How far on 'Low Fuel/Reserve'

motocroft

Hi legends, wanted to hear of owners' experience with low fuel and how far you have left in the tank

Had a good fang today - started with a ~30 min freeway slab then into urban roads for another ~15 mins before a good 60 mins of flogging up and down a twisty section before returning home (~2.5 hrs total, non-stop) .
Route was approx. 170kms/105miles on the dash with the fuel lamp illuminated and 'Low' showing in place of range.

I filled up and got just over 10L/2.6 gallons in the tank so in theory had ~3L/0.8 gallons in reserve.
Curious on how far we can go when showing 'Low' on the dash?
Seems a cautious 50kms/30 miles might be possible on reserve if really stuck?
Interested on your insights.

Last edited:

K9F

If memory serves me correctly you will have a mileage displayed as a reminder down to about 12-16 miles remaining, thereafter it switches to low. NOT to be relied upon, basically fuel must be your priority.

EllenGtrGrl

If memory serves me correctly you will have a mileage displayed as a reminder down to about 12-16 miles remaining, thereafter it switches to low. NOT to be relied upon, basically fuel must be your priority.

Yep, I agree. The gas gauges, and the low fuel lights are just a nice reference/reminder that you REALLY should gas up your FTR. They're really not that accurate. When I had my BMWs there were often discussions on the BMW forums, about how riders found out the hard way that they had waaay less fuel than the fuel gauges indicated was in their tanks. Having pushed a 540lb (245kg) motorcycle a mile (1.6 km) home after it died several years ago (the bike's problem was not fuel related), I have no desire to deal that experience again, due to my forgetting to put in gas, so I make it a habit of gassing up at the 2 bar mark (or if I know I'm close to a gas station, the 1 bar mark). I will admit, I started to get pretty nervous, when I was making my final ride of the season last Thursday (a 25 mile [40 km] commute home from work - all done on back roads), when the fuel indicator hit the 1 bar mark, with no gas stations in sight and with well over 10 miles (16 km) to go before I got to the gas station where I planned to fill up the tank, add fuel stabilizer, and make the short remaining ride home (where the FTR was going to be shut down, to end my riding season). I most certainly went easy on the throttle, until I got to the gas station.

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
I’ve gone 30miles of very gingerly riding off a mountain after the low light illuminated around 100 miles. It was sputtering into the fuel station.

I reset my trip meter every time I fuel up. That way I know how many miles I have left once the low light comes on

D

Deleted member 706

I have a base model and I've often been tempted to hit the road with a full can and a funnel...
Maybe one day I'll do it. 🙄

kiwi dave

My light light normally comes on around 230 kM (143 miles). I have managed 330 kM (205 miles) once! I was crossing the North Island Desert Road, and forget to check my mileage before entering. Trying to open the throttle but not really gets quite difficult.

A couple of years ago, I was in Australia riding a borrowed Triumph with carburetors and heading down to Port Lincoln from the A1. Of course, I never made it, and some kind guy picked me up and took me to the next gas station, and while I was filling my newly purchased gas can, he kindly organized a ride back to my bike. Stupidly, I had both gas taps on, not knowing that there was a reserve on one.

After Port Lincoln I rode up to Ceduna, and then headed back along the A1 back east. I had already given the gas can away, as I wouldn't make the same mistake twice, right? Well, there was next to nothing in the way of fuel stops along this road, and realized there is no requirement for multiple stops anymore ,and these little fuel stops go out of business. Saw the remains of many closed stations, and nearly did it again!

edgelett

My light light normally comes on around 230 kM (143 miles). I have managed 330 kM (205 miles) once!
what the actual????
How are you getting that much! is that freeway riding?
I usually get between 150 to 180kms before the 'low fuel' light comes on!

We're riding from Adelaide to Robe in a week so I am hoping to get better mileage on that trip

kiwi dave

I must be a lot gentler on the throttle than you, Edgelett. :)

My FTR is in hibernation at the moment so I won't be able to confirm this until I get it back on the road again. I am running the latest Fuel Moto map and I am a very gentle rider. :sneaky:

motocroft

Thanks for the replies all.
Yes - like with every bike I've ever had I always reset trip meter when refueling. I'm getting about 150/160 kms per tank before the range changes to 'Low'
I reckon there's a cautious 40/50kms at this point (but don't want to test it!)

D

Deleted member 706

@Mlazarus
I have to go 100 Ks to my preferred dealership so it wouldn't be hard to refuel before I get there and when I get home I grab the spare fuel and the open road is on my back door step.

D

Deleted member 706

Ouch...
I just had a thought!
It's generally not a good idea to run a tank dry because of the dregs getting through the injectors, I'd say they'd be minimal on my bike as it is not a high mileage bike.
The thing I'm wondering about is will I have to bleed the injectors like you do with diesel engines?
Can I just add fuel and crank it over?

motocroft

Ouch...
I just had a thought!
It's generally not a good idea to run a tank dry because of the dregs getting through the injectors, I'd say they'd be minimal on my bike as it is not a high mileage bike.
The thing I'm wondering about is will I have to bleed the injectors like you do with diesel engines?
Can I just add fuel and crank it over?
I doubt there would be too much issue with running dry and sucking up vast amounts of muck due to the inline fuel filter (should catch it before it gets anywhere near the injectors or ports I would think?)

RE: Priming - there is a documented priming procedure using the kill switch to cycle the fuel pump.
Priming the Fuel System (polarisportal.com)
1634787989627.png

Keles

in general you can't say how many km you can drive with the reserve. It always depends on the driving style. I've had the experience at least 30 km. The display lights up from the kilometer 150 to 210 km .. by that I mean how you were on the road. I even managed a total of 252 km, but had to push the last 600 meters. So far I have stayed four times. Since then I have had a 2 liter reserve canister with me. Since I fill up to the top of the tank, I've already refueled 13.5 liters of petrol

cupcake_mike

In normal numbers (lol), I typically get around 105 miles before the low fuel light comes on (base 19 FTR, decat with racefit and v6 tune), this after 12.5k miles clocked on the bike in the last 14 months. This number does change a bit due to ambient temp (little lower riding below 50F and above 90F).

Most of my riding takes place during my 108 mile roundtrip commute, that includes approx 74 miles at 87 mph and 34 miles at 75 mph. I typically get about 3.1 gallons into the tank when I fillup at 108 miles (3 miles into the low fuel reserve). I have gotten 20ish miles after the low fuel light numerous times, without running out of gas. I have run out of gas 3 times, the first time was after 5 miles (!) of low fuel light and the other two took place at 27 miles. I should note that the 3 times I ran out of gas were not typical riding conditions, that is I was on new to me roads really wicking the throttle in the twisties so I had no real clue as to what my fuel mileage should actually be, as well as where the next filling station was. I have noticed over all these miles, that my miles per gallon really doesn't change more than one mpg or so one way or another based on my riding (80ish mph straight cruising or playing in the twisties anywhere from 40-100mph). This is very strange to me, as in my experience, my other bikes are usually good for 5 mpg or so (7-10%) loss of fuel mileage during "fun" rides, compared to commuting. Makes life easier, when doing that mental math, though.

edgelett

So - I've been doing some experimentation with fuels here in Aus.
Our fuels are rated at 91, 95 and 98 with 98 being premium.
Aussie fuel is measured by RON.

The manual for the FTR states: For best performance, use only unleaded gasoline with a 91 pump octane minimum (R+M/2 Method) or 95 RON minimum. In the event that the recommended premium unleaded gasoline is not available and low octane fuel must be used, fill the fuel tank only partially with unleaded regular gasoline, then fill the tank fully with premium unleaded gasoline as soon as possible.'

I have been putting 98 in my bike since I bought it. When I got it tuned, Ryan told me to use 98.
However recently I found out that one person in Aus was been told by Ryan to use 95 and Fuel Moto even told some people to use 91.

So - the last couple of tanks I put in were 95. And my FTR ran like an absolute PIG.
Far more sputtering and surging, just felt shit when accelerating.
And worst of all - by tank number two, I only got 141kms of travel before I was out. My low fuel light had been on for ages and I was literally rolling in to the petrol station.
I've never had fuel economy that terrible on the FTR before.

The petrol station I pulled up to didn't offer 98 - only more 95 or 91.
So just for shits and giggles I put a small amount of 91 in to get home. Nope, didn't improve at all.

I'll be putting 98 back in when I head out on my next ride.