Need Battery Recommendations

FriscoKid

Curious to hear if this group thinks I should upgrade the battery now even though the original is only a few months old?

Other than the obvious, less weight. I've noticed no charging issue yet and it's always on a tender.

Obiratus

My 2020 battery just died this winter... Thanks to Max I know opted for the Noco NLP14 and I hope this one will last longer. Always nice to get a good tip here!

Fuse5

The ´19 batt´ died. Were on a NOCO since it was available over here (long time wait for) , last week.
Got a C-Tek Charger for and will see ..
@Max Kool (y)

Last edited:

R. Warshawsky

I replaced mine in January with a Yuasa YTX14H-BS, which I understand is the heavy duty upgraded version of the stock battery. Seems to work fine, we'll see.

Breto

I think I’ll be going with the Motobat AGM battery to fit. Had great service from these batteries over the years. But in saying that my 19 battery is still behaving itself.

mark.lb

My original battery from May 2019 is still fine. As stated previously, all my bikes stay on a battery tender when not being ridden. Waiting patiently on news about the Antigravity battery failures.

Do not use lithium ion, IMO. Too risky unless you run a good BMS board and internally heated cell and or replace every 6 months, IMO. By good BMS, I mean a programmable digital one... not just a stupid resister/diode chinese lie, IMO. The battery is so low on the FTR the roll center is not helped by weight reduction which is the main reason to reduce weight on a bike in certain ways, IMO. In fact, its roughly at/below the roll center where more weight actually increases road force which is what helps you stick in a lean, sort of w/out getting into it but yeh that's the shitsplanation, IMO.

Finally, you need a different voltage regulator/rectifier on the FTR than oem for li-ion $150-$300 upgrade to bike for no reason. Need is not the right word but to keep it simple yes it is.

IMO spend your cash on better lighter helmet for performance, or on maintenance, fuel, etc lol. Stick with OEM or OEM spec batteries, especially on an FTR where they mounted the battery in a VERY helpful place. IMO no place better to carry weight on the FTR than right at the crank.

To those of you that think I'm ignorant, this is fine but please take this advice. Buy a WIFI dongle outlet that pushes notifications to your phone for the battery tender you're using to charge li-ion motorcycle cells. Keep in mind the nominal voltage per cell is 3.78v with lithium ion and you start venting below roughly 3.4-3.2 depending on the chemistry (obviously you're already running several cells in series to hit 12v so you're already literally playing with fire). Also keep in mind, you grow dendrites on lithium ion cells under following conditions, naturally deplete at a 3-5%/month, while in temperatures below 70F. Once a dendrite (dendrites are sharper than a mosquito's proboscis on a molecular level) pierces a cell even a quality BMS will not stop the resulting very very very hot and volatile gas off, expansion, and possible combustion of a dead short internally within the cells. I know for a fact that the casings of motorcycle batteries are not properly vented to prevent a combustion under expansion and pressurization of the gas off, once the internal dead short starts. BIG BADA BOOM in mere seconds.

IMO to run a li ion safely is to use multiple redundant monitoring systems, different charging systems than OEM, and load test the cells independently through balance board on a digitally programmable charger. Then replace every 6 months of use, that is the cumulative time of 6 months not stored perfectly balanced at nominal voltage and nominal ambient temp (so basically replace every season).

My past first business's customers occasionally sent me the hospital pictures of lithium aftermath. These things can and will go off ballistically. I don't understand why so many people are backing this trend as its too soon. One of my customers gf's lost half her face and she wasn't even involved in the choices made with a lithium cell, just was near it at the time of failure. She has scars up one arm, missing scalp, missing face, and scars down other arm. The ballistic projectile formerly a stable cell literally went up and down her body like a basketball in the hands of a globe trotter.

LI-ION is so new we still don't fully understand dendrites and how they're formed or how to combat them. Its very much TOO SOON to do something so reckless for such a pitiful gain, imo. Also, its not a gain its a compromise on the FTR chassis of less weight (better 60 foot times at the track) in a location on the chassis that sadly also reduces road force as it loses weight (a much more important real world aspect on public tarmac under lean), the reason you stick.

IMHO, li ion is not just a silver bullet for every application currently or in near future. The only time li-ion should be used currently is in basically huuuuuge battery banks where quite simply the capacitance isn't even possible w/out lion, such as EV's, solar arrays, etc, or tiny electronics that pose no substantial threat during failures, IMO. I don't even know why hospitals use it in equipment now, kinda ridiculous tbh when the equipment footprint could just be a little bigger and elevators do all the heavy lifting.
136481_mukhopadhyay-03-30-18.jpg

Last edited:

mark.lb

After reading kungfoojesus’s rant I’m a little spooked.
I had a bi-ventricular pacemaker (CRT-D) implanted in my chest in 2016. It is powered by a lithium-ion battery. So far as I can tell it has not exploded or caught fire!
My Big Bore Scout has a Antigravity lithium ion battery. It was installed in April 2022. So far so good.