Catalytic Converter

ReefRides64

I'm flying my bike from UK to Denver to start a 4000 mile road trip across 9 states - Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska, South Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, California.
Ive taken my Cat off in UK and concerned it may be an issue with US customs with emissions etc. Anyone have any dealings with this as I really dont want big problem right at the start of the trip!
Reluctant to put Cat back on as its so ugly and sound is shite but probably safer bet!
Cheers

Max Kool

I have a feeling custom’s don’t care about your exhaust. They just care about filling out the right forms…

mark.lb

I’m no expert - But I think the import rules are not as strict for cars/bikes that are just “visiting” the US as opposed to vehicles that are imported to stay in the US or for resale in the US. There is a thread on the other Forum about this subject. A member has to leave his Roadmaster in Taiwan because it does not comply with US regulations even though it was built in the US.

Last edited:

Breto

I have a feeling custom’s don’t care about your exhaust. They just care about filling out the right forms…
I’d tend to agree Max. I suppose the only place I could think of that you may experience grief would be California. They seem to be really anal about modifications. But that’s just my take from all the performance gear I’ve bought over the years for my bikes. Always comes with a card or sticker saying illegal in the state of California. Could be wrong not being a native of the states but its definitely a thing.

Max Kool

I suppose the only place I could think of that you may experience grief would be California. They seem to be really anal about modifications.
As a private person you can pretty much do whatever you want. Vehicle inspections are done by the DMV, not customs. Motorcycles registered in CA do not have any inspections.

(selling stuff is different, but an “off highway use only” label helps a lot)

arobert3

I'm flying my bike from UK to Denver to start a 4000 mile road trip across 9 states - Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska, South Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, California.
Ive taken my Cat off in UK and concerned it may be an issue with US customs with emissions etc. Anyone have any dealings with this as I really dont want big problem right at the start of the trip!
Reluctant to put Cat back on as its so ugly and sound is shite but probably safer bet!
Cheers
I very much doubt if they would even notice, nor start it up, nor even know if that is legal or not, however, they will be completely up to speed on the documentation you require for temporary importation - and I am kind of curious about that myself. I have often thought about how many overseas biking trips I would like to do but would prefer to ride my own bike. How much is it costing to ship?

MacBayne

OP, you and I seem to be on the same opposite sides of the page... lol! I am looking at shipping my bike to the UK for a good trip. The difference is I am coming from Canada.

This is not the right forum to ask this question, at all, IMO.

This forum is young (the FTR is what.... 4 years old?) and not quite the "niche" that you are looking for.
Find something like a BMW forum or a forum that caters to "international" riders, making international journeys.

For example, my province of Alberta has quite lax rules on what is roadworthy WRT emissions and California is super-strict. I can still ride my machine there, without cat converter...

But that's from Canada.

arobert3

I had some friends in England (I am English but live in the US) - they are looking at a trip down Chile next year and asked me to join them - they researched shipping their bikes over and then looked at renting, I think now that they are of the opinion that the cheapest way to do this (language allowing) is to actually buy a bike for the trip (in Chile) and then sell it afterwards (in Chile) - this may actually make most sense if you have a friend on the ground wherever you are going to set things up for you.