Front Fork

nineteen sixty

Goodmorning Guys,
Ftr 1200 R Carbon MY 2022 (17" wheels).
I have a question relative to the front fork; what is the distance between the top end of the outer tube and upper surface of the steering stem head?
Anyone has the service workshop manual?
Thanks in advance
bye bye

kiwi dave

Can't you just measure the distance yourself?

I have the workshop manual for a 2019 FTR1200 if would like to view it. Message me your email address, and I'll flick you a copy.

SURGEFTR

Goodmorning Guys,
Ftr 1200 R Carbon MY 2022 (17" wheels).
I have a question relative to the front fork; what is the distance between the top end of the outer tube and upper surface of the steering stem head?
Anyone has the service workshop manual?
Thanks in advance
bye bye
Sorry, this will not be in any manual. You'll need to measure. Not sure what you mean by steering stem head

Max Kool

Maybe the op wants to know how far the forks are supposed to extend above the top yoke?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 429

Just measured mine and RHS is 15.29 and the LHS is 15.75... So 15.5mm should be about it.
I've found it hard to get a setting for the bike but getting there... The latest settings are shown for a 170 Lb rider.
1628610471959.png

nineteen sixty

Can't you just measure the distance yourself?

I have the workshop manual for a 2019 FTR1200 if would like to view it. Message me your email address, and I'll flick you a copy.
Hi,
I took the measurement; the current value is 17 mm (0.669291 in.).
In the following image the value I would like to know is displayed as "????".
In the workshop manual this value "????" what does it correspond to?
My bike is the "FTR 1200 R Carbon MY 2022" with 17 inch wheels.
Thank you
Front Fork.jpg

D

Deleted member 429

The 15.5mm average reading that I have quoted is to the very top of the fork leg...
That's the fork leg top and not the top of the adjuster nut...
The dimension shown is the the edge of the chamfer, again the measurement I've give is the fork top not to the chamfer.
Sorry for any confusions, I hope this helps.

kiwi dave

My 2019 FTR1200S measures 13 mm. I can't recall ever adjusting it, so I have to assume it was like this from the factory.

Since the FTR is such a tall bike for me, there would be advantages increasing this measurement. However, past experience tells me the bike may become unstable.

Basically, I'm too chicken!

Max Kool

Ha! I have aftermarket suspension front and rear, Mupo LCRR cartridges in the front, with linear springs, and a Mupo AB1 Evo rear shock. My bike stands 2” taller than a stock one so that’s hard to compare.

D

Deleted member 429

Increasing this dimension effetely lowering the bike at the front would at best just make it turn in a little better...But as said before it has fairly lazy geometry..

S2Davies

Just checked mine, 13.5mm to the top to of the gold section. We should remember though if your one of those owners unhappy with your bike on the side stand, lowering the front may be a problem for you........stating the obvious I know..........sorry.

Last edited:

nineteen sixty

Hi,
I took the measurement; the current value is 17 mm (0.669291 in.).
In the following image the value I would like to know is displayed as "????".
In the workshop manual this value "????" what does it correspond to?
My bike is the "FTR 1200 R Carbon MY 2022" with 17 inch wheels.
Thank you
View attachment 4242

For your info.
Today I was able to speak by telephone with the workshop of an Indian dealer; according to the workshop manual, the value "????" is equal to 12 mm.
After correcting the distance from 17mm to 12mm the bike became more stable when cornering.
bye

FTR London

On the subject of forks...

IMG_20211116_165246177.jpgIMG_20211116_165548294_MP.jpg
IMG_20211116_165950644.jpg
IMG_20211116_170023834.jpg

So, so pleased with this and to be rid of that migraine inducing tacky gold - (simmer down, purely my opinion!). Next season, ditch the Conti IIIs for dual sports tyres or the OEM DT-3s. probably remove the front fender altogether, wafer thin tracker seat, race side plates - and budget permitting, either the low mount Toce, or I might simply say fuck it and go for what I most wanted which is the FT style high mount S&S system. Shame nothing can be done about the dreadful TFT display :mad:. Within two years the objective is and always was to own an Indian that actually vaguely resembles the spartan nature and appearance of their actual flat track racer that it absurdly purports to be.

FTR London

Oh wow, you got those German covers, right?
Well spotted as usual.

Considered getting the base model ones, but didn't want to downgrade - also didn't want to fork out on new ones (sorry).

Beautifully machined and fit like a glove. Saved a huge amount of dough.