Riding in extreme Heat.....issue

Ab.riyami

Note: temperatures are in Celsius .

Hello,

Had my FTR1200 for a year and a half now, I live in a hot and dry country (Oman) and summer is starting to peak. I've ridden it when the weather was hot before but I don't recall riding it in weather as hot as tonight.

It is 42-44 degrees at 9pm, I'm revving hard as usual but this time the throttle randomly stops, the engine doesn't cut or turn off (no warning lights too), it just randomly doesn't rev high when I try to push it, and the head lamps cuts off randomly. The engine temperature is higher than usual but that's normal when the weather is gets hot here (between 80-97 degrees), the fan turns on and cools it down every now and then.

Was wondering if this ever happened to anyone else before? I'm certainly going to test it more in the following nights to see if the issue persists.

I also went for a ride earlier at dawn today (weather is somewhat cooler at dawn between 34-39) with no issues.

Max Kool

I’ve ridden around those temps yes (110-115°F), though out in the open, not in city traffic. Bike had no problems. Sorry.

This sounds like a heat related electrical problem. ☹️

D

Deleted member 706

Living in Perth Western Australia I have ridden in the low 40's with no issues. Out of curiosity I have watched the coolant temperature climb at the traffic lights and fall back slowly when the green light comes on.
I'm seriously considering a quality coolant such as Motul for the next southern summer.

edgelett

Hottest I've ridden in is 40C in peak hour. Fan always comes on about 94 ish, bike never got hotter than 98.
sorry never had the issue you describe.

Ab.riyami

I’ve ridden around those temps yes (110-115°F), though out in the open, not in city traffic. Bike had no problems. Sorry.

This sounds like a heat related electrical problem. ☹️
That's the thing, in our city we don't usually have traffic, most of my rides can be considered out in the open. its a small quite city, no traffic.

I'll test it further. So an electrical failure due to heat is a possibility... Good I'm still under warrantee.

D

Deleted member 706

Why change coolant? 50:50 does a perfect job.
There's a bit more to this than was immediately apparent, so to avoid hi-jacking this thread, I'll answer it elsewhere.