Why did you buy this bike?

FTR London

@FTR London:

Anyway, your basic premise the FTR is a track bike is flawed like St. Anselm's Theorum.
That isn't my basic premise though, so your logic is as fallacious as the above. Nice straw man though. To clarify, I said that it is "supposedly a road going flat track racer" although the beast that lumbered out of Spirit Lake soon put paid to that notion.

As I said, I was simply interested in the people's reasons for buying it, that;s all. I've received some really constructive replies too.

Incidentally, Kant did not disprove the existence of God. Although some aspects of Christianity did not reconcile with his ethical philosophy, nonetheless, his deontological world view and the 'categorical imperative' argues in favour of a higher, universal and absolute truth which he held was divine in nature.

Anyway, about the Indian FTR 1200...

Max Kool

I think for many people it’s classic debate between “the bike I want” and “the bike that’s practical to me”. And ultimately make the bike they want more practical.

Nothing surprises me anymore, really.

When it comes to bikes I’m vain, and probably a masochist. Ultimately I wanted this, but well aware a 1 gallon fuel tank wouldn’t cut it.. and it would probably ride worse.

F1AB061E-8B17-4B19-A2D1-D3F947CB265C.jpeg

Last edited:

Walrus

That isn't my basic premise though, so your logic is as fallacious as the above. Nice straw man though. To clarify, I said that it is "supposedly a road going flat track racer" although the beast that lumbered out of Spirit Lake soon put paid to that notion.

As I said, I was simply interested in the people's reasons for buying it, that;s all. I've received some really constructive replies too.

Incidentally, Kant did not disprove the existence of God. Although some aspects of Christianity did not reconcile with his ethical philosophy, nonetheless, his deontological world view and the 'categorical imperative' argues in favour of a higher, universal and absolute truth which he held was divine in nature.

Anyway, about the Indian FTR 1200...
Didn't say Kant disproved existence of god, merely St. Anselm's Theorum, which was held as infallible proof of existence of a deity. Not discussing theology, merely logic and motorcycles in, I hope, a friendly way.

FTR London

Didn't say Kant disproved existence of god, merely St. Anselm's Theorum, which was held as infallible proof of existence of a deity. Not discussing theology, merely logic and motorcycles in, I hope, a friendly way.
Of course...I do like your 'Phaedrus' alter-ego though.

Breto

Well at the risk of repeating myself I’ll throw me two cents in here…I was invited to the launch of the FTR at Brisbane Indian back I the day when Indian dealers stood alone…now they have been absorbed by the corporate conglomerate but that’s another story…so we went and I had actually liked the basic black version until I saw it up close…the RR was under wraps and we minced around drinking champagne and eating nibbles until they decided to pull the cloth off the RR…well initially I thought mmmm it’s ok but I wasn’t sure about all the hipe that went with it…I took my turn and sat on it…kinda scratched my head at the IPhone dash and pondered the ergonomics…then went away with a Tshirt and was happy I’d gone…there where people there smashing down their 6 grand deposits knowing full well they weren’t going to get there bike for another 3 to 6 months…anyway to cut a long story short I decided that I would buy the latest TRD Triumph Rocket. I was told that we were not going to see that super model here in Aus. Even though I had the money to buy the 50 grand version. So instead I decided stuff it I’ll get one of those RR things…my wife’s Bobber was a nice bike, well finished and a great price so I thought I’d do it…after screwing the salesman to the wall and scoring a couple of nice extra bits in the deal I went to pick it up…to this day I have never in my life had such a bad tempered, unreliable dangerous motorcycle off any bike shop floor like this thing…ask any one here, I hated it…I was so close to shoving it up Indians ass and getting my money back…I never wanted this bike because of its flat track heritage…I just liked the look of it and the potential it had to be transformed into my own version of something in my mind…I kinda new the look I was after and with a shit load of help from some very good and talented people on this forum ( you all know who you are and you all know I can never thank you all enough) it is the bike it is today…now, I’m actually impressed with it…it’s been sorted tune wise, is now very reliable, handles so much better, sounds amazing and even holds it own on the track as well as the road…I liken mine to more of motard than anything else really. Nimble, quick and loud…yep love hate relationship that leans more towards love these days but at the same time if I came across something else I would not hesitate to sell it. Doesn’t have a place in my heart like my Thruxton does…

Attachments

• FAD38F9C-C0D6-4AEE-A459-709910C0F403.jpeg
    FAD38F9C-C0D6-4AEE-A459-709910C0F403.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 22
  • 54FACF00-A69F-4D12-BF1C-F286A11D9D34.jpeg
    54FACF00-A69F-4D12-BF1C-F286A11D9D34.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 22

FTR London

Well at the risk of repeating myself I’ll throw me two cents in here…I was invited to the launch of the FTR at Brisbane Indian back I the day when Indian dealers stood alone…now they have been absorbed by the corporate conglomerate but that’s another story…so we went and I had actually liked the basic black version until I saw it up close…the RR was under wraps and we minced around drinking champagne and eating nibbles until they decided to pull the cloth off the RR…well initially I thought mmmm it’s ok but I wasn’t sure about all the hipe that went with it…I took my turn and sat on it…kinda scratched my head at the IPhone dash and pondered the ergonomics…then went away with a Tshirt and was happy I’d gone…there where people there smashing down their 6 grand deposits knowing full well they weren’t going to get there bike for another 3 to 6 months…anyway to cut a long story short I decided that I would buy the latest TRD Triumph Rocket. I was told that we were not going to see that super model here in Aus. Even though I had the money to buy the 50 grand version. So instead I decided stuff it I’ll get one of those RR things…my wife’s Bobber was a nice bike, well finished and a great price so I thought I’d do it…after screwing the salesman to the wall and scoring a couple of nice extra bits in the deal I went to pick it up…to this day I have never in my life had such a bad tempered, unreliable dangerous motorcycle off any bike shop floor like this thing…ask any one here, I hated it…I was so close to shoving it up Indians ass and getting my money back…I never wanted this bike because of its flat track heritage…I just liked the look of it and the potential it had to be transformed into my own version of something in my mind…I kinda new the look I was after and with a shit load of help from some very good and talented people on this forum ( you all know who you are and you all know I can never thank you all enough) it is the bike it is today…now, I’m actually impressed with it…it’s been sorted tune wise, is now very reliable, handles so much better, sounds amazing and even holds it own on the track as well as the road…I liken mine to more of motard than anything else really. Nimble, quick and loud…yep love hate relationship that leans more towards love these days but at the same time if I came across something else I would not hesitate to sell it. Doesn’t have a place in my heart like my Thruxton does…
Nice to see you back and thanks for the time taken to post.

ftwftr

I started off racing flattrack in the Super Hooligan national series on a Harley. Did that for a few years and even managed to make my way to competing in the X-Games. The Harleys were a close match to the Scouts that Roland was putting out at the time, as long as you had a 1250 kit, cams, and some head work. Once the FTR's and the KTM 890's started competing, the Harley was not a competitive bike anymore. I wanted an FTR but couldn't bring myself to racing and crashing a bike that expensive. Once the series moved to asphalt, I was no longer interested in competing. I still wanted an FTR, but now my focus shifted to a bike that was still "hooligan" but street legal. With my racing days behind me, I wanted something that I could legally ride on the road, but still somewhat looked the part and was fun. The FTR fills that niche for me.

Attachments

• HD.jpg
    HD.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 25
  • HD1.jpg
    HD1.jpg
    963 KB · Views: 23
  • HD2.jpg
    HD2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • Indian.jpg
    Indian.jpg
    803.9 KB · Views: 22

Mlazarus

No interest in racing, the closest I come to that is carving out time for a track day. However, the original appearances of the FTR looked cool and my commute includes highway, back roads, and dirt. I thought the FTR would work for the different surfaces. Test rode one and decided it was not my future commuter bike. I also decided I needed one because the FTR is a unique "muscle bike" that is best described as raucous.

Fuse5

..dont get me wrong.. everybody got its own cases in fun and rides over all , but windshields discuss?

just a link

They never went there (the big one´s`) anyway and the FTR was created for different reasons .
Eat Flies, they were there at the past and hopefully in future ;)

R. Warshawsky

..dont get me wrong.. everybody got its own cases in fun and rides over all , but windshields discuss?

just a link

They never went there (the big one´s`) anyway and the FTR was created for different reasons .
Eat Flies, they were there at the past and hopefully in future ;)
We are all children of the universe, all shapes and sizes...to each their own...

Fer_DK

I had a BMW S1000R. Så had a bike that could turn easy, accelerate like a bat out of hell. But every time I drove I passed 200kmph. Maybe it was time for something a bit more mature at age of 43. But not old enough for a cruiser.
I tried a 2021 FTR and I was in love after a few km. I do not mind the 19” front. Or slim rear 18”. The stock tires are 💩. But the slightly used 2021 FTR I got had Pirelli Scorpion GTS mounted, and they have loads of grip. I do feel the 19” flicking the bike around. But I do not mind.
I got the base model as I do not fancy TFT on my motorcycle. (Or GPS, phone mounts and so on)
I also liked the idea of a basic bike with no traction control or wheelie control (not needed with descent skills and tires) the BMW I had was so smooth in all aspects that it seemed a bit boring with 200kg and 162bhp at the rear wheel. I enjoy the FTR at least the same.
No plans for luggage mounts, phone mounts if speakers :)
I did change the seat cover to one with a better grip on the pillion seat at my daughter kept sliding around.
Only touring accessory for my FTR is a tuturro automatic chainluber. As I am an idiot maintaining my chain. And the oil is so much easier to clean.

mark.lb

I put a deposit “sight unseen” on a black base model FTR in the fall of 2018. When I saw the Akrapovic cans and red frame on the Race Replica compared to the ugly base model exhaust - I upgraded my order. Owners change exhaust systems on their FTRs for many reasons. In my opinion the original low mount Akrapovic cans look better than most of the aftermarket products I’ve seen on FTRs.
TOCE is the undisputed performance exhaust upgrade, but not everyone likes the way it looks.