Thinking about getting an FTR, a few Qs

dave1068

Hi all,

Thinking about getting this bike and have read and seen several online reviews and youtube videos. I'm 6'2, with 34" legs and some minor lower back issues. If anyone here has similar traits, how comfortable is the bike for you? I also use my bike to go to work which is 100 miles round trip and definitely need wind protection, I have see a Puig 12" high windscreen which has positive reviews. Thanks for the info

-Dave

mtberbob

I'm only 5'6" with a 30" inseam but I also have lower back issues, with the rally bars I sit more upright and dont have any back issues when im riding, you may be more hunched over than I am though. I also travel 100 miles round trip for my work commute and haven't had any issues with not using a windscreen. I have bark buster handguards that block some of the wind but that's really to keep my hands out of the cold air.

dave1068

Thanks for the reply, I have a Moto Guzzi V85TT-Great bike and rides well but I need to ride less upright and a bit hunched over. Good to know-appreciate the info.

Any general concerns with the FTR I should know about?

Zilonis

Hi Dave!

I have a very close build to yours, 6'2" with 33" inseam. Besides the stock seat being (for me) a bit uncomfortable after about 45 minutes of riding I'm happy with the overall comfort and ergonomics. I do not use a windscreen so on long highway rides, if I'm sitting in an upright / more comfortable position @ 70mph+ the wind drag is real. Tucking low works however I imagine a windscreen would help quite a bit with that issue on long rides. How many highway miles would you be dong on your commute, if any?

As far as the stance and it's effect on your lower back, you'd have to sit on one to see how it feels. This bike has a more aggressive, leaned forward stance (back angled forward slightly, toes pointing down 30-40deg? I've seen people put higher (rally) bars and flat pegs to get more of the couch feel. maybe I'll get there one day :)

With all of of that said I'm sure you know this bike isn't aimed at a demographic looking for cruiser comfort. This is the Flat Track RACER! It is insanely fun to ride and leaves me smiling or literally giggling out loud in my helmet each time I ride. If you let it this bike will try to kill you, that's why I bought it.

dave1068

Appreciate the info, I have about a 100mile round trip to work but only go in to the office 2days a week. Most riding is done on RI/CT back roads.It definitely is a great looking bike. I have heard about starting issues but that seems to be the main issue. I may see if I can get to Moms and sit on one and test drive. To be continued

Webby

Hi all,

Thinking about getting this bike and have read and seen several online reviews and youtube videos. I'm 6'2, with 34" legs and some minor lower back issues. If anyone here has similar traits, how comfortable is the bike for you? I also use my bike to go to work which is 100 miles round trip and definitely need wind protection, I have see a Puig 12" high windscreen which has positive reviews. Thanks for the info

-Dave
Im 6’2” n 34” legs too and this bike is a little small but just about the perfect bike for a 50 mi commuter/raver. Im a sportbike rider more than any other bike so my tolerance for lack of comfort is high when fun is the trade off. I did a 180mi sunday and was glad to get off the bike. I have long haul bikes and would not own this bike by itself but to zip around town it works wellfor me. Im going to look at a windscreens and maybe a saddlemen seat. May even lower the pegs a bot too since my knee draggin says are over.

dave1068

Thanks for the info, good to know. Sounds like its fun bike with a few mods, I think the windsceen, new seat and lowering of pegs may greatly improve things. Too bad mfgs dont make a bike that already has that lol

Be safe!

D

Deleted member 706

Hi 68 yr old 5'6" 29" leg, this bike has a much better riding position than my Trident which gives me upper leg or hip cramps. I did a 130 mile commute the last 2 days, today is an 80 mile commute, to yet another site.
I agree about the seat and I'm thinking about Saddlemen...
One commute is only about 60 miles but involves a congested freeway and lane filtering. I have Fuel Moto tune and a Bassani slip on which makes the power delivery a bit rough on 1/4 to 1/2 throttle.
All in all it is a great bike to ride in a wide range of circumstances.

JDP

I have the 2019 model and I haven’t had any issues at all except I went on a Coast to Coast trip last year and my ass was killing me the stock seat sucks for me but the air hawk seat pad helped me out on the long rides but everything else is great I just can’t get off this thing it’s a blast to ride

dave1068

Well gang, I took one out for a test drive and all I can say is YOWZA!! I kept in 4th gear most of the ride but when you reach a certain point on the throttle and acceelerate, it takes off like a rocket (at least compared to my MG) A little cramped as I have long legs but overall not too bad, if I were to buy one, Is add a windscreen and see how pricy it is to lower the pegs

It was in sport mode and still gave a pretty smooth ride but I know it has pickup and then some. The seat was a bit uncomfortable as I use a wild-ass (same as air hawk) and i would add that. It was a maroon and silver/grey and looks better in person (kind of sparkly)

Thats all for now, Ill see what develops, appreciate the replies!

Charliemurphay

Peak afterburner mode 5-6k rpm. A few companies make adjustable rear sets, not sure if they lower the pegs or not but they have good reviews.

dave1068

Good to know, I did notice most of the used ones for sale barely have 3000 miles....Curious why so many have such low mileage. I got my MG about 1yrs ago and im coming up on 8000 miles.

dave1068

I found a 2019 base model with some nice options, pro taper bars, windscreen and side bag. From what ive read, the base model has "better" suspension for street riding. Plus I think the base model has a simpler computer set up with less functions

Any base model owners, feel free to chime in-Thx

D

Deleted member 706

Originally I wanted an S or RR, but I saved some money and got the base model. From what I have heard the extra money for the extra bells and whistles is maybe not value for money.
After some teething problems I have a bike I really like, it is not a perfect motorcycle but it is great fun to ride and that's the acid test. IMG_20220112_081856.jpg

edgelett

I From what ive read, the base model has "better" suspension for street riding.
that's a weird comment - how can suspension that isn't adjustable at all be 'better'?
lots of base owners have upgraded their suspension to the S suspension so they can adjust it for their weight and riding style.

dave1068

Thanks for the replies, the article in CW that referenced that comment indicated since the suspension is not adjustable but its sensors adapt to road changes, its "better" for street rising as compared to racing, etc

Max Kool

There are no sensors adapting to road changes on any FTR. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I do recall though, testers riding the base model back then liked it better (more comfortable) than the S on stock settings.