Not understanding whats wrong with my FTR

Where was the small crack in the front frame? Was it the cross member behind the radiator, but in front of engine mount and front cylinder. Kinda higher?

I'd check front ignition coil connector right there, that part of the harness, etc. Its the part that hooks to the brainbox. Just guessing at this point obviously.

I had front cylinder misfire code a lot on FM tune it was annoying.

Last edited:
Where was the small crack in the front frame? Was it the cross member behind the radiator, but in front of engine mount and front cylinder. Kinda higher?

I'd check front ignition coil connector right there, that part of the harness, etc. Its the part that hooks to the brainbox. Just guessing at this point obviously.

I had front cylinder misfire code a lot on FM tune it was annoying.
No, it was a small crack in the steering stop. I forgot to mention that, apologies. So it would be next to the forks underneath the headlight. Its a small thing, really not a big deal but it shouldn't have happened.
They did have to remove the front wheel setup completely to get to the front frame. It might be that they touched something down there. I'll check it out if I have some spare time this weekend.

Hmm ok, that's weird. They told me all the symptoms point to an air/vacuum/exhaust leak. I sent the logs over to them. I'll just wait and see.
I've checked the exhaust pipes and they all look fine. I did have to tighten some of the clamps that are holding the exhaust gaskets in place.

No, it was a small crack in the steering stop. I forgot to mention that, apologies. So it would be next to the forks underneath the headlight. Its a small thing, really not a big deal but it shouldn't have happened.
They did have to remove the front wheel setup completely to get to the front frame. It might be that they touched something down there. I'll check it out if I have some spare time this weekend.

Hmm ok, that's weird. They told me all the symptoms point to an air/vacuum/exhaust leak. I sent the logs over to them. I'll just wait and see.
I've checked the exhaust pipes and they all look fine. I did have to tighten some of the clamps that are holding the exhaust gaskets in place.
Yeh every 5 or so tanks I got a misfire for a few miles to half a tank. I don’t know why the light stayed on so long occasionally but it usually reset with a restart even while rolling.

The connector I’m talking about is on a clip, it slides off the clip up there. It’s pretty hard to find and pretty protected. I dunno it’s weird to me that this is all happening only after the bike got tossed.

I’m rly confused. I’ve made some pretty dumb mistakes wrenching but I don’t see how the wreck or the work would cause this issue I’m baffled.

For me the dead give away my FM tune wasn’t working out was many reasons.

Cold stall x 1 million
Decel popping like 4th of July finale
Oil analysis and insanely dark oil :( at 4k intervals oooooof that one rly hurts sry
Stalls in first, in general
Still had massive surging even though better than stock

V6 Lloyd’s fixed all this. I didn’t even want to keep my FTR either but Lloyd’s made it insanely fun to ride without the very big disappointments and a motor running so lean I probably need a new one before most, thanks to FM tune which was basically a waste of money.

That's pretty good from Lloydz.

So I thought I would never type this but I fixed the bloody issue. I checked all the exhaust pipes, tightened all the o2 sensors and clamps. I also reinstalled my S&S exhaust.
I used a new clamp for the exhaust since the other one was beyond the point of usage and used some permatex to make sure its all closed off.

The bloody bike does not stall anymore ... and I just bought another bike to replace this one.

edgelett

so... one of the dealers you took it to investigated that everything was installed properly?

wow.

Yeah … mindblowing that they didn’t do what they said they would do.
The second garage didn’t look at the exhaust because I didn’t ask them to.

that's such a good news cuz everyone was so sad for u mang. whats the second steed in the stable? dear god don't say a chase the sensor KTM lol jk.

its so weird how every time it ends up being the individual basis of the bike as a culprit more than the tune, which is often just a catalyst.

Also, you uh let that permatex dry a bit before final torque? (its fine either way but it gonna blow out in spots even with rly good vbands if you didn't. You'll see the soot/carbon marks on outside of da pipes where it do what it do.)

Last edited:
My new bike is a husqvarna Norden. Sooo it does go in the direction of KTM …lol.

Yeah, I let it dry for a day and then fastened the band.
Since the FTR is sold, I don’t really care anymore what happens to it.

Thanks for thinking with me on this one!

Norden 901 is sweeeeet bike i been checking out. Good luck with the Norden and put high quality dielectric grease on all the sensor connectors on the harness when you see them as you mod and service and go on the next bike journey! Every mfg on the planet cheaps out on greasing dem connectors!!!! I've seen so many burned traces or worn out bikes from sad connections over the years and your new MFG is notorious for it but great bike otherwise!!! Cutting edge motor!!! so neat have fun!