Awful grinding from transmission when shifting into 2nd at high RPM

Rhedogian

Thank you guys! I'll pick up the Gixxer shifter arm.

Also big update - I got the oil sample numbers back and Blackstone found no abnormal wear or elevated levels of metal. Definitely breathed a little sigh of relief when I saw those results. In addition, a friend of a friend mentioned that he owned an FTR a while ago and ran into the exact same issue I'm describing and took it to the dealer, who told him it was 'normal behavior'. Ugh.

I'm leaning towards calling this case closed and just dismissing it as a quirk. I want to keep buying american brands, but if this is what passes for 'normal' then it's a lot to put up with. Hopefully that upgraded shifter arm helps.

Anyway, thanks for all you guys' help!

1657690312941.png

johnnynice

Please update the thread with what they say!!
Had an appointment today - first experience with a dealer. I made the appointment weeks in advance for first thing in the morning. I waited until the end of the day, went in right before closing, and they told me they hadn't got around to checking it out yet. Despite this, the gas tank was emptied (about 80km's worth). Won't be going back to that dealership. I'll see what the other dealer in my city says - I'm seeing them next week.

Funny, this dealer also told me that they don't offer ECU flashes/updates for 2019 models to fix the cold start/surging issue- all the forums say they do. Maybe it's something they just don't do in Canada? Looks like I'll be getting a PV3 and that gear shifter arm

edgelett

Maybe it's something they just don't do in Canada?
Well- no not every dealer offers the Lloydz ECU flash. there's only one dealer here in Aus that does. not even every US dealer does it either.

most dealers will be able to put the new Indian ECU software on but that doesn't always fix the issue especially with an aftermarket exhaust.

check the Lloydz website to find which Canadian dealers offer THEIR flash, then get in touch with them and ask what they can do.

johnnynice

Well- no not every dealer offers the Lloydz ECU flash. there's only one dealer here in Aus that does. not even every US dealer does it either.

most dealers will be able to put the new Indian ECU software on but that doesn't always fix the issue especially with an aftermarket exhaust.

check the Lloydz website to find which Canadian dealers offer THEIR flash, then get in touch with them and ask what they can do.
I wasn't referring to the Lloyd's flash, I was referring to the AH2 flash that I've read dealerships will do

Rhedogian

Had an appointment today - first experience with a dealer. I made the appointment weeks in advance for first thing in the morning. I waited until the end of the day, went in right before closing, and they told me they hadn't got around to checking it out yet. Despite this, the gas tank was emptied (about 80km's worth). Won't be going back to that dealership. I'll see what the other dealer in my city says - I'm seeing them next week.

Funny, this dealer also told me that they don't offer ECU flashes/updates for 2019 models to fix the cold start/surging issue- all the forums say they do. Maybe it's something they just don't do in Canada? Looks like I'll be getting a PV3 and that gear shifter arm
Copy paste that comment and leave a google/yelp review lol

edgelett

I wasn't referring to the Lloyd's flash, I was referring to the AH2 flash that I've read dealerships will do
ok yeah sorry wasn't sure what flash you meant. apologies.
The AH2 flash is being put on to people's FTR here in Aus by dealers, as well as by dealers in Eurpoe so I would imagine most (if not all ) dealers in Canada are either putting it on automatically or are at least able to put it on. If they have Digital Wrench they can anyway.

Notaharley

MacBayne

Sorry gents, I'm going to question how that new item fixes everything... I am a Suzuki fanboy, BTW.

I'm not versed in multiple forum reply button sequences.... I am too old... I used to be cool... promise!

But every connection in my pic should have been at a 90 degree angle for best leverage... it wasn't, because I wasn't screwing with what worked... if you bought a used bike, he probably fucked with it.

Is it possible that the new arm and your installations just brought all the connections back to 90 degrees?

Rhedogian

One final update for this thread. I found after much experimenting that if you slightly preload the shifter going from 1st to 2nd then the grinding goes away completely. I'm calling this case closed because this fix, coupled with the fact that my engine and transmission don't appear to be any worse for the wear, means this is issue may just be caused by slop in the linkage somewhere or shitty engineering on behalf of Polaris. Either way, the consensus I've gotten from this forums and talking to some FTR owners locally is that it's a common issue.

Hopefully this preload hack or buying the GSXR shifter arm works out for people!

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Sorry gents, I'm going to question how that new item fixes everything... I am a Suzuki fanboy, BTW.

I'm not versed in multiple forum reply button sequences.... I am too old... I used to be cool... promise!

But every connection in my pic should have been at a 90 degree angle for best leverage... it wasn't, because I wasn't screwing with what worked... if you bought a used bike, he probably fucked with it.

Is it possible that the new arm and your installations just brought all the connections back to 90 degrees?
It’s not a specific Suzuki shift lever. It’s an aftermarket unit, It works on several bikes. It just so happens to have the same tooth count and diameter that works on the ftr, and it’s what it’s advertised on eBay as.

but what it does it shortens the shift throw needed to change gears, allowing you you be a bit less deliberate with shifts.

MacBayne

One final update for this thread. I found after much experimenting that if you slightly preload the shifter going from 1st to 2nd then the grinding goes away completely. I'm calling this case closed because this fix, coupled with the fact that my engine and transmission don't appear to be any worse for the wear, means this is issue may just be caused by slop in the linkage somewhere or shitty engineering on behalf of Polaris. Either way, the consensus I've gotten from this forums and talking to some FTR owners locally is that it's a common issue.

Hopefully this preload hack or buying the GSXR shifter arm works out for people!
This is NOT a solution.

This is NOT a common issue...

If you are searching a similar fix and come to this thread... move on. Pay no heed...

If you need to treat a single shift differently than others other than programming a quickshifter, something is wrong.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Actually it is common. He has a 2019. It was common for 1-2 and 5-6 if you were being lazy with your shifts. Thus why we tried to find a solution, thus the shift arm.

in 22 they changed some parts in the gearbox making it much better.

MacBayne

Actually it is common. He has a 2019. It was common for 1-2 and 5-6 if you were being lazy with your shifts. Thus why we tried to find a solution, thus the shift arm.

in 22 they changed some parts in the gearbox making it much better.
I shall stand down.

Sorry OP

Wolverine-n-eXile

I have this same problem on my 2019. About the same mileage, 3K, and the grinding into 2nd at higher RPM. I find is I short shift, below about 2800 RPM, there is no issue. This obviously impacts quick launchers, at least for me. I also occasionally have the issue going from 5 to 6 too. I'm no expert, but I think of myself as a competent rider. This also the third bike in the stable, so I do have some things to directly compare it too. Love the bike, but there are some "features" that I could do without. I'll pick up that shifter arm and see what that does.

Piccione

Can you please post a pic of this GSXR shift arm mounted on the bike? I just got one and want to install it on my FTR! Thks!

irsh

I ordered the gixxer arm today, hoping that helps with the major 1-2 clunk I'm experiencing (even after a fresh oil change). I think 15w60 is the heaviest oil I've ever used!
Speaking of oil, I used the Indian kit but will be looking at other stuff next change. Can someone link me an oil thread? :p