In the rain...

D

Deleted member 706

Here in Western Australia it might be awhile before it rains again, from December to March/April we won't get much rain. My bike is being kept out of the rain until I get caught in it...
In WA they call us Sandgropers because evrything is sandy here, I've noticed when I get of the bike there's always some coarse grains of sand on the seat, which made me wonder what this bike is like in the wet. I seem to remember hearing that it it puts a big wet stripe up your back.

J0988

Last time I rode in the rain, I still had the factory fender on. My whole back and helmet still got covered in water and mud.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
now try it without the fender. your crotch will be completely soaked from everything be slung onto the seat.

K9F

I also only intended using the rack on longer haul journeys as well as I like the clean look, nevertheless I still ride all year round and boarding the rack and leaving it on is a suitable compromise. I revisited the boarding three times in all, tried double sided 3M clear gel tape with a single board underneath which due to the harsh environment did not stay put for very long. Bolted the whole kit and kaboodle together in the end with a board underneath and another on top. There are 3/4" tap washers between the boards located in the vacant spaces in the rack.

IMG_1019.jpg

K9F

Was still getting some crud thrown up in shitty weather due to the remaining gap between the rack and rear light.

IMG_1049.jpg

Decided to close the gap off.

IMG_1105.JPG

And make use of the extra space of the lower board by investing in a pouch to carry my essential Dynaplug repair kit, inflation tool, Co2 canisters and disc lock. Saves me stuffing my pockets with paraphernalia or fitting the tank bag for just a few items or worse still forgetting to take it as it's in another jacket somewhere.

IMG_1114.jpg

IMG_1116.jpg

Karamellgubben

This is one of my ver few concerns with the bike. I still have the OEM license plate bracket/fender, but the few times I have ridden in rain I definitely get a lot of water throw up on the sea/ my back. I have no intention to remove the OEM stuff (many reasons for this: strict rules, huge licence plates, a bit too much rain at times, I do live in Norway).
Hence the question: has anyone come across a type of extender for the OEM fender or some other solution that is less visible than the rack solution?

Karamellgubben

Indian makes an extended rear fender.
Are you talking about the one mounted under the seat, or have I missed something?
I question the effectiveness of that one is there anyone that have any experience us it?

2019-Genuine-Indian-FTR-1200-Rear-Silver-Smoke-Mudguard-2883502-581

K9F

Combining that with the original ‘possum scraper’ may yield results? Anything extra is going to be better than nothing. Do not waste your money on a hugger ever either, they do nothing and the shit simply gets thrown over the top of it. Not an FTR but my mates Hornet.

C01D010C-5AE3-4087-BAA6-1C513E05965A.jpeg

I do make use of my rack and it works, this was after evolution and continual trial and error. I now get nothing thrown up and that is without the licence holder! Best advice is to get a good quality waxed jacket like Belstaff. If water won’t stick to it neither will the dirt and you’ll stay dry and the dirt comes off really easily.

D

Deleted member 706

Well I'm glad I kept a wet weather bike. As a fan of English bikes it's not that hard to find something for the wet. IMG_20191212_133820.jpg

Karamellgubben

I don't get people complaining about the spray off the rear in the rain...you're already getting rained on...drive your car if bothers you that much.
He he, that is true. It is definitively not a big issue. I love the bike way too much to not use it in the rain, just trying to keep an eye one the options out there on how to reduce the problem a bit.

K9F

Replacing the stock ‘Dunflop’ DT3 tires with tires that are designed to displace water better than the OEM block tread mild mud pluggers would help too! The OEM tires are dire anyway in the wet on the roads and after a couple of thousand miles can only be deemed as downright dangerous!

Last edited:

MANOFWOOD108

Are you talking about the one mounted under the seat, or have I missed something?
I question the effectiveness of that one is there anyone that have any experience us it?

2019-Genuine-Indian-FTR-1200-Rear-Silver-Smoke-Mudguard-2883502-581
I have it installed. Helps a little but I'm still constantly cleaning my back and debris off the seat where it has fell off my jacket. It's better than nothing tho.