If you were stranded on a desert island and could only have one musical album and one book what would they be?

FTR London

'Message in a Bottle' by The Police and 'Robinson Crusoe' by Daniel Defoe.

Actually, it would be 'Kid A' by Radiohead and the aptly titled 'Being and Nothingness' by Sartre so I could spend the rest of my days contemplating what the fuck both of them were on about.

EllenGtrGrl

Wild Turkey American Honey.
Wild Turkey's always a good choice for whiskey. When I was a young and at times foolish Honda riding college student at the University of Wisconsin 30-some odd years ago, I used to like WIld Turkey Rye whiskey - no Jack Daniels for me.

As for the OP's question - that's a tough one. I've gotten more eclectic in my musical tastes as I've gotten older, and as it is, I've seldom liked all of the songs on an album. As of the present, my desert island album would be Tool's "Fear Inoculum" (it's the one album in the past few years, that I've listened to more than 2 or 3 songs of, in a sitting). I've listened to Tool since the 90s (though I don't much care for the "Opiate" EP, and "Undertow" album), and it would have been great to perform their material, in the bands I've been in, but no such luck - it's been out of the comfort zone of just about every musician I've played with (ditto for singing harmonies), probably due to the rhythms, and and chord structures (including key changes) of most Tool songs, not being in your typical straightforward blues based rock style.

Books - that's even tougher. I've been a bookworm since I was a child (my little brother likes to state that I quit picking on him, when I discovered reading at age 7 or 8, and started to ignore his mouthing off), and have probably read thousands of them. I always tell myself that I will re-read books that I really like, but that's seldom happened (it's probably the biggest reason why I have an e-book reader nowadays - I got sick of having a pile of books, that I promised myself, that I'd re-read some day [and never did], cluttering up my apartment). I'll have to pass on answering this part of the question.

Last edited:

EllenGtrGrl

Have you tried "Kaliber"? It's made by Guinness, zero alcohol, and it's goooood...
Hmmmmmm, is it dark like their stout? I prefer dark, heavier beers (dark beer, bock, stout, and porter) over the lighter lagers, and ales (which I find kind of sour tasting). With the rampant alcoholism in my family, combined with my being a cluster headache sufferer (you don't ever want to suffer from cluster headaches - they're literally some of the worst headaches you can have, and alcohol has a tendancy to make them even worse than they normally are), I'd like a decent non-alcoholic darker beer.

ftwftr

Hmmmmmm, is it dark like their stout? I prefer dark, heavier beers (dark beer, bock, stout, and porter) over the lighter lagers, and ales (which I find kind of sour tasting). With the rampant alcoholism in my family, combined with my being a cluster headache sufferer (you don't ever want to suffer from cluster headaches - they're literally some of the worst headaches you can have, and alcohol has a tendancy to make them even worse than they normally are), I'd like a decent non-alcoholic darker beer.
I work for Deschutes Brewery and we have just the beer for you. Black Butte Porter N/A

EllenGtrGrl

I got some yesterday! :D I had to wait for it to cool in the refrigertator, before I would drink it. I'll wait until after I play at my church gig (it's 5 pm mass today), before I enjoy it. F.Y.I. - it's a bit pricey - it cost me $9 for a six pack.

edgelett

it cost me $9 for a six pack.
I love that Americans think $9 for 6 beers is expensive lmao.
I remember being astounded by how cheap alcohol was in the USA.

and it's worth paying for good beer ;)
the trick to a good stout is to not drink it too cool - yes refrigerate it, but let it warm up for 5 mins once you get it out before opening. flavours increase as it warms.

EllenGtrGrl

I just paid 13 bucks for a sixpack of 805.. nothing special I’d say.

(which díd come with free parking, which I really needed).

But isn't $13 due to all of the extra taxes that the People's Republic of Kalifornia tacks on to everything (and this is coming from a person who lives in Wisconsin, which has one of the higher state tax rates in the US)? :)

Max Kool

“California Beer Tax - $0.20 / gallon

Add sales tax rate for Los Angeles County, California which is 10.25%. This is the total of state and county sales tax rates.”

I did go to a small mom n pop shop though. 🤷🏻‍♂️

EllenGtrGrl

“California Beer Tax - $0.20 / gallon

Add sales tax rate for Los Angeles County, California which is 10.25%. This is the total of state and county sales tax rates.”

I did go to a small mom n pop shop though. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Ouch!!! That's as bad as Chicago sales tax (which I learned about the hard way, when I visited Chicago Music Exchange, and bought a guitar)!

FTR London

I love that Americans think $9 for 6 beers is expensive lmao.
I remember being astounded by how cheap alcohol was in the USA.

and it's worth paying for good beer ;)
the trick to a good stout is to not drink it too cool - yes refrigerate it, but let it warm up for 5 mins once you get it out before opening. flavours increase as it warms.
Absolutely - if you drink these robust beers too cold, you're missing out on a range of flavours that the brewer intended. I wouldn't even bother refrigerating a good stout. Imperial stouts are good for years without, it's what they were designed to do in the days before refrigeration. They are best served just slightly under room temperature.

EllenGtrGrl

I forgot to mention - I finally had some of the Deschutes N/A Black Butte Porter yesterday with pizza (and yes Tash, I waited about 5 minutes after pouring it in a glass, before I drank it - some beers, like wine, need to "breathe"). What can I say? Smooth, creamy, hoppy, yummy!

ftwftr

I forgot to mention - I finally had some of the Deschutes N/A Black Butte Porter yesterday with pizza (and yes Tash, I waited about 5 minutes after pouring it in a glass, before I drank it - some beers, like wine, need to "breathe"). What can I say? Smooth, creamy, hoppy, yummy!
Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for the feedback