Check engine light, but no code

• Thread starter Deleted member 677
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 677

I rode my bike to work today and it drove just fine. At lunch I had no problems, but when I started it to return home I had trouble getting the neutral indicator to light on the display, despite the bike being in neutral. Once the bike was started the light came on after a minute during warm up. It was on the way home that I noticed the check engine light had came on. When I returned home I connected the PV3 and checked for codes, but none were tripped. But when I pushed "clear codes" on the PV3, the check engine light went off.

I'm not sure the neutral light being tricky is connected to the check engine light, but it is possible. I have the S&S engine module, which gives the bike the rider modes. It plugs into the clutch lever switch, so I thought that may have come loose, but it is fine. The bike ran fine this entire time. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 677

The gear indicator works fine ?
Yes the gear indicator works fine. I just went and started the bike to see if the light stayed off and it is gone. Something tripped it so I am tenative to ride too far until I am comfortable it is staying off. But I still am going to wonder what caused the light

I will take it for a short ride and see if everything is normal. I am not sure what types of issues will cause a check engine light, but don't register important enough to have a code.

J0988

I’ve gotten a few check engine lights for small issues that resolved themselves. I’ve gotten one for a misfire on start-up, one for an issue with my display on start-up, and just a couple days ago I got one for putting the kickstand down when the bike was in gear....weird stuff. It’s nice having self-diagnostics on the TFT display. If there were no codes, the bike ran fine, and the lights off now I wouldn’t worry about it.

D

Deleted member 677

That's really strange that such small insignificant things will cause the check engine light! like you said, it's running fine, and the light is gone so I should be fine. I will just keep an eye on it I guess until my confidence returns.

Thanks for letting me know all of the situations that caused your check engine light. I'm a little less worried now!

D

Deleted member 677

Flashing check engine light or solid, when it first came on?
It was a solid light. And after I cleared it, I haven't seen it again...yet. I am hoping it was a simple thing, since it didn't produce a code.

Tombo66

I've had this same issue with the bike not indicating it's in Neutral when starting, which creates challenges in starting the bike, etc.
did you ever find a fix for this?