But the cost of legal bs will be greater than just sucking up and paying for a tune.
Dude indian probably has a fuckin workshop full of legal eagles that sit there all day just waiting for someone to try and take them on. They know it’s shit, they know they are going to do Jack about it and they know they will win any court shit that gets thrown at them…get a tune mate, way less drama…at least the tuner has your back man…👍

AllAroundRider

As someone who’s put several thousand over the road miles on my FTR I actually think the range is right. By the time I need to fill up my ass is pretty numb and I need a walk, so it hasn’t been a problem for me. Might annoy any riding buddies on long trips, but solo it has not been an inconvenience for me.
Yeah, i don't know about that, I made a trip from San Diego to Phoenix Arizona with cruise control set at 65 and ran out of gas 2 times. while stopping at EVERY gas station along the way.
a big water bottle i had filled with gas and some helpful guy with a toyhauler are the only reasons i made the trip. 100 miles MAX come out of an ftr tank if you're riding like a granny

Breto

Yeah, i don't know about that, I made a trip from San Diego to Phoenix Arizona with cruise control set at 65 and ran out of gas 2 times. while stopping at EVERY gas station along the way.
a big water bottle i had filled with gas and some helpful guy with a toyhauler are the only reasons i made the trip. 100 miles MAX come out of an ftr tank if you're riding like a granny
Ok so 100 miles equates to 160k…when full and I mean full to the point where you can’t dribble anymore into it standing it upright at the bowser, my meter will say 230-236. Most days riding this thing I’m always on it. It just wants to go all the time. It will drop quickly from that 230 mark. I’d probably get 180 -190 out of a tank riding like I do. Highway I would expect better out of it. Especially at around100k with cruise. Maybe @edgelett can come in here as well. Tash rides the hills of SA…

Sullaha

There's something not right there, my tuned 19 will get that distance when I wring it's neck and I mean really get up the thing. My untuned one will go 200km commuting consistently which is a mix of nana and nana plus 50% throttle (the pretty ladies present minimum setting).

AllAroundRider

There's something not right there, my tuned 19 will get that distance when I wring it's neck and I mean really get up the thing. My untuned one will go 200km commuting consistently which is a mix of nana and nana plus 50% throttle (the pretty ladies present minimum setting).
It runs decently for a stock tune but ever since mile, 5 if my gauge says I have 10 miles left it's really like 6. every mile I go the gauge will drop by 2 miles. I thought it was just an insane gas hog. *edit* it also dies EVERY time I cold start I have to baby the bike starting it back up for the first 5-8 mins on cold start. and it won't run right until about 155-170 Ferinheight.

AllAroundRider

Mind you I’ll still have 25-30k showing on the meter when I get home. I’ve never ridden to the fuel light yet…🤞
my fuel light turns on at 15 miles and I better be close to a station cause its more like 8 miles haha. i think the stock tune is garbage, it surges at anything under 4k RPMs its damn near impossible to just cruise the bike its either all gas or all stop.

Sullaha

It runs decently for a stock tune but ever since mile, 5 if my gauge says I have 10 miles left it's really like 6. every mile I go the gauge will drop by 2 miles. I thought it was just an insane gas hog. *edit* it also dies EVERY time I cold start I have to baby the bike starting it back up for the first 5-8 mins on cold start. and it won't run right until about 155-170 Ferinheight.
The range indicator is super unreliable and fickle, all motorcycle fuel gauges are in my opinion. Just set a trip meter and use that, it's far more consistent.
The cold thing is what it is, you just have to be patient, even with the V5 tune mine is grumpy until it's up to temp. But do get it tuned, the stalling can be eliminated.

AllAroundRider

The range indicator is super unreliable and fickle, all motorcycle fuel gauges are in my opinion. Just set a trip meter and use that, it's far more consistent.
The cold thing is what it is, you just have to be patient, even with the V5 tune mine is grumpy until it's up to temp. But do get it tuned, the stalling can be eliminated.
My Harley didn't even come with a gas gauge so i understand that haha i was just thinking a 2022 would have somewhat of a reliable system :) lol

Breto

Yep I do the same thing man…set the trip to zero at the servo and trade it off against the fuel range…👍

Sullaha

My Harley didn't even come with a gas gauge so i understand that haha i was just thinking a 2022 would have somewhat of a reliable system :) lol
It's the sender units in the tanks that are on a hiding to nothing. Unlike cars that have relatively flat bottomed regular profile fuel tanks that stay on the same plane. Bikes have all sorts of funny shapes, the FTR especially.

Charliemurphay

In my experience the light always comes on with 15-17 miles remaining. As far as the accuracy of the range meter to me it’s a trend indicator not a definitive range remaining. It seems to adjust to how you’ve been riding most recently. That said I cram every drop I can into the tank and get about 130-140 miles to a tank if I’m nice to it (45t rear sprocket). 100-110 if I’m beating on it.

edgelett

Maybe @edgelett can come in here as well. Tash rides the hills of SA…
Riding through the Adelaide Hills I get between 150-180 kms per tank.
tight corners, 80kph limit,usually in 3rd sometimes 4th.
Doing a 3 day trip through the limestone coast on the highway sitting at 110kph on straight roads, I got between 220 and 250kms per tank.

Irving

Riding through the Adelaide Hills I get between 150-180 kms per tank.
tight corners, 80kph limit,usually in 3rd sometimes 4th.
Doing a 3 day trip through the limestone coast on the highway sitting at 110kph on straight roads, I got between 220 and 250kms per tank.

-

Last edited:

edgelett

Tash did you get the LLOYD’Z tune? I have a theory (nothing more at this point) that the tune besides helping the engine run more smoothly it helps with mileage at higher rpm's and speeds but it lowers fuel efficiency at lower speeds and rpm's. Does anyone else have an opinion on this?
Yes I have a Lloydz tune (it's the only tune for the Toce)
my mileage is better at highway speeds in lower gears and lower RPM than it is sitting in 2nd or 3rd in high rpm in the hills.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Tash did you get the LLOYD’Z tune? I have a theory (nothing more at this point) that the tune besides helping the engine run more smoothly it helps with mileage at higher rpm's and speeds but it lowers fuel efficiency at lower speeds and rpm's. Does anyone else have an opinion on this?
Has zero effect on mpg. I have a flash on my 19 and my 22.

Walrus

Got my new base 2022 today (3/4/22). Based on 50-mile ride, the fueling/throttle response is impeccable. Actually, I'd say downright remarkable. No surging, no stalling. I believe the issue is solved. I test rode a 2019 ages ago that had cold start issues. Kept quitting even during warm up. Not a problem - apparently - on 2022.