Raximo Levers Install

bbuettner

So I went to install my Raximo levers this Saturday and...

1. Brake lever - old one came off in just a minute, but you need to move the plunger from the old lever to the new lever. The plunger is captured in the old lever and I could not figure out how to remove it. Do I need to press out the pivot bushing to disassemble it? Any trick on getting the plunger back in rubber boot without collapsing it?

2. Clutch lever - do I need to disconnect the clutch line at the engine casing? This looked fiddly and I was afraid I would not be able to get it reconnected.

Any help would be appreciated.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Yes you have to press out the stock bushing.

Uses two little screw drivers to hold the grommet open to insert the plunger

just screw in the clutch adjuster all the way at the lever and there will be enough slack to remove it once you unbolt the lever

jacau

good choice!

Attachments

• Raximo F Brake.jpg
    Raximo F Brake.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Raximo clutch.jpg
    Raximo clutch.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 83
I have a 2022 and pulled the trigger on raximos, the site only went to 2021, did anything change with the levers for the 22 from previous years. I'm comparing them here in my garage and they sure look different

jacau

As far as I am aware the 21 is the same model as the 22, being the revised 17" wheels from the 10 model. They still use the brembo brake assembly and cable clutch. The Raximo levers are just shorter and shaped differently and definitely cool, but I'm biased!

Babaloo

Mine just arrived they are pieces of art can't wait to get them on...

Attachments

• 20211206_181231.jpg
    20211206_181231.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 40

Mckid4

Quick question for those of you who installed the aftermarket levers.. did you adjust the plunger depth? I just installed a set of Puig levers and I had to put the slightest bit of pressure to line up the bolt hole in the lever to the perch. I don’t think it is actually engaging the brake but just want to double check what others have experienced. I did adjust the plunger in as much as I could before the screw comes out the other side and interferes with the hole/recess in the lever for the plunger.

Attachments

• 29BBC494-14FB-46A6-8EAF-5E844A0F94DB.jpeg
    29BBC494-14FB-46A6-8EAF-5E844A0F94DB.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 36

Mckid4

Nope, though getting the plunger back in was an absolute bastard of a job - most frustrating and time-consuming part of the whole swap process.
Right! I kept taking the lever off to adjust the plunger/roll the bike around to try to tell if the brake was engaged or not. It was frustrating indeed trying to get the plunger back in the boot.

ciphfer

I pulled the plunger out of it's holder, put it on the lever peg, and then held the lever while I snapped it back in it's perch.

Took 2 minutes.
Thank you! After reading your post, I went back and took a very small flat blade screwdriver and carefully pried it out around the edge. After this, I pushed it onto the peg and reconnected the whole thing. Just like you said...2 minutes. I would have never tried this without reading what you posted first.

Be warned, the Raximo clutch lever is going to murder your clutch cable. Pictures coming soon. I can't find contact information for Raximo that responds in English. I'm very happy with the levers but we need to sheath the cable where it grinds on the lever. I've seen guys that don't do pre trip inspections miss this entirely and snap their clutch cable in Raximo clutch levers (on youtube there is a guy even). Also, he hogged out his cable entry slot in his Raximo lever and it still eats cables. He hasn't shimmed out the lever slop yet so that might be a contributing factor.

I do a lot of fly fishing so I just wrapped my cable in aramid (amsteel blue) and used a marine grade epoxy applied to my thread as I wrapped, to bond it all but allow it to flex where needed still. This solution should work well but time will tell as its the end of riding season on the FTR for me.

Basically:
1. thread the thinnest aramid you can find through a coffee stir
2. tension the thread where it enters the coffee stir
3. wrap the cable with the tip of the coffee stir and extruding thread

Look for a fly fishing tool/video on wrapping flies you'll see what I mean. I applied a west marine epoxy to the thread as it entered the straw. I had to prime the straw for this to work. (i used a metal tool but a coffee stir will work).

Last edited:
Second pro tip:

Use a socket, metric bolt, and hammer to punch out/cut a pattern with exacto knife to shim above and below your lever pins. The slop just causes issues and binding as the hole ovals out over time. I use old polymer cutting boards and plastic milk jugs as they're both the most affordable way to get a good polymer for the job that most people have laying around. Kydex will just crack, delrin isn't available in those thin enough sheets, etc etc.

Its easy to wet sand the shims to tolerance with some 320-400 grit. I wish someone came out with an anti walk pin and shim kit for FTR levers.

The tolerances on all FTR levers are trash, don't worry I love my Raximo levers they saved me $100-$200 versus other options that very well may have the same issues and the original brembo levers are very expensive(read BAD VALUE) and pointlessly angled and huge (planned obsolescence IMO, as they want levers to break at silly stop sign on a hill light drops so they get another $80 for a goofy brembo lever).

Last edited:
Third pro tip:

I messed up my cable routing due to heated grips, heated seat, aftermarket blinkers, etc jamming up behind the headlight. I managed to pull my OEM cable cover out of the crimp at the motor side and the cable can now rub there too metal cable on metal crimp. I assume I did this when riding lock to lock at low speed while I didn't route things well. The OEM cable is about $80 (+10% annual increase I'm assuming lol!).

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Lol I’m that guy. They sent me a new lever bracket. New one has less slop, and I filed the new one down as well. No issues since.

ciphfer

Lol I’m that guy. They sent me a new lever bracket. New one has less slop, and I filed the new one down as well. No issues since.
Hi Ferraiolo...did you file it down the same way as in your video? I just received mine from Raximo and I am assuming it is the newer version you mentioned. I want to be sure I am filing it correctly. Thanks for your help.