Has Anyone Ridden a 2023 Model?

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Depends which rekluse you buy. They have a full manual like I have. Or a semi auto where you don’t have to use the clutch. Which I’m not a fan of those.

edgelett

I have no complaints about the clutch on my 2019 FTR-RR. Mine is very smooth and progressive. Hard downshifts at speed are very controlled and have never caused the rear tire to grab or chirp. I have ridden bikes with grabby, unpredictable clutches and the FTR is not one of them.
I never had an issue with mine either. But my hubby's 2022 is a bit snappy.

MacBayne

Just a tidbit, here...

Magazines only reprint what they are told in the press material. Have you ever noticed that if you read reviews about the same bike in two different magazines, they say 99% of the same stuff? Magazine reviews are simply advertisements for the manufacturers and they toe the line. Could you imagine if, somehow, Motorcycle Cruiser Magazine pissed off HD by saying this year was a bunch of junk and didn't get an invite to the Cruiser line release Presser, next year?

There could have been a misprint in the pamphlet Indian mailed-out.

Anyhoo... maybe ferraiolo has the right contacts to answer this for sure, but the best way to be sure is part's fiche, or disassembly.

Staedtler

Already looked at and confirmed clutches have different part numbers and appearance in my previous post..but seem to have been ignored.

MacBayne

Already looked at and confirmed clutches have different part numbers and appearance in my previous post..but seem to have been ignored.
I read it and tried to investigate myself to confirm. I could NOT find 2023 fiches or numbers. You were not ignored kind sir, I thought it may have just ben an error. Maybe it's my Canckistan internet.

Link to '23 parts?

Staedtler

I read it and tried to investigate myself to confirm. I could NOT find 2023 fiches or numbers. You were not ignored kind sir, I thought it may have just ben an error. Maybe it's my Canckistan internet.

Link to '23 parts?
You can select IND from the first drop down, 2023 from the second, then FTR (etc) from the third. You can then compare to 2022 for clutches
https://parts.polarisind.com/Browse/Browse.asp

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
This is the part diagram from the 2019 vs the 23. They are exactly the same. Sometimes they change the pn if they source them from a different manufacture or if there is a small change in a bearing or something. And the new pn supersedes it.

I already posted the direct quote from the information IMC released about the new model year. No mention at all about the ftr clutch. The clutches in the cruiser bikes are 100% different thought.

do you have a link to the article where it stated the ftr clutch was changed for 2023?

Attachments

• 7DDAB2C7-C5AD-492F-BACE-9D78CF2995D1.jpeg
    7DDAB2C7-C5AD-492F-BACE-9D78CF2995D1.jpeg
    438.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
This is also on the 2019 parts diagram. It shows the clutch assembly number from the 2023. As it replaced the old number. But if you look at the friction plates, hub, basket, and other parts. They are still the same pns between 2019 and 23

Attachments

• 57CACBBF-591C-4DF8-B1AA-7FFE7E211FEF.jpeg
    57CACBBF-591C-4DF8-B1AA-7FFE7E211FEF.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 3

Staedtler

191674844412717.png
1674844516267.png
Different part numbers. Different looking parts (please see items 4 & 18 for example). Different clutches. What am I missing?

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
looks like the inner hub was slightly changed. It doesn’t mean they are different clutches. It also shouldn’t affect how the clutch operates or feels. The actual friction plates and other parts are still the same pns.

Who is “they”? “They continue to mention a new updated clutch”

Last edited:

edgelett

looks like the inner hub was slightly changed. It doesn’t mean they are different clutches. It also shouldn’t affect how the clutch operates or feels. The actual friction plates and other parts are still the same pns.

Who is “they”? “They continue to mention a new updated clutch”
https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/20...several improvements.,a new tank panel design.
  1. The 2023 Indian FTR lineup shares several improvements. The brakes are tuned for a more aggressive response, there is a new clutch, there’s a new muffler (the R Carbon still has the Akrapovič unit), the dash is mounted a bit higher for easier viewing, and there’s a new tank panel design

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/bikes/indian/ftr-sport-2023-review
Indian also says the clutch has been revised to give improved feel

https://www.mcnews.com.au/2023-indian-ftr-sport-ftr-r-carbon-specifications/
Indian Motorcycle also moved the speedometer up for easier viewing and added a new clutch for improved feel and performance.

https://www.motorcycle.com/new-model-preview/2023-indian-ftr-sport-first-look.html
The entire FTR range receives a new clutch offering improved feel and performance

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/story/news/indian-motorcycle-ftr-sport-first-look-preview-2023/
The speedometer is repositioned to allow for an easier view and the clutch is new, promising improved feel and function

DeplorableOne

I have no complaints about the clutch on my 2019 FTR-RR. Mine is very smooth and progressive. Hard downshifts at speed are very controlled and have never caused the rear tire to grab or chirp. I have ridden bikes with grabby, unpredictable clutches and the FTR is not one of them.
really? Mine locks up if I downshift a little bit too early, Really wasn't fun on the OG tires if I downshifted in a corner. I'd say 3-2-1 coming down the tires bites on mine pretty regularly. Cheapo Shinko tires I put on it are a night and day difference and a huge improvement over stock. Still slips the rear tire, but not nearly to the extent it used to.

acrws

really? Mine locks up if I downshift a little bit too early, Really wasn't fun on the OG tires if I downshifted in a corner. I'd say 3-2-1 coming down the tires bites on mine pretty regularly. Cheapo Shinko tires I put on it are a night and day difference and a huge improvement over stock. Still slips the rear tire, but not nearly to the extent it used to.
I have a ‘19 RR and I have literally never experienced what you’re describing, on stock tires or better ones….sounds to me like your clutch forgot it’s a slipper! ):

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
My god I’m an idiot.

“Indian Motorcycle also moved the speedometer up for easier viewing and added a new clutch for improved feel and performance.”

I’m sorry op. I looked at my press release again. I was 100% in the wrong. Insert my foot in mouth.

although idk how just a new inner hub will change that much with everything else being the same. But There is a guy on fb who sold his 2019 for a 23 who says his clutch engagement is smoother.

ciphfer

Hopefully we will soon get a proper review from one of the popular publications which has previously ridden the 2022 models. I am really curious to hear if there are any substantial improvements regarding the clutch engagement. My 22 Carbon was really finicky in the beginning, but has improved a bit with the break in (I completely turned off the cylinder deactivation). I also think the stated improvement in the placing of the speedometer is a proper move. I do have to somewhat look down to check my speed, when I notice those annoying cameras coming up. I think the rear brakes could use a bit more bite as well.

To be honest, I would really think of trading up to the 23 carbon, but the color scheme is not for me. I absolutely love the way they put together the 22. My biggest gripe I have is I had to wait until the end of October to get the thing.