Power

arobert3

I have a question for the group and this is my first post so forgive me for not knowing my way around. I currently ride my 4th Triumph Speed Triple and love it but I have been increasingly drawn to the Indian FTR. Similar style of bike but I have read that it has 120HP and is limited to 124 MPH - nobody could argue that this isn't enough but these numbers are fairly modest by comparison to the Triumph. I have Googled how to derestrict the top speed and power and not found much out. Is it easy to derestrict these bikes and what can you get in terms of power and top speed out of them? I am very close to pulling the trigger but wonder if it will be enough for me after the Triumph.

edgelett

to get more HP, your best option is a full Toce exhaust and a tune from Lloydz Garage.
Lloydz have removed the speed limit restrictor on the 2019 model but not the 2022 model onwards yet - but are close.

bur honestly - I've never felt I need more HP on mine. Torque is where its at. and the FTR shines in the twisties.

arobert3

to get more HP, your best option is a full Toce exhaust and a tune from Lloydz Garage.
Lloydz have removed the speed limit restrictor on the 2019 model but not the 2022 model onwards yet - but are close.

bur honestly - I've never felt I need more HP on mine. Torque is where its at. and the FTR shines in the twisties.
How did they remove the speed limiter? is it a fuel map/ECU reflash or something a bit more mechanical?

mark.lb

I have a question for the group and this is my first post so forgive me for not knowing my way around. I currently ride my 4th Triumph Speed Triple and love it but I have been increasingly drawn to the Indian FTR. Similar style of bike but I have read that it has 120HP and is limited to 124 MPH - nobody could argue that this isn't enough but these numbers are fairly modest by comparison to the Triumph. I have Googled how to derestrict the top speed and power and not found much out. Is it easy to derestrict these bikes and what can you get in terms of power and top speed out of them? I am very close to pulling the trigger but wonder if it will be enough for me after the Triumph.
I suggest you find a dealership with a demo bike or one that has the demo truck coming to the dealership. Find a way to ride an FTR and see first hand if you like it.

arobert3

OK - let me ask the question another way. I have a friend who has 4 old school Harleys - He is totally blown away by the speed and power of the FTR. Fair enough but his yardstick is measuring a different scale to mine. Is there anyone on this group who has moved to an FTR from sports bikes or sports naked bikes like me. Long-term - after the novelty, are you satisfied, thrilled or underwhelmed by the performance? It seems to that for a point an squirt bike in the twisties we have around here it should be just as entertaining as my Triumph Speed Triple but comments welcome.

Greg

Hello mate, I’ve come from an SP1, to Tuono V4, to MV F3 and finally an FTR. I honestly think it depends on what you want realistically. The FTR could never compete with the V4 or F3 or your Speed Triple. However, I don’t do track days and wanted a comfy road bike that can still do a bit when asked, the FTR is perfect for me and I’m not missing the outright speed of my previous bikes as I’ve accepted the FTR for what it is, just more fun. Please don’t buy one if you’re chasing outright performance and lap times, you’ll be dissapointed. I just figure it’s plenty fast enough for my needs but much more fun and easy than my previous bikes. Horses for courses mate.

arobert3

My Speed Triple has 137Hp - I wonder how much of it I am really using - even canyon carving aggressively is really only using half of the bike most of the time so I don't really know what I am worrying about except bragging rights. What I want is that adrenalin rush of being fired out of a corner with a rush urgency - I suspect that the FTR will satisfy that need and I love the way they look.

Walrus

OK - let me ask the question another way. I have a friend who has 4 old school Harleys - He is totally blown away by the speed and power of the FTR. Fair enough but his yardstick is measuring a different scale to mine. Is there anyone on this group who has moved to an FTR from sports bikes or sports naked bikes like me. Long-term - after the novelty, are you satisfied, thrilled or underwhelmed by the performance? It seems to that for a point an squirt bike in the twisties we have around here it should be just as entertaining as my Triumph Speed Triple but comments welcome.
I own modern Harleys, Japanese sport bikes, Ducatis, a Triumph 760 Moto 2 and a 2022 FTR. The Indian is quick and fast, but not in the league of a true sport bike like a 600 GSXR etc. Doesn't handle like one, either. FTR lacks the grunt of a Harley and is more akin to a Ducati twin, easy to rev decent torque. It's fun in the mountains, but I suspect you'd ride a sport bike more aggressively. The Triumph Daytona handles better and is faster to boot. But the Indian is way more comfortable in an all-day ride sense. It's a street bike, not a frustrated track star. I enjoy the FTR because it's a unique experience. I have a Toce exhaust and Lloyds tune, which is flawless so far. Hope this helps.

arobert3

I have heard them with the Toce exhaust and with the Akras with the baffles removed and they sound awesome. If I get one I will be drilling those baffles out the first week-end and then think longer term about a new system. I have a question though. With the Toce Exhaust and the tune how much extra power/speed do you think you are getting? I see that it is a $2K investment so I hope it is worth it.

Walrus

I gladly spent the money on the Toce & Lloydz tune within 500 miles of my purchase. I own a base bike & knew I was going to modify it so the savings vs the upgraded models - which have a lot of things I didn't want/need - made the base attractive. I've written about this. While I'm a big fan of Akrapovic - had them on a Harley V-Rod, my current Hayabusa and a couple of race bikes - I detested the tinny sound on the FTR and I'm not a loud-pipe guy. The tune & exhaust made the bike more responsive - and lighter, which is ALWAYS a good thing. There's a seat-of-the-pants performance gain, but I didn't dyno the bike. I think it's money well spent just for the looks! Make the FTR much sexier.

arobert3

I gladly spent the money on the Toce & Lloydz tune within 500 miles of my purchase. I own a base bike & knew I was going to modify it so the savings vs the upgraded models - which have a lot of things I didn't want/need - made the base attractive. I've written about this. While I'm a big fan of Akrapovic - had them on a Harley V-Rod, my current Hayabusa and a couple of race bikes - I detested the tinny sound on the FTR and I'm not a loud-pipe guy. The tune & exhaust made the bike more responsive - and lighter, which is ALWAYS a good thing. There's a seat-of-the-pants performance gain, but I didn't dyno the bike. I think it's money well spent just for the looks! Make the FTR much sexier.
I don't want to put you to too much trouble but I don't suppose you have a photo?