Install New Clutch Perch 2022 FTR

TJD

So I replaced my master cylinder with a Brembo 19 RCS and I'm loving it. That's the master cylinder I've had on every bike for what seems like forever. Now I'm looking to replace the stock clutch perch with an upgraded one. Has anyone tried this? I spent about 2 hrs trying to get the adjusters off the clutch line near the stock perch and just couldn't figure it out. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-12 at 9.50.14 PM (1).jpg
    Screenshot 2023-05-12 at 9.50.14 PM (1).jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 15

TJD

ummm.. what?

Didi you loosen all slack and try to disconnect it at the engine?
Everything was loosened but the problem is those pieces at the top end of part #39 that are the adjusters and don't have slots in them. I don't pretend to be an expert mechanic by any means but I have replaced clutch perches before and have never seen solid adjusters with no slot in them that can't be removed. And you can't slide them over the pin that attaches the cable to the lever.

In order to mount the perch those stock adjusters have to come off. You can see in the second photo the perch I purchased has adjusters on it and they can't be detached. Am I just SOL?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-13 at 7.50.25 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-05-13 at 7.50.25 AM.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot 2023-05-13 at 8.02.35 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-05-13 at 8.02.35 AM.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

TJD

It’s part of the cable. You have to cut it off if you want to change the perch. But be careful trying to change the perch

https://www.ftr1200forums.com/threads/ez-pull-clutch-levers.198/
Thanks for the link. I decided I'm going to purchase an aftermarket clutch cable and do it that way. However, it looks like I'm going to have to order a custom cable. I'm not sure how to measure the existing clutch cable. Do I measure from the tip of the pin that attaches to the lever down to the pin connected to the clutch? Thanks for the help btw.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
That I don’t know.

I ended up buying another stock cable and just buying a different lever and kept the stock perch.

MacBayne

Thanks for the link. I decided I'm going to purchase an aftermarket clutch cable and do it that way. However, it looks like I'm going to have to order a custom cable. I'm not sure how to measure the existing clutch cable. Do I measure from the tip of the pin that attaches to the lever down to the pin connected to the clutch? Thanks for the help btw.
This is a question that should be manufacturer-specific. Some may have FTR cable dimensions on-hand, others may not.

Not to sound rude, but do it the old fashioned-way and make a phone call. Call whoever you want to order the cable from and ask them what dimensions they need. There are multiple measurements of a clutch cable beyond just pin-to-pin.

From what I read in your OP, I thought that you were having trouble removing the cable at the perch because the cable was too tight. Here we are, 24 hours later and I now understand your question. A phone call would clarify all of this thread in 5 minutes.

I ask that you post results of your solution and how it worked. There is fuck-all for FTR aftermarket info.