The running thread for off topic discussions

Darren Shaw

Blue, far from eroding my skills it allows me to brake later, turn in harder and get out the corner quicker. I race an MV Agusta F3 and I can tell you that backing a bike in and clutching are much smoother with a blipper. But thanks for informing me as I actually didn't know pulling a lever was a skill!

JDigi

Blue, far from eroding my skills it allows me to brake later, turn in harder and get out the corner quicker. I race an MV Agusta F3 and I can tell you that backing a bike in and clutching are much smoother with a blipper. But thanks for informing me as I actually didn't know pulling a lever was a skill!
You didn't realize pulling a lever in synchronicity with a quick and precise throttle-blip while also using the same hand to apply even pressure to the brakes was a racing skill?

What div do you race in?

Darren Shaw

Blue, I race in No Limits which is a feeder to BSB, I have raced against podium winners in BSB. Moto GP have used blippers and seamless boxes for ages, but then again they don't have much skill.
More than once has the blipper saved me from a crash, when shifting down the box from 160mph to 20mph I take all the aids I can. And yes I will be taking the FTR on a track.

Attachments

• IMG_0058.JPG
    IMG_0058.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 11

Blue1

I don't race, and if I only used a clutchless system I know my ability to properly blip the throttle while braking and downshifting would decline...use it or lose it.

I'm not quite the superman that Max is.

Darren Shaw

My 1946 Chief has a foot clutch and suicide shift should I convert my FTR to foot clutch and add a gear knob! I ride several other bikes and haven't lost the ability to blip and downshift! When I get a bike on track I have a million and one other things to concentrate on, so being able to bang down the box and work back brake and engine braking to create a lovely opposite lock last second drop in is worth the money to me.

Blue1

Your skill has not eroded because you have the good fortune to have several bikes and the time to continue to use that skill.

Just because I don't think the device is worth the money (for me), doesn't mean anyone needs to get all thin-skinned, defensive and insulting.

Darren Shaw

Not sure who you addressing the insult line to, but people in glass house etc. Your the one telling people they don't have skill and the blipper is a waste of money, not thin skinned just robust rebuttal

Darren Shaw

You didn't realize pulling a lever in synchronicity with a quick and precise throttle-blip while also using the same hand to apply even pressure to the brakes was a racing skill?

What div do you race in?
I race in No Limits which is a feeder to BSB, I have raced against podium winners in BSB. Moto GP have used blippers and seamless boxes for ages, but then again they don't have much skill.
More than once has the blipper saved me from a crash, when shifting down the box from 160mph to 20mph I take all the aids I can. And yes I will be taking the FTR on a track.

Attachments​

Blue1

OK, let's clear the air.

For me, I think that almost a grand for this device is way too much money. I said that because I was sincerely interested in the device, but was shocked at its cost.

For my opinion, Max doesn't say, "Why do you feel that way?" No, he says my opinion is "nonsense".

That is rude. But this is from a guy who self-proclaims he is Max Kool, so I consider the source.

I never said anyone here is not skilled, reread the thread. What I said is if you don't use a particular skill (in this instance I am referring to rev-matching downshifts, not overall riding skill), you slowly use proficiency at said skill. That is a fact in any human endeavor, frequent use maintains or increases proficiency, lack of use results in a slow erosion of the skill.

Actually, I just reread the thread and see that Darren states he has this device on all his machines, so yes, his skill at rev-matched downshifting will erode. If he has this device on all his bikes, I guess he doesn't care, since he won't have to use that skill anymore.

BTW, Darren, I didn't ask what division you race in, JDigi did. I really don't care.

Blue1

Agreed.

Opinions can be debated (one of the functions of a forum, no?), but general human respect means they shouldn't be derided, so maybe we should practice that here moving forward.

FTR London

Agreed.

Opinions can be debated (one of the functions of a forum, no?), but general human respect means they shouldn't be derided, so maybe we should practice that here moving forward.
That very much depends what the "opinion" is. Will live in a dangerous populist era in which it is worn as a badge of honour and seems to prevail over independently verifiable fact, evidence and expertise.

Returning to the discussion, I absolutely understand the benefit of a blipper, but can't for the life of me comprehend why anyone would see necessary to fit one to a road going Indian FTR 1200. Saying that, I don't understand a lot of the accessorising, additions and purchases on this forum. In respect of the latter though, most definitely, to each their own.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
No, no they didn’t.

this is a card only the ambassadors got to give away. This $500 is ON TOP of any other offer including the $500 offer that was emailed to people.

We gave him the card, but his bike came before the card came in the mail. He asked if he should send it back to one of us. We told him to give it to another fellow rider.

Notaharley

No, no they didn’t.

this is a card only the ambassadors got to give away. This $500 is ON TOP of any other offer including the $500 offer that was emailed to people.

We gave him the card, but his bike came before the card came in the mail. He asked if he should send it back to one of us. We told him to give it to another fellow rider.
What's an ambassador? Someone works at Polaris Indian?

Between the screen name and all the scams that pop up, I jumped the gun and I'm sorry about that. My bad.