Hibernation procedure

Vippen

Hi folks,

It's been a while since I had a "proper" bike (only year round enduro machines the last 20 years), having to store it for winter, so I just wanted to check what procedures You would recommend before putting Your steed into a four-five month hibernation? I've got a good battery chareger which I've hooked up to keep the battery in shape, is there anything else I should do to be able to just kick it live again in April?

FTRUK

Get some fuel stabilizer in the tank and run it through the system.And keep the tyres off the floor ,like on a mat.
maybe a bag on the exhaust with a rubber band. Cover it in sheets ,Just what I did .

Charliemurphay

I do an oil change in addition to all of the above. Check tire pressures, good battery tender hooked up, fuel tank topped and with a stabilizer, and on a rear and front stand to keep the tires off the ground. Then finally a deep deep thorough cleaning before putting the cover on.

devinbreeding

Put it on stands top it off with fuel and let her sit

If I recall from this video correctly when Fortnine released it, he determined fuel stabilizer is basically frauding people out of money. I just keep it topped off fully and no tender but I do make an excuse to jump on it on nice days every couple weeks minimum and ride around the neighborhood for a bit.

Vippen

Thank You all for the feed-back!

I've got the battery tender (didn't know the word in English...) sorted, and I can do "fill her up" (not really full at this point though). Never heard of fuel stabilizer, but it seems it's not consensus on its use so I'll let be without. Also, I've got a cover, mostly to protect from whatever dust comes from other activities in the garage.

There will be trouble keeping it (and the Husqvarna Svartpilen sitting beside it) on stands though, due to the cramped space in my garage (and lack of stands, only got one rear stand). For the same reason I have to shuffle them around every now and then, though, which I guess will have to be good enough for the tires for now.

Last edited:

Max Kool

Ideally, take the batteries out of both, and put them on a workbench. Trickle charge them one night every three to four weeks. (y)

Blue1

Before ethanol polluted fuel, I topped off my tank as full as possible and that was it.

Had a condo then, bike was in Jersey winters all year under a cover. Never had an issue. Started up in spring with three or four seconds of starter. Of course, with the bike being outside, the battery was pulled, kept indoors and trickle charged occasionally over the winter to keep it fresh.

Since ethanol polluted fuel, I put in Stabil, top it off and drive it home a mile from the gas station, where it sits in an attached garage that never comes close to freezing (upper thirties at the coldest, only a few days per winter) and my ZRX1200, my 'busa, and my FTR have started in the spring with about three seconds of starter.

Then I run the tank with the winter fuel close to empty and fill up with fresh fuel and have had zero issues.

Battery in bike, on a battery tender always through winter and in season when not riding.

It is important to keep it topped off completely, limiting the amount of air space where moisture can condense and introduce water into the fuel.