The dilemma of choosing a new motorcycle

edgelett

Tony and I both got our motorcycle learners permits back in 2004 for him and then 2005 for me. back then we didn't have any disposable cash so the idea was he'd get his L's first and get a learner approved bike (back then in South Aus we were limited to nothing over a 250. this has now changed to up to 650 with specific power to weight ratio).
Then when he moved on to his full licence and got a bigger bike, I'd get my L's and either use his bike or sell that and get something appropriate for me.
Since 2004 Tony has had a ZZR250 (his learner bike), Honda CB1300, Honda VFR800, MV Augusta Brutale 1090 RR and now the Harley Roadster.
The VFR and Roadster were purchased new, everything else was 2nd hand.
The Harley he's owned now for over 5 years, the longest he's had any bike.

After our 3 day trip to the South East of SA a few months back, he's wanting to do more riding trips.
But the suspension on the Roadster is quite frankly garbage. The roads in SA are shit, and every pot hole and bump tried to realign his spine (I was fine on the FTR by the way)
The throttle lock on the Roadster was also pretty shit, either constantly slowly speeding up or slownig down. (I was fine with my cruise control).
On top of that, a few months ago he noticed his exhaust bracket had cracked and he had to repair it.
This now has him looking at an insane variety of bikes over the last 3 weeks, trying to decide whether he wants to get something else or not.

So far he's considered an Indian Scout (he's worried about tank range being less than the Roadster), new 2022 Indian Chief Dark Horse, Ducati Multistada 950 (he's concerned about Itallian bikes after his experience with the MV Augusta), Triumph Tiger 850 and 950 low, Kawasaki Versys, Suzuki Vstrom, Various BMW's, zero Hondas though. he's open to either a new or 2nd hand bike, and would love a proper sports tourer but as no-one seems to be making them any more, he finds he's instead limited to adventure tourers (we won't be riding off road if we can avoid it) or cruisers.
But he also loves riding through the twisties.

What is he looking for? honestly not sure. He's shorter than me by 1/2 an inch so there are a number of adventure tourers we eliminated immediately due to seat height and some he needs to sit on to see if he can touch the ground at all. He's also aware some adventure tourers have electronic suspension which helps in terms of changing ride height when getting on/off and at lights etc. He wants a larger tank range than the Roadster, so anything that gets more than 200kms a tank he's happy with (i got between 220-250 on the open road with the FTR). He needs something that can fit panniers at a minimum, panniers plus top box or bag on rear rack would be awesome.
Also looking for better suspension and if possible cruise control as factory or something that can be fitted with aftermarket cruise control.
He also loves riding the twisties, but part of the reason he got the Roadster was to force him to slow down. He was probably going to end up as road pizza on the MV because it made him ride like a maniac. For that reason, he's not keen on a suspersport or even an insanely fast naked bike. We considered a 2nd FTR but he thinks he'll ride like a loony haha.
His Harley has zero chicken strips on the rear tyre and he scrapes pegs regularly. For that reason, he's concerned the longer wheelbase on the Scout and Chief aren't going to be any good for him (and he's worried about scraping exhausts).

The intention is to take our time and look at a lot of bikes both new and 2nd hand, do as many test rides via dealers that we can, and make sure this is a long term investment.
Other than the bikes I already mentioned - is there anything else outside the square we should consider looking at?
are there other considerations he should take in to account beyond the usual (ergonomics/comfort/etc)

Thanks all :)

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
The challanger and new chief are good contenders.

And believe it or it the challanger has better suspension and breaks than the Chief and actually a good bit faster.

scouts too small imo

edgelett

The challanger and new chief are good contenders.

And believe it or it the challanger has better suspension and breaks than the Chief and actually a good bit faster.

scouts too small imo
Thanks Mike, appreciate your input.
Sadly with a starting price of $40K AU, the Challenger is going to be way out of our price range.
the Chief will be affordable if we get good money for the Roadster and get a small loan for the rest. I still owe $12K on the FTR so conscious of not getting too in debt.

but yes - my mind did briefly think of the Challenger. Maybe in another few years :)

kiwi dave

I'm very happy with my 2017 Chief I purchased second hand. Great to ride, predictable, and enuff grunt to take off in any gear I choose.

Planning a ride to the South Island late February, and this is going to be the bike I intend to take. No issues with reaching the ground unlike the FTR1200.

mark.lb

Test ride a Scout with forward controls or a Super Chief. See how your husband fits. The Scout has a relatively low price and lots of options are available for light touring. The Super Chief is a little larger and can be ordered with a 116cui. but is a little more expensive.

Helge

I can propose the Yamaha Tracer 700 ... with the well known engine from my Tenere 700 (y)
....the 2-cylinder needs a bit more rpm to go sporty but has an excellent chassis.
....and has a better tank volume than the FTR ;)

edgelett

Test ride a Scout with forward controls or a Super Chief. See how your husband fits. The Scout has a relatively low price and lots of options are available for light touring. The Super Chief is a little larger and can be ordered with a 116cui. but is a little more expensive.
he's not a big fan of forward controls, the reason he got the Roadster is because it had mid controls.
is there a reason you think the forward controls will be a better option?

Breto

E00E0A2C-ED03-4325-B818-B2EC64F189CF.jpeg
This I the 1050 sprint that I picked up for my youngest son. It was a very capable sport tourer, with a reasonably low seat height, great handling manners and had hard panniers and a top box. It was reliable and smooth and a great bike. Second hand I paid $3500 for it. Put new chain and sprockets, brake pads and did an oil change and a general go over. He had many trouble free k’s on it and it sounded great with the after market pipes. Worth a look if your wanting something comfy that can carry and behave sportingly if required Tash. E708E1CA-9870-438B-927E-40B69B860E87.jpeg

edgelett

Cheers Breto - the Sprint ST and GT are in his list, prices are higher at the moment (COVID) and a bit limited in terms of fancy stuff like cruise control but sill a bike he likes the look of.
Great to hear from someone who owned it and loved it!

mark.lb

The Scouts are the smallest motorcycles in the Indian lineup, especially the Bobber models. I am 5’ 11-1/2”” tall. I feel more comfortable (less cramped) on the Scouts with forward controls than on those with mids. Not sure exactly how long your husbands legs are but forwards may feel better on a bike smaller than the Harley Roadster.

edgelett

The Scouts are the smallest motorcycles in the Indian lineup, especially the Bobber models. I am 5’ 11-1/2”” tall. I feel more comfortable (less cramped) on the Scouts with forward controls than on those with mids. Not sure exactly how long your husbands legs are but forwards may feel better on a bike smaller than the Harley Roadster.
ok. He's 5'7" and he thought the Scout was a lot bigger than his Roadster - the wheelbase certainly is.
he likes mid controls.

Breto

Mids are heaps better than forward controls. Way better on your back and offer more control in bad situations. For me anyway…👍😎

edgelett

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments everyone, he's been reading and watching heaps of reviews and has a LOT of bikes to look at in the metal now.
Will be advertising the Harley soon so we can work out how much play money he will have and start some test rides!

edgelett

Today we planned on finishing our garden shed but it's raining which makes welding a little too dangerous lol.
BUT - perfect weather for sitting on some motorcycles :)
Tony was able to eliminate some on the list immediately such as the Suzuki Vstrom - he sat on one and couldn't even stand it up it was so high.
And some he looked at and just didn't like the look of.
sadly due to limited stock there were no Triumph Tigers to sit on, and we ran out of time to get to the BWM dealership.
But we know the Ducati Multistrada 950S and Kawasaki Versys are fine for his height, so once the Harley is gone we'll organise some test rides :)