Not understanding whats wrong with my FTR

didn't you change your exhaust setup? is the tune the right one for your exhaust setup?
Yes, they were changed to see if it would improve. All of them gave misfire errors.
Normally the stock tune doesn’t cause any problems. Now it causes the stalling en stuttering.

edgelett

Yes, they were changed to see if it would improve. All of them gave misfire errors.
Normally the stock tune doesn’t cause any problems. Now it causes the stalling en stuttering.
ok thanks for the clarification. it wasn't clear when I read through that you changed your tune to match the new exhaust setup - I thought you were still running the stock tune with a different exhaust.

It wasn't really clear on my side. Currently its running the S&S exhaust with the stock tune. It stalled 6 times today. I tried all the fuelmoto tunes yesterday, with the S&S exhaust, and all of them gave a cylinder misfire error.

Sorry for spamming but I have been doing some research and talking to the other garage.
So the engine only stalls and stutters when it is hot (+70°C) and when decelerating. When I pull the clutch the RPM's dip way too low and as a result the engine stalls. If I turn it on again, it starts without hesistation but could be prone to stalling once again.

Based on other forums and a little explanation by the garage, this points into the direction of a problem with a IAC sensor.

So my question for the people who have more knowledge or a better understanding of this. Are these symptoms of a bad IAC or TMAP sensor? I don't know if an IAC is installed on the throttle body.
I just can't wrap my head that it only happens under these conditions. Anyone had this kind of problem before?

ftwftr

Have you checked the TPS yet? If that gets rotated it could be causing similar problems. Also, not sure if these bikes have a fuel cut when the butterfly is closed, but if it does that could be a culprit as well.

Have you checked the TPS yet? If that gets rotated it could be causing similar problems. Also, not sure if these bikes have a fuel cut when the butterfly is closed, but if it does that could be a culprit as well.
Have not checked that yet. What do you mean with rotated?

i’ll check with the garage if they can tell me more about the fuel cut.

I’ll try it tomorrow! Thanks for sharing
Disregard, I was thinking of a different motorcycle and forgot these are drive by wire. Not sure if these do the same learning like other Indian models but it might be worth a try if this hasn't been done. https://www.indianmotorcycleforum.c...ine-stalling-or-throttle-misbehaving-10042568
The TPS recalibration helped. It is no longer stalling at every stop. Just the regular stalling from the tune.

While killing that symptom another one has popped up. The engine has an occasional misfire (pops up while idling and engine hot) and when coming to a stop, the engine somethings keeps going at 2k rpm while the throttle is closed and the clutch is pulled.

It seems like something is stuck.
The engine misfire goes away when turning the bike off and on again. It comes back again after 10 minutes of riding.

Probably going to let another garage check it out because it is progressing in the right direction.

Thanks for the input!

Max Kool

The engine idling at 2krpm while nearly coming to a stop the moment you release the clutch is by design. The 2019 model was notorious for that, especially without a tune.

Lloydz V6 fixed that largely.

The engine idling at 2krpm while nearly coming to a stop the moment you release the clutch is by design. The 2019 model was notorious for that, especially without a tune.

Lloydz V6 fixed that largely.
Ok, thanks for the info. Did not know that.
Then I guess its still the cylinder 1 misfire I need to get checked. I need to figure out if it pops up under certain circumstances.

mark.lb

This is going to sound ridiculous but make sure the inside edge of the throttle grip is not making contact with the throttle ETC assembly. All free and clear?
09650DB3-3B20-4539-A27D-EFB7AD6845AB.jpeg

I checked the throttle and it's all free and clear. CUrrently driving hassle free for a couple of days. No cylinder misfire or stalling.
My guess is that the TPS calibration eliminated something. Still going to get it checked by another garage.

Last update:

FTR has been to another garage. They have checked all vacuum lines, tmap sensor, throttle body, pressure line, fuel tank and ECU. They swapped out ECU and tmap sensor with those from another 2019 model. So we could say that there’s nothing wrong with those electronics.
They also renewed the spark plugs en checked/corrected the valve clearance.

So everything is checked and is fine.
It fixed the cylinder misfire that it was having.

It does still have a rough idling. Just bouncing on the 1250 rpm range. It sometimes dips below and then stalls. This happens both cold and hot.
I tried the throttle body calibration again but it does not help with the bouncing.
This happens both tuned and stock.

As I am completely done with this bullshit, I’m probably going to sell the bike.

If anyone has something that could help, I’m still all ears until it is sold.

Cheers for reading

edgelett

Last update:

It does still have a rough idling. Just bouncing on the 1250 rpm range. It sometimes dips below and then stalls. This happens both cold and hot.
I tried the throttle body calibration again but it does not help with the bouncing.
hmm
that sounds like an untuned stock 2019 FTR to me.
When you said it was doing that tuned, did you try flashing the new ECU with your Fuel Moto tune via PV3?
Maybe check with them if it will still work on another ECU? Cause it sounds like the tune didn't stick.

hmm
that sounds like an untuned stock 2019 FTR to me.
When you said it was doing that tuned, did you try flashing the new ECU with your Fuel Moto tune via PV3?
Maybe check with them if it will still work on another ECU? Cause it sounds like the tune didn't stick.
Hmm, I’ll send them a log and see if they can do anything about it.
They did not install the tune on the other ECU. It was flashed by a local tuner.

The bouncing was still present with their ECU. Thats when they started checking other parts because it confirmed there was something wrong mechanically. They thought it could be the intake line but their was nothing wrong there.

edgelett

I don't know of any tunes that idle at 1250rpm. that's a stock bike. all the tunes I know of idle at 1800 ish

edgelett

I’ll check all the tunes. Any reason why the tune won’t stick?
sometimes the process gets interrupted or doesn't write properly.
or it might be an issue with the tuning licence - you said it was flashed by a local tuner but did they get a licence for your VIN?

what type of tune was it? if it was one from Dynojet I know their tunes aren't good.

FTR London

what type of tune was it? if it was one from Dynojet I know their tunes aren't good.
I can attest to this having had a very early one on my 19. It didn't eliminate the stock tune issues in the slightest.

Shouldn't do with a reputable tune. I'd whip out the ECR and send it off for a bench tune. Of all the problems associated with the stock 19 bike, the random cut outs concerned me the most.