Steering damper?

chris

Has anyone tried to retrofit a steering damper onto their FTR? Coming from a roadracing background, I just love having them on both track and street bikes. Was thinking of picking up a used Ohlins OEM unit off of a Kawasaki and fabbing up the mounting bracket(s). Just wanted to see if anyone had gone down this route before I started from scratch.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Nope none that I’ve seen over the years. The front geometry and wheel base isn’t aggressive enough to really need one. Even all the guys racing in the bagger league aren’t running them.

9/10 times they are just masking a poor suspension set up on bikes like this.

but they do look neat. Good luck!

edgelett

I can't recall seeing one on anyone's FTR either here or on FB or insta.
Honestly I've never felt the need for one but I also don't ride that hard (too many hidden speed cameras out here)
agree they look good though. Maybe give it a go and see what happens?

chris

Yeah, I'm going to get out to the garage tonight (it's cold as hell here right now) and take some measurements. Probably waterjet some mounting brackets out of stainless once I figure out the best mounting location.

I try to keep it pretty conservative on the streets, and I always have, but driving out of corners on back country roads, the front end likes to really lighten up. I'd just like to have that little extra bit of insurance. I'll post up some pictures once I get some work done.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
I was looking at it when I had my head apart. I had a damper from an old bike that attacked to the tubular frame. But with how the ftr frame is it won’t clear the radiator.

there isn’t room to add one to the stop stem nut unless you want to cut apart the air box covers.

only option I could see viable would be an older style gsxr type damper that goes under the steering head, above the radiator.

chris

I recently moved to Hanover, PA, USA. I'm originally from Huntington Beach, CA, USA.

I never said the FTR necessarily needed one, I said I prefer to have them on my bikes whether they are being used on the track or street. If you see no need for it, more power to you.

Found this one in great shape on eBay and am happy with the offer they accepted. Once it warms up and I have the damper in hand I'll get started.

gv3buh0.jpg

Breto

I run an LSL steering damper on my Thruxton. Main reason being they did suffer from headshake with the standard wheels and dampening. The spring rate was fine but the dampening was woeful. I fitted emulators, changed my wheels to 17” and retained the steering damper. While I’ve only got it set on 2 clicks it still does a great job especially at high speed. Anything over two clicks actually makes the bike pick up a slow weave over 200 k. But it helps the handling.

Blue1

As I appreciate your smarmy reply.

How do you expect anyone to respect your opinion if you don't respect the opinion of others?

Breto

As I appreciate your smarmy reply.

How do you expect anyone to respect your opinion if you don't respect the opinion of others?
Who are you aiming that at mate? Smarmy? Not sure who or why that’s come about 🤔

Breto

It’s all personal preference man…it’s what your comfortable with on your bikes. You know all the years I’ve been riding I still say it doesn’t matter what you ride, as long as you ride. For me a day on a motorcycle is a day never waisted.

Blue1

Laugh out loud and then say he appreciates my opinion?

I take that as a rip. I didn't say it was stupid to add unnecessary stuff to his bike, I didn't insult him, I just stated why I wouldn't put a steering damper on mine. The LOL is what made it offensive.

And if he didn't intend it to be, he could have posted and said that and I would have accepted that.