FTR 1200, it's turning into a love hate thing...

D

Deleted member 677

^^
Your last diminishing hopes are about to disappear altogether if you're expecting the dealership alone to sort out the running and cold start issues? You may as well save yourself five weeks wait and subsequent disappointment and knock it on now. Take the hit and you could be on a less irksome steed by this time next week if not before? The fuse blowing is easily sorted with the correct approach and someone with a multimeter that knows how to use it. Short circuits are the easiest to locate.

What fuse is it that is blowing the lower O2 sensor heater 7.5 amp one of the two at the top middle? At a very quick glance there appears to be two fitted on the bike, each one is mounted in the headers adjacent to the heat-shields on the exhausts, one may be shorting to ground? I would carry out a insulation/resistance check on both and compare values/findings to see if one is shorting to ground as a start. If that is beyond you, you could also try disconnecting each one in turn and turning on the ignition to see if the fuse blows? Bearing in mind being a CanBus bike disconnecting it will likely throw up more codes and you may blow a few fuses carrying out this procedure trying to track the culprit down? If the dealership's already got it do yourself a favor and go bike hunting, after all you do have a little spare time on your hands whilst you sit out the 5 weeks.
No, I am definitely not expecting the dealer to sorr out the cold start or stalling issues. I just want the fault codes and check engine light checked and cleared. Its under warranty, so I was afraid to dig into it to much. The fuse that is blowing is the 7.5 amp O2 heater fuse in the center at 2nd from top. My turn signals also quit working when the fault codes came up. It won't start either. I will let them take a shot at it with the warranty before its gone in March. I never ever take my bike to a dealer. But with this bike I have started to give up. So I am using my warranty while I have it still. Who knows where I go from there.

D

Deleted member 706

Below the battery tray you have three connectors ! The fuses are hanging on the connector ! The one on the outside is the main fuse (40A).
Thank you very much Sir, that was the problem, when I opened up the fuse connector I couldn't see a fuse! The torch soon showed the fuse was inside the connector housing. I out the fuse back in and then hooked up the battery via the jump leads, as soon as I turned the key things lit up and the speedo needle jumped back to zero, now to reassemble and road test. I also have the peace of mind of knowing the wirng to the tail tidy is A OK, yes I stripped it down for a look see.
This begs the question of how come it fell out? My guess is that it was loose fit for quite awhile and when I got up in the hills among the twisties and bumpies it simply fell out. Did it come from the factory with a loose fitting fuse or did it happen when they did the circuit breaker recall? DILLIGAFF, it's fixed and that's all that matters to me. I'm getting to know the bike better than I thought I would! I'm sort enjoying working on this bike too. I pretty much stopped working on bikes , arthritic hands and lack of expertise were my excuse but this bike is quite easy to work on compared to others.

IMG_20201102_150305.jpg

D

Deleted member 706

Yeah K9F, I'm happy with the outcome, it is satisfying to do some work myself. The FTR is not a bad bike to work on, I did do more than was required but I now know that I have eliminated the possible other factors.
I have to ride about 75K's to get back to the good roads again, but I did knock up 60K's in a shakedown ride after completing the work. It's good doing the work myself because the test rides are mine too.

J0988

No, I am definitely not expecting the dealer to sorr out the cold start or stalling issues. I just want the fault codes and check engine light checked and cleared. Its under warranty, so I was afraid to dig into it to much. The fuse that is blowing is the 7.5 amp O2 heater fuse in the center at 2nd from top. My turn signals also quit working when the fault codes came up. It won't start either. I will let them take a shot at it with the warranty before its gone in March. I never ever take my bike to a dealer. But with this bike I have started to give up. So I am using my warranty while I have it still. Who knows where I go from there.
This is exactly what was happening to me when I damaged the harness pigtail that connects to the rear turn signals and license plate light. Head light and tail light still worked, but the display, starter, turn signals and license plate light did not.

D

Deleted member 706

FFS here we go again.
I went to start the bike and no reply from the starter button. The dash lights up when I turn the key, but nothing when I press the starter, the battery is charged. I'm guessing it's fuse but haven't had the time to check them out yet.
This is pretty shabby from a new (ish) bike I shouldn't be having these issues and I'm starting to regret buying this bike.
Any thoughts or insights, please, FTR owners.

K9F

Same symptoms as last time? Same fault I'd say. I haven't looked at the fuses personally but would surmise that the fuse retainer has some form of locking mechanism? Make sure it's fully engaged and/or locked.

Thoughts and insights as to what 'could' be your issue are pure speculation, something that could be debated all day on a rainy day like we've got today.

Start where you left off first, you sorted it once albeit temporarily.

D

Deleted member 706

It wasn't the same symptoms as last time, this time it was blown fuse. I should've looked at it before posting, anyway the egg wiped of my face pretty easily...

K9F

You now have a short to ground somewhere? What fuse is it that is rupturing?

**Late edit** In the third picture you posted on this thread there is a loom that appears to be a little slack and close to the chain. This has been the issue with others where it has caught the chain.

D

Deleted member 706

You now have a short to ground somewhere? What fuse is it that is rupturing?

**Late edit** In the third picture you posted on this thread there is a loom that appears to be a little slack and close to the chain. This has been the issue with others where it has caught the chain.
This leads on to this...

So the FTR has a battery charger connector hanging out the left and side of the bike, it's a male/female clip on.
My first question is which is the positive and which is the negative? This leads on to another question if I connected a battery charger to the wrong terminals would it blow a fuse on the bike?
I have a C-Tek charger and bodgied up a connection to the original coupling, the connector I bought had the usual red and black wires I think that they are red to negative and black to positive. I also think this has led to me making a wrong connection then I've had to replace a fuse shortly after.
I plan to wire in a C-Tek charger connection but that needs a bit of fettling to make it happen.

K9F

You blew it in your incorrect assumption red is negative. It's not the bike that's 'shabby' as you so eloquently put it but the workmanship now being carried out.

See my answer on your duplicate post:

D

Deleted member 706

I know red is positive but the bodgied set up has switched colours , now I know which is which...

K9F

Great, I sense the shabby traits your FTR are exhibiting are just about to fade into oblivion? As mentioned if the tender was any good it should protect against reverse polarity. Maybe time to buy one that hasn't been butchered?

Charliemurphay

I had a cheaper battery tender that the FTR didn’t like and when I plugged it in it blew the same fuse, with the same results. Everything comes on, but no starter button and I believe no horn either. Replaced the fuse everything was good and no issues since. I dumped the cheap tender and bought the recommended AGM one off Amazon for $85 usd.

Reactions: K9F