Tried Out a 2023 FTR Today - I'm Torn

EllenGtrGrl

I'm on vacation today and tomorrow, so I scheduled my 2019 FT1200R Base model for it's 5000 mile servicing, oil change, and to have the coolant tee safety recall issue taken care of . Since I had a bit of a wait ahead of me (I didn't have a ride home, nor did I want to spend money on an Uber ride). I bought my tablet (it's internet capable, and has an e-book reader, and games on it) to pass the time. While I was waiting, I noticed the 2023 FTRs on the showroom floor, and the same saleswoman who sold me my FTR back in 2020, also showed me a 2023 FTR Rally (I really liked the way it looked). I asked the saleswoman, if to she would satisfy my curiosity, by doing a loan workup, using my 2019 FTR as trading material, on a Base 2023 FTR, and a 2023 FTR Rally. She did so, and while the loan payments were definitely higher than what the payment is for my 2019 FTR, they were doable by me.

I took the 2023 FTR1200 Base for a spin. Not bad. Power delivery was a tad smoother than my 2019 FTR Base. As expected the, handling was bit faster than my 2019 due to the smaller 17 inch front wheel, which was no big deal to me - I've had bikes with 17 inch front wheels in the past. The narrower bars were fine too. The only downer was the seating. Like my previously owned BMW R1200R (before I put the optional high seat on it), the 2023 FTR Base (and I assume the Sport, and the Carbon Black), the seat felt too low for my taste, actually being kind of uncomfortable in my hips. I could say to myself, is "nice bike, but no thanks." It was too bad, my 2019 FTR1200 Base may have tall seating, but I don't feel scrunched up in the seat - It's decently comfortable.

Still, the seating shortcomings of the 17 inch wheeled FTRs wasn't the end of the world, after looking at the 2023 FTR Rally, I was more interested in it, than the 17 inch wheeled FTRs. Unfortunately, I couldn't take the Rally for a spin. It turns out that the Indian dealership doesn't own it. It is the personal bike of the regional Indian sales rep (for some reason he stores it at Indian Motorcycles of Metro Milwaukee. {the dealership I was at]). :( But I did get the chance to sit on it, to check the seating position, and it felt fine to me - I didn't feel scrunched up on it at all. I was told that if was willing to put up with a 4 to 5 week waiting time, the dealer could get me one. I said I'd have to think about that.

I feel torn - from what I've read, and gathered from my test ride, there have been improvements to the FTR engine (though I will admit that the cylinder disengagement, when you're stopped, was kind of weird). Also, the 2023 FTR Rally looks kind of cool, but I wonder if I would really be gaining anything by getting rid of my 2019 FTR Base, and getting a 2023 FTR Rally (especially when you consider that they both have 19 inch front wheels).

edgelett

Firstly - great to see you on here again :)

are all the other engine improvements on the 2023 FTRs also on the 2023 FTR Rally?
the Rally isn't available in Aus so I can't check.
It definitely sounds like the 18/19 inch wheels are more your preference in terms of height.
but honestly it might not be worth the cost of swapping.
Is your FTR tuned? I can't recall...

EllenGtrGrl

Firstly - great to see you on here again :)

are all the other engine improvements on the 2023 FTRs also on the 2023 FTR Rally?
the Rally isn't available in Aus so I can't check.
It definitely sounds like the 18/19 inch wheels are more your preference in terms of height.
but honestly it might not be worth the cost of swapping.
Is your FTR tuned? I can't recall...
Hi Tash,

Other than the latest firmware updates for the ECU from Indian, I do not have any aftermarket tune on my FTR. You are pretty much echoing my own thoughts. I'm getting the impression that other than different silencer end cans, a slightly classier seat, the (to me) funky cylinder shutdown, when you're at a stop, different tires, and what felt like (in the brief test ride I took of the 2023 Base FTR) a slightly smoother power delivery, it didn't seem all that much different from my 2019 FTR.

Unless somebody can convince me of marked differences and improvements over my current 2019 FTR, I might just hang onto it. I will admit though, that the 2023 FTR Rally sure did look cool.

2023 FTR1200 Rally
iu

edgelett

yeah I really like the colours on the 2023 Rally. looks amazing.
you could always change your muffler, and grab the Rally seat as an accessory from Indian.
I do recommend you get a tune on your FTR at some point though- it will help with the smoothness you enjoyed.

EllenGtrGrl

yeah I really like the colours on the 2023 Rally. looks amazing.
you could always change your muffler, and grab the Rally seat as an accessory from Indian.
I do recommend you get a tune on your FTR at some point though- it will help with the smoothness you enjoyed.

Maybe yes for me replacing the seat and the muffler. As for the state of tune my FTR has - I really don't have any issues with the engine. Yes, once in a rare while, I'll have the engine error, that requires a shutdown and restart, but other than that it's fine - just slightly different from the 2023s. You just have to remember to let the engine warm up a bit, before you start really cranking on the throttle. Once it's warm (typically 160F/71C), you can get crazy with the throttle.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
The seats are the same as far as shape and location. The 22+ models have a slightly different rearset position that makes the bike feel a little different.