Indian FTR 1200 s vs. KTM 1290r Super Duke Two somewhat similar bikes with different personalities.

EllenGtrGrl

“Naked”? Street tracker?

Yep, those are the two descriptions I'd use for the FTR1200.

It's definitely NOT a power cruiser. It doesn't have the kicked forward/shallow angle steering head angle that bikes like the Streed Rod, and Suzuki's M109 have. Also its seating position is not lower to the ground, with the feet forward, like power cruisers have. From what I've seen, power cruisers, like most cuiser-style bikes are happiest on city streets, and main highways (freeways and insterstates - if I had a dime for every Harley I hear go past on I-894 [one just did so 10 seconds ago], or I was paid for the lack of cruisers I see on backroads, I'd be a millionaire). They don't like twisty roads, due to their slower steering geometry, seating, and feet forward riding position (that doesn't allow you to shift your seating position to assist in going through some turns with at higher speed), nor do they have the gound clearance.

The FTR1200 may not be at the same level of performance as an Aprilia Tuono, or a KTM 1290 (they're lighter, make more horsepower, and have shorter wheelbases [the FTR's longer wheelbase probably hearkens back to its FTR750 roots - a longer wheelbase helps stability, when you're powersliding through a turn on a dirt track]), but it's certainly in the neighborhood. At the very least, I'd call it a naked bike with sporty pretentions. A streetracker is another good description, since it pays some homage to the FTR750, in ways that are similar to the streetracker modded Yamaha XS650s I remember reading about as far back as the 1980s. Those motorcycls were called streetrackers, because they paid homage to those XS650s that duked it out with Harley XR750s in AMA flat track racing in the 1970s through the early 1980s.

Ed Fox

Yep, those are the two descriptions I'd use for the FTR1200.

It's definitely NOT a power cruiser. It doesn't have the kicked forward/shallow angle steering head angle that bikes like the Streed Rod, and Suzuki's M109 have. Also its seating position is not lower to the ground, with the feet forward, like power cruisers have. From what I've seen, power cruisers, like most cuiser-style bikes are happiest on city streets, and main highways (freeways and insterstates - if I had a dime for every Harley I hear go past on I-894 [one just did so 10 seconds ago], or I was paid for the lack of cruisers I see on backroads, I'd be a millionaire). They don't like twisty roads, due to their slower steering geometry, seating, and feet forward riding position (that doesn't allow you to shift your seating position to assist in going through some turns with at higher speed), nor do they have the gound clearance.

The FTR1200 may not be at the same level of performance as an Aprilia Tuono, or a KTM 1290 (they're lighter, make more horsepower, and have shorter wheelbases [the FTR's longer wheelbase probably hearkens back to its FTR750 roots - a longer wheelbase helps stability, when you're powersliding through a turn on a dirt track]), but it's certainly in the neighborhood. At the very least, I'd call it a naked bike with sporty pretentions. A streetracker is another good description, since it pays some homage to the FTR750, in ways that are similar to the streetracker modded Yamaha XS650s I remember reading about as far back as the 1980s. Those motorcycls were called streetrackers, because they paid homage to those XS650s that duked it out with Harley XR750s in AMA flat track racing in the 1970s through the early 1980s.
Its a "Street Fighter"

kevlib63

Hi...I stumbled across your forum. I don't own a Indian but I have checked out the FTR. I really like the bike. I do own a 2021 KTM890 DukeR and a Harley XR1200. I was reading the banter about the FTR being a "Power Cruiser". No way. A power cruiser is a V MAX, VROD, The old Kawi Eliminator, The Honda Magna, The old Yamaha XS11, The Suzuki, MT thing, The Divale sp, etc. The FTR, XR, SuperDuke, Duke, Monsters, etc are basically sportbikes without clip-ons. A better riding position. So technically they are naked bikes. Basically sportbikes geared and tuned for more mid range power. Not top end. Not everybody needs to go 186mph. They can be just as good on the track as well as the mountains. Actually better in the twisties. Top end means nothing in the mountains of North GA, NC and Tenn when a lot of the posted speed limits are like 15, 20, 25mph in the tight stuff. So bikes may double it or so. Maybe more in between the curves. Obviously it depends on the road.

Attachments

• IMG-20230223-WA0003.jpeg
    IMG-20230223-WA0003.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 13
  • 20230210_185605.jpg
    20230210_185605.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20230104_171859_569.jpg
    IMG_20230104_171859_569.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13

kevlib63

I kind of like that old-school shovel head hiding over in the corner…!
That isn't mine. The 2 in the back in back are a friend's. I let him keep in them in my garage. He also has 2 FXRs in storage. So I am helping him out. He is older and on the smaller size. The AMF is huge. He paid a lot for that bike and only rode it a couple of times. It has been in my garage for about a 1 1/2 years. I put 40,000 on XR in less than 7. With a young child living with me 50% of the time. He started riding on the back on short trips around 3 years ago. He started racing supermoto when he was 7. He turned 13, 2 weeks ago. I will never sell the XR and it will go to him some day. They still race had a few racing at Daytona in the Super Hooligan class.

kevlib63

The FTR is not a power cruiser. I test rode the Sportster S. That is more of a power cruiser in my opinion. It doesn't handle as good as my XR. It definitely doesn't handle as good as your FTR, according to what I have heard and read. The S is more comparible to the Scout.

edgelett

agree - the FTR is absolutely NOT a cruiser, and despite the number of people I've seen comparing the Sportster S, they're nothing alike at all.
The FTR handles properly for a start.

kevlib63

You are 100% correct. The Sportster S has forward controls. Harley was going to put on the optional "mid controls" to sweeten the deal, when they were trying to sell me that bike. Plus it only has a single front disc. It is a Brembo...but still. Besides my 250 supermoto. I haven't had a single disc brake on a streetbike since my new 1982 Yamaha Seca 400. It worked ok but my 4 caliber Nissin work better on my XR. I bought the KTM 890 Duke because I found it at the dealership on consignment. It only had 1200 miles on it. It was all set up. Close to $3000 worth of upgrades. They wanted $12. It was getting close to Christmas and I offered $11. I rode it out the door for $12. Harley wanted $19,999 and $23,000 out the door for the Fat Bob 114 turd. Plus free tires for life, slip on things, a tune, whatever. They wanted $15,500 for the Sporster S and like $19,000 out the door. Plus slip on, tunes, the mid controls etc. The fees on the bikes are ridiculous. Prep and delivery charges. I didn't have to pay them on the KTM. I am looking to buy a Kawi KX 112 minimoto for my son to race. The bike is like $5400. They want over $7000. Crazy. The KTM 890 would have been around $15,000+ brand new. I was looking at the new FTR. The one for around $16. Not the carbon. The good thing with that it comes with the Akapovic exhaust. That saves money. How is the throttle by wire on the FTR?

I currently own a 2016 1290 SA modded to the gills and an FTR1200 modded to the gills

There's very little to compare between the two and the 1290 is a far superior experience in every way. I was actually shocked to see my 1290 running fender to fender with the FTR1200 when my friend took the FTR out with me on my 1290. The only way the two bikes really compare is in the power band and the legs. I can't say much else is is similar at all.

I'm selling my 1290 because I'm done touring for now and am choosing to just trailer my FTR, 401, and Ural around these days.

Even though my 2019 FTR 1200S is inferior in every way to the 1290 it can't even lose or gain an inch to, my god am I in love with my FTR. Every other motorcycle I currently own or have owned was neat and all but my FTR is my baby, my one true love, the only machine I've ever loved. Even my ddm4 v7 I've got over $6,000 in can't hold a candle to my one true love and I never thought I'd see the day anything replaced that passion.

In one word a 1290 is GOAT
in one word a FTR is PASSION, all is fair in love and war could not apply better to all the reasons I should HATE my FTR but I'm absolutely in love.

Breto

Call them what you like. Mines a mongrel. Every time I ride the thing a can’t stop grinning. It hasn’t worn off yet. Every time I take it out I find something else to come to terms with. I love it. And that’s a massive turn around from when I first bought it. Ask any of the OG’s here and they’ll tell you I hated it in standard trim. Yep mongrel suits Larry fine. 👍😎