Attempted FTR theft, prevention and dealing with it.

• Thread starter Deleted member 706
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 706

I rode to work in East Perth and parked in the usual spot in the public car park outside. Later I got a phone call from a private number, it was the cops telling me that someone had tried to knick my bike.
The bike is a bit scuffed up but no significant damage. The Kryptonite disc lock definitely helped save the day. Cops got a call from CCTV surveillance and busted the little shits. The wiring was pulled out of the throttle side so the bike went on a tow truck and I took the train home.
Shits me that my new paint job is fucked up...

After the attempted theft of my bike, I'm curious to know what my options are for putting an alarm or any other security device on the bike. Who knows anything about the options? In the 21st century there must be a bit of hi-tech stuff which can be attached to the bike to warn the thieves and alert the owner. Yes, I do know that about the risks of parking a bike in public unattended, which is why I don't ride the older bikes to work, they're irreplaceable.
At this stage I need to wait until Monday to find out where my bike is in the queue for repairs, or even if it is going to be repaired. The damage looked fairly minimal but I'm told that if there's anything wrong with the wiring then they'll replace the whole loom, ka-ching there goes a couple of grand. If it is written off, it will be a repairable write as opposed to a statutory write off which can never be registered again. I'll cross that bridge if I come to it.
The questions I'm now asking myself are, what will the assessor say and what will I do if they want to write it off. If it's a write off, I'll need to look closely at the assessment and go from there. I want to keep this bike but I'm not sure about what to replace it with if I let it go.
To be continued...

Last edited by a moderator:

Blue1

Sue the shit that did the damage, but you can't get blood from a stone...but maybe someone else (if the thieves are minors) are responsible for them that has deeper pockets you can get to.

As far as protecting the bike, unless you are only a couple minutes from it, there is nothing you can do. I'm sure the upper end thieves have figured out how to screw up those little location devices you can plant all over the bike, but that would not work for the lower end thieves.

D

Deleted member 706

@Blue1
As mentioned the cops did bust them, so I can apply for the $500 insurance excess at their court appearance. These little darlings are low life opportunists who fucked up.
I'm trying to make arrangements for some after hours parking at this site. I'd prefer that top end thieves got it rather than low lives. Taking the agreed value is preferable to dealing with repairs. Tomorrow the repair shop comes back to work and maybe a backlog of jobs.
Saturday day shift I found a great spot, totally unauthorised but there's no one there to say NO on the weekend. Not only is it on our CCTV but it's really close to my work station. There are other sites which are pretty low risk but I like this site.
Viewed from here, and parked there.
IMG_20230107_112818762_HDR.jpgIMG_20230107_073325572.jpg

edgelett

My husband used to work in home security systems and cctv, and now works in security of a very different kind.
Reality is - if someone REALLY wants your stuff, they will take it no matter what safeguards you put on it.
Best you can do it deter them from taking YOUR stuff cause its too risky so they take someone else's stuff instead.
our house has a security system and CCTV, our neighbours have been broken in to and we haven't.
my bike, like yours has a disc lock and so far has been untouched where as others near where I park for work have.

I'm not sure if you can fit an after market alarm to the FTR but it might be something to consider, if yours makes noise when they grab it they will leave it for an easier target.
I don't even know what alarm options there are for bikes at the moment but I seem to recall some disc locks come with an inbuilt alarm?

Ah here we go - this might be what you need. easy to see and LOUD.
https://www.kovixaustralia.com.au/product/kal6/

there are a few other products out there that do the same. This is probably the cheapest, and easiest way to deter a thief.

FTR London

I'm so sorry to hear about this. In addition to what has been said - and I agree, if someone really wants your property they will take it irrespective of the safeguards - it's about making it as difficult and challenging for them as you can.

On the university campus that I work there has been a recent spate of motorcycle thefts this summer. It's believed to be the same syndicate/gang that were previously responsible a few years ago and they have just been released from prison. There is a large multi-storey car park with a bikes parked in a designated bay on the ground level. This is directly in front of the security office and you would think that for this reason they would be less inclined to try. They ride around two up on scooters and target mostly scooters although some sports bikes have been stolen too. They will scope the area then pull up - one will jump off the back with the angle grinder or the crowbar - break the locks, jump on the bike then propelled by the other bike make an escape. They have also used vans and simply lifted the bikes into the back. The university is rich pickings and the campus is very large, so the security can't immediately respond. This doesn't appear to matter to them in the case of the multi-storey car park I mentioned where there have been five attempts last year during the working day - brazenly in front of the security officers stationed there. They don't care and they know no fear. Last summer, an MT-07 was targeted in broad daylight mid morning on a busy main street full of shops, businesses and pedestrians.

At work, I park mine tucked away in a quiet spot of the campus (which oddly seems to be safer) outside the building that I am based in. In addition to the integral front wheel disc lock, I use a Kryptonite on the rear and deploy one of these fuckers anchored around steel railings which I leave there permanently during spring, summer and autumn...

90871c97-bd85-45b9-93ae-35c625ea9ad6.__CR0,0,300,300_PT0_SX300_V1___.png

Staedtler

Just as a heads up, I have heard that some crims pour superglue into permanently railings fixed locks so you can’t use it when you park up, leaving you more vulnerable.
I use 2 Kryptonite M18 d-locks, the one at the front goes nicely through the calliper and wheel to leave it very difficult to get access to.

D

Deleted member 706

@edgelett
Back in the 80's when Kryptonite first came on the market, Christchurch Motorcycles invited anyone and everyone to have a go at the lock. After a few months it finally collapsed, by then heaps of tough bastards had tenderised it...
In this case the bunnies scratched up my Kryptonite disc lock, they probably did more damage to the disc!
Tomorrow morning I get on the trail of the insurance assessor repair shop.

FTR London

Just as a heads up, I have heard that some crims pour superglue into permanently railings fixed locks so you can’t use it when you park up, leaving you more vulnerable.
I use 2 Kryptonite M18 d-locks, the one at the front goes nicely through the calliper and wheel to leave it very difficult to get access to.
I'd heard similar, although not sure how they would be able to penetrate the mechanism on mine. If they did - I guess I'd at least be wise to the fact that someone had their eyes on it. I think it's important to employ a combination of security measures as opposed to one in isolation and I too have an M18, on the rear. Thanks for the heads up though, I can always stow the chain in a locker the days that I'm in.

ng3FUMf4vCM3YgW

I just bought one of these: https://us.litelok.com/

Saw a youtube review where it tore up a lot of grinding discs. I also have one of those disc brake locks with an alarm - I don't expect it to stop a determined thief but the two combined should be a little discouraging.

Breto

After the attempted theft of my bike, I'm curious to know what my options are for putting an alarm or any other security device on the bike. Who knows anything about the options? In the 21st century there must be a bit of hi-tech stuff which can be attached to the bike to warn the thieves and alert the owner. Yes, I do know that about the risks of parking a bike in public unattended, which is why I don't ride the older bikes to work, they're irreplaceable.
At this stage I need to wait until Monday to find out where my bike is in the queue for repairs, or even if it is going to be repaired. The damage looked fairly minimal but I'm told that if there's anything wrong with the wiring then they'll replace the whole loom, ka-ching there goes a couple of grand. If it is written off, it will be a repairable write as opposed to a statutory write off which can never be registered again. I'll cross that bridge if I come to it.
The questions I'm now asking myself are, what will the assessor say and what will I do if they want to write it off. If it's a write off, I'll need to look closely at the assessment and go from there. I want to keep this bike but I'm not sure about what to replace it with if I let it go.
To be continued...
Man that sux…sorry to hear that mate…😔

R. Warshawsky

If it wasn't insured it would not have been parked there.
With the agreed value and the actual market value being so far apart I'm hoping for a written off bike...
Still, it's a major drag to have someone try to take your ride. Sorry it happened.

D

Deleted member 706

Still, it's a major drag to have someone try to take your ride. Sorry it happened.
Thanks for the sentiments...
This bike was not a keeper but having just got it sorted and recently 16,000 Km's serviced it was ready for more of the same. I was planning on putting 30 - 50,000 Km's on it before I let it go. It's likely to be a repairable write off. If it is written off I still have the option of keeping the wreck, but can't cross that bridge until I come to it. I could end up with a very serviceable but roughed up bike and some money in the bank!
Having recently sold a Scout I'm currently looking at an ex USA 1974 T150V Trident as a project bike, this excites me...