CharlieMurphays FTR

Walrus

Well kitted out and extremely handsome!
A most excellent job.
I rode a 2019. Prefer the new 17-inch wheels, which I bought.
But horses for courses.
You done good.

Charliemurphay

Spring maintenance time!

I changed the engine oil. She is now running Amsoil 15W-60. I’ve always liked Amsoil products and figured why not switch her over. I had been running the Indian brand oil til now.

Installed EBC double-H brake pads up front, excited to see how those eliminate the uneven deposits from the Brembo pads that cause the warped rotor feeling.image.jpg

Installed some fancy AF gold farkles from pro bolt USA because I like to color coordinate.
D513F37C-D3AD-48F7-9DD1-F9A762FCCC44.jpeg

WARNING-CONTROVERSIAL
I was going to flush and change my coolant and I decided to experiment with Evan’s waterless coolant. It’s blue. And slick. Will report on any new behaviors.
2C019FB1-AC0D-41CE-8220-2A24A5F3A04D.jpeg
EF146CEE-A31C-4A93-9FAD-C2E3709BBF1F.jpeg

Performed the bikes second fork oil change since new. Considering how dirty this stuff gets in a relatively short time, I think I’m going to make this a yearly maintenance item every spring. Not hard to do just mildly time consuming. The old oil is only 1 year/~7.5k miles old.
D509139A-E11D-47D1-A2D3-FA5C5BC5B9A4.jpeg
DF41D398-D0B5-4B52-B9DF-CE557C47168F.jpeg

Finally will be a through deep clean and light polish to make her sparkle from getting dusty under the cover all winter.

Max Kool

Give those pads about 1000 miles of normal use. To scrub those old deposits off 😉

(and I would never switch to Evans)

Charliemurphay

Well, since my local dealer became a remote tuner and a Lloydz dealer after an ownership change, my curiosity got the better of me and I bit the bullet to go from a FuelMoto tune to a Secret Sauce bench flash.

First thing I notice right off the bat is the idle. It sounds like it idles a couple hundred rpm lower and has a bit of a lope to it which I don't mind the sound of.

Riding it the biggest difference I notice right away is light throttle. Under light throttle it is definitely less twitchy (than even the rev b FuelMoto tune). I now see what they say by buttery smooth because it is a distinct bit of difference. There is now ZERO popping on decel. There was a LOT on the factory tune, then with the FuelMoto tune it would do two distinct pops on decel and now there are none.

When coming to a stop the little throttle blip at 2k rpm was all but eliminated with the FuelMoto tune but it still did it a teeny bit. That is gone entirely now.

I didn't have much of an opportunity to really open the taps on the way home but the little I did it felt plenty peppy. Hard to say if I regained the mid range that I lost when I installed the S&S high pipes but I wouldn't be surprised if I did.

All in all, I'm very satisfied. Is it worth going from one to the other if you already have the FuelMoto? Well that's hard to say as it's your money do what you want. That said I don't regret the switch at all and I would have done the bench tune first given the option to go back in time to when I bought the bike.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Yeah it’s realllllly hard to convey to people how smooth it is till they try it. Seems fm upped the idle really high to mask cold idle issues without fixing the problem. Kinda what Indian did with ah2. Ryan figured out how to fix the issue without masking it.

side note. Have a part number or link to that front sprocket bolt? I need one

Charliemurphay

This is the one I got. It’s almost twice as thick as the stock nut so the shaft isn’t flush with the inside of the nut when it’s fully torque. And because of the flange on the nut the stock lock washer is kind of useless to bend onto the edge of the nut.

But it’s a pretty nut and I like it anyways.

Last edited:

Charliemurphay

Well….shit happened. SUV merged into me as I was passing it. Forced me onto the shoulder and I lost the front and down I went. Stay safe folks, my gear did it’s job and after sliding and rolling down the freeway at 70mph I just had a few bruises. The FTR is down for awhile while the local Lloydz dealer is getting her fixed up. All things considered damage isn’t terrible. Frame and axle sliders took the brunt of the damage.
I’ll be happy if I have her back by end of August.CF6D0258-10D7-4B0B-8B81-AF9F28817966.jpeg49288903-5FD3-4A93-813D-8D2A7AAD3781.jpegF29FF2B4-D85C-46AC-A6F9-9BEEFA18FDB6.jpeg9290FC80-C0B4-405F-9B71-88F53B0D3AEC.jpegB3A539BD-3429-4992-B1A8-B974204098B3.jpeg1A273C23-6F09-4300-B36E-C6049567E6B5.jpegC9165659-A65D-40E1-AEDD-2484639A8865.jpeg