Need Battery Recommendations

Mlazarus

Stupid battery seems to have died. Would not start yesterday. It turned over briefly, then clicked. I let the bike sit for a couple of hours and it started up. Today, I went to start it and again, turned over briefly then nothing. Lights etcetera work. The DC shows about 11.8 and dropping as I try to turn the bike over. So, I'm thinking I might enjoy a fancy new Li Ion battery. Recommendations? Links are also appreciated.
Thanks

kiwi dave

It's not easy, as the battery mounting on the FTR1200 is unusual to say the least.

I had mine replaced under warranty, after a big fight with the importer. It would take me up to 15 presses of the starter button to produce anything other than a loud click. It was only after I made a video showing the issue before the importer conceded that perhaps the battery was faulty.

It was replaced with a Polaris YTX14H, which sounds like a Yuasa part number.

Mlazarus

Thanks. I've pulled the battery and put it on a tester. My next door neighbor is in the automotive industry and has every tool and diagnostic device known to modern man. He said the battery is at 12.3 which he considered pretty low. It's sitting on a charger so I'll see if that helps. We'll test it again and check for dead cells.

Mlazarus

So after a few hours on the charger, the OEM battery is back up to 12.9,and of course the bike fired right up. Now the challenge is to figure out why the battery was low. Also, my neighbor left me with this handy chart.73533.jpeg

Charliemurphay

Battery issues are not uncommon on this bike. I suspect it has to do with the 19’s sitting on dealer floors not being charged for up to a year at a time and being weak from the moment of purchase.
Mine has been fine but the dealer I purchased from wheels a few big carts onto the showroom every week full of battery tenders that they then hook up to every bike on the floor.
I wouldn’t be surprised if this one keeps giving you trouble. @ferraiolo1 and a few others have a Antigravity lithium battery that is considerably lighter than the stock unit that they seem pleased with. Once mine kicks the bucket I’ll probably do the same.

Fuse5

Sombeody use it and got info´s ?

Battery

Max Kool

One consideration for everyone opting for a LiFePo battery, the cranking amps may be higher, by a lot. Self discharge is lower, by a lot.

The absolute capacity however is a lot lower than the the stock battery (4Ah vs 14Ah). This means IF your bike has a parasitic draw, it will drain the battery faster.