Wheelie/stunts

Mlazarus

For the novice wheelie practitioner, I would shy away from clutch wheelies. You get everything all at once and if your rear brake game isn't solid, you might exceed your comfort zone faster than expected. Take it up to about 3500, chop the throttle, then back on the gas should bring the wheel off the ground easily. I've accidentally wheelied the bike trying to get in front of a soccer mom. Keep your foot covering the rear brake when you practice. That's the key to un-wheelie...
I've taken to avoiding wheelies these days. I'm concerned about fork seals and killing myself.

FTR London

I'm listening. Is it safer/smarter to clutch dump? I've always found the opposite. Help me out.
No - whatever you do, don't 'dump the clutch'.

Clutching up is much safer than the above, power wheelies or 'roll off-roll on' - the latter is hugely uncontrollable and unpredictable which is why as you say it's essential to cover the back brake. I was popping power wheelies for fun on this bike because the throttle was so savage on the old tune and like you, they occasionally happened unintentionally.

Clutch wheelies are preferable because not only can you do them at quite low speed, they are smoother, more controllable, you can hold them on longer and when you get confident you can even upshift. I must add, I love the transmission on the FTR.

Sure, the FTR is a heavy bike, but because it has an abundance of torque as you have found, the front comes up without much persuasion. Slide back in the seat to compress the rear suspension (this is essential), power on, but you don't need a huge amount of rpm, smoothly and progressively slip the clutch at around 80% to let the revs rise to around five and a half grand, and rapidly releasing the clutch (don't dump it) simultaneously open the throttle quite hard. If you do it right, and it takes practice, you can then control the duration and height with the clutch and gas and some bikes are easier to find the balance point than others. Personally, I can only manage this on lighter mx bikes. Once you get the hang of the timing - clutch release and hard on the throttle, you can start experimenting with length and height. Usually, once you perfect this, you don't really have to rev before you clutch. If it's smooth and simultaneous, a quick motion - then it'll feel natural and controllable. It's also a comparatively safe way to wheelie because you can gradually build confidence. You'll see dreadful advice online saying practice this in first, which is fine if the bike isn't too powerful. On a one litre sportsbike I can only speculate how many novices have unintentionally launched themselves into orbit.

In contrast, bouncing up/roll on-roll off, where you you compress the front as you cut the throttle at high revs, then immediately grab a fistful as you slide back in the seat is fraught with danger because you have so little control. It can also elevate alarmingly fast. The FTR has caught me out lazily doing this method several times now. Also, unlike clutching up, it's bloody hard to land them smoothly - particularly when they are heading skyward faster than you intended. I've looped two-stroke dirt bikes learning how to wheelie badly on grass and off-road but I've never come close to doing it when clutching up on a road bike. The FTR will also naturally power wheelie - and although only a few feet, I find these are really gratifying and not alarming in the slightest. Obviously, it needs to be in Sports mode but also with the TC disabled.

I'm confident, although by no means a maestro at wheelieing - but I do know complete masters of the art. That said, all of them have got in trouble at some stage, either through being too bold, or with the law. It's certainly a black art and a dark path on the road.

Mlazarus

"...rapidly releasing the clutch (don't dump it)"

This might be the source of my misinformed attitude. I was introduced to the clutch dump method. And learned it was not nearly as controllable as judicious throttle chop. Fine explanation.

FTR London

"...rapidly releasing the clutch (don't dump it)"

This might be the source of my misinformed attitude. I was introduced to the clutch dump method. And learned it was not nearly as controllable as judicious throttle chop. Fine explanation.
It's an important distinction because feathering subsequently offers more control, whereas "dumping" implies that you're done with it.

I have booted up through clutches shifts on other bikes whilst the front is elevated, but it's not terribly good for it with the throttle open and at that angle. But then habitual wheelies aren't great for your bike period, or your health and safety, other road users and the general public or your licence.

mark.lb

You guys are killing me -
I’m almost 64 years old. After a bad crash 2 years ago and 4 weeks in the hospital with multiple broken bones, I generally try to keep the front wheel on the ground. My wheelie days are in the rear view mirror!
(The accident was not my fault but the motorcyclist always loses when you are hit by a car.)

FTR London

You guys are killing me -
I’m almost 64 years old. After a bad crash 2 years ago and 4 weeks in the hospital with multiple broken bones, I generally try to keep the front wheel on the ground. My wheelie days are in the rear view mirror!
(The accident was not my fault but the motorcyclist always loses when you are hit by a car.)
? Precisely the point I was making...
It's certainly a black art and a dark path on the road.
But then habitual wheelies aren't great for your bike period, or your health and safety, other road users and the general public or your licence.
Seriously, this forum kills me.

Bizarre.