Has Anyone Ridden a 2023 Model?

ciphfer

I was wondering if anyone has ridden one of the 2023 FTR's. They continue to mention a new updated clutch and other quality of life upgrades to the braking system. Other than changing the display, which now has GPS I am curious to know if there is any real difference from the 2022 models.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
There is NO updated clutch for the new ftrs. That was only for the big cruiser bikes that got a slipper clutch. The ftr already has a slipper. as far as braking I’m not sure. They probably just changed the pads since everything else looks the same.

• All Thunderstroke and PowerPlus models receive a new clutch – improving the overall feel and forgiveness. This new slipper clutch reduces engine drag which provides a smoother down shifting experience and comfortable ride while improving your ability to maintain traction when facing poor road conditions. Lastly, the larger friction zone and decreased lever effort reduces your clutch fatigue, which can be beneficial in urban areas or when riding in traffic.”

Staedtler

Just wondering how you are so certain? It can still be a new clutch (different manufacturer etc) but with the the same funcaitonality (slip & assist), can't it?

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Just wondering how you are so certain? It can still be a new clutch (different manufacturer etc) but with the the same funcaitonality (slip & assist), can't it?
Because one of the perks of being an ambassador for IMC I get the direct information releases from IMC.

no where was it ever mentioned the ftr got an improved clutch.

Staedtler

The bike I sat on at the UK Birmingham bike show had a much lighter feeling clutch than my MY19, will be interesting to hear review when people finally get to ride the MY23's to see how that translates.

Staedtler

The MY23 parts catalogue is also now available, clutch pics look different between the two, not just part number either. Time will tell!

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
If it had the Gilles clutch lever that can also lead to a different reel depending how the perch is designed.

ciphfer

Thanks for the responses.

A lot of publications are commenting on a new designed clutch for the FTR. Here is a quote below from Cycleworld:

"Like Indian’s heavyweight line, all four models of FTR have received an all-new clutch designed to improve feel and performance"

And here is the link:

I just wanted to share where I read about the FTR's having a new clutch.

edgelett

Thanks for the responses.

A lot of publications are commenting on a new designed clutch for the FTR. Here is a quote below from Cycleworld:

"Like Indian’s heavyweight line, all four models of FTR have received an all-new clutch designed to improve feel and performance"

And here is the link:

[/URL]

I just wanted to share where I read about the FTR's having a new clutch.
yep I've seen it written in multiple articles too.

weird they would harp on about it if there's no change.

Staedtler

Don't you still need to use the lever with a Rekluse clutch as the FTR doesn't have a quickshifter? MY22 clutch is 1334408...

mark.lb

maybe people simply worked out how to use the existing clutch properly lol!
I have no complaints about the clutch on my 2019 FTR-RR. Mine is very smooth and progressive. Hard downshifts at speed are very controlled and have never caused the rear tire to grab or chirp. I have ridden bikes with grabby, unpredictable clutches and the FTR is not one of them.