Why should I get an FTR over, say a Speed 1200 / BMW S1000r?

BT81

Hello good forum people!

I'm on the market for a new bike - Currently on a 765RS (owned x2) / prior to that. Had a Diavel / ZX10 / R1 etc.

My head says. Get a Speed Triple. 180bhp, all the 'toys / quickshifter / blipper / Cruise control etc.
However.....The Indian Carbon edition, whilst being the same price at the Speed / BMW / Superduke for example. And subjectively worse on paper (power / weight / tech).

I can't help wonder. Should I be booking in, if there is a demo available of the FTR? As it would appear. 'More fun'

The reason I wanted a new bike, is I wanted something of a 765RS + if you will. Something that was a faster, looked a bit better etc. However, reading how long geared the hyper naked bikes are. I wonder if you'd have anymore fun on them. And whilst I LOVE the quickshifter on the new bikes. Hmmm. I'm rambling.

Tell me, anyone come from a peaky bike to the FTR and loved it, and importantly why? - Plus, quickshifter. Why indian, why didn't you have one as standard. Is it a deal breaker?

#ConfusedUK

Syco13x

If you can get a demo ride on it, do it! I don't think you will be disappointed. Even if it ends up not being a bike for you, it is still a great experience to ride.

I've learned that much in this last year or so, taking chances to ride most anything that crosses my path. Because you just never know how you feel about it until you experience it. Spec sheets are great, but they don't always paint a picture of the experience of riding.

D

Deleted member 706

Because you can actually use most of its power on the street.

You can fit a healtech QS
For 40+ years I've been saying that there is horsepower and there is usable horsepower.
Just now I'm saying there are dealerships and there are user friendly dealerships. A local car dealer advertises choose your dealer before you choose your car... or bike.

EDIT. Here's some horsepower and some usable horsepower.

Attachments

• IMG_20200917_131009.jpg
    IMG_20200917_131009.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 31
Last edited by a moderator:
I came from and still own a 1983 suzuki GS1100E with a 4 into 1 exh modified carbs and K&N style filters. If you dont know it was a powerful bike in its day. Originally my choice for my first new bike ever was between the Triumph Speed twin 1200, Z900RS Cafe ,Honda CB1000ABS and an FTR1200. Looks and power was very important to me. The Triumph and FTR led the pack there. I do admire the Z900RS but I have a bike that looks like this already. The Honda while looking nice and being a great bike simply does not stand out (same with Yamaha MT09) The Triumph is superb to look at and sitting on one the narrowness was very appealing. But the looks of the FTR and its higher power output than the Triumph made my decision. Not to mention I found locally- in December in west MI a 500 mile used 2019 base for $9000!!! The FTR is a tall bike for me but I love the raised upright riding position. The FTR1200 to me when I crank the throttle reminds of my friends KX500 I rode in the late 1980s. Tall powerful and fun!

Last edited:

R. Warshawsky

The FTR has the best riding position of just about any bike I've seen, great component parts, and is a blast to ride. It is truly unique. If it had a larger fuel tank it would be perfect. For me, I'll settle for really great.

edgelett

For 40+ years I've been saying that there is horsepower and there is usable horsepower.
my dad is of the mentality that he 'needs a litre sports bike' because otherwise he can't ride fast enough.
he is nearly 70, has a broken hip that's been screwed back together, has had 2 heart attacks and is on medication that means he now rides like I did the day I got my L's.
but he 'must' have a litre sports bike.
I keep saying to him 'Dad - the max speed limit in the hills in Adelaide is 80kph. There are a few sections where it's 100kph. There are speed cameras literally everywhere and doing more than 10+kms over the limit is a $500 fine. Why the hell do you need a bike capable of doing 300kph?'
but no - he 'needs' a litre sports bike.
I'm very happy that both my bikes are about torque not top speed.
and they look good too ;)

meanwhile dad on his Kawasaki ZX14 barely gets out of 2nd lol.

Wayne

I have had sport bikes approaching 200 H.P. Super fast but not really that practical or much fun as a street bike. Terribly uncomfortable as well. My FTR is dialed in now and runs fantastic. It has instant torque an horsepower which is what you want on the street. If I were to switch to something more radical it would likely be the Ducati V4 Streetfighter. It would be more comfortable than the Pengale with ridiculous power for a street bike.

If horsepower and quick acceleration bragging rights are important (And they are a factor in many many things- its one reason I chose the FTR over the Z900RS and Triumph Speed twin) then that 180hp triple would have you in nearly the top tier - Although some dork will say "Ducati Penigale V4 is faster." The FTR is alot of fun even at low low speeds. Roll that throttle on and its instant take off. I know those high RPM monsters are fun too but indulging in their meat and potatos portion of their powerband is not as practical on a public road environment as something that has the grunt..

R. Warshawsky

my dad is of the mentality that he 'needs a litre sports bike' because otherwise he can't ride fast enough.
he is nearly 70, has a broken hip that's been screwed back together, has had 2 heart attacks and is on medication that means he now rides like I did the day I got my L's.
but he 'must' have a litre sports bike.
I keep saying to him 'Dad - the max speed limit in the hills in Adelaide is 80kph. There are a few sections where it's 100kph. There are speed cameras literally everywhere and doing more than 10+kms over the limit is a $500 fine. Why the hell do you need a bike capable of doing 300kph?'
but no - he 'needs' a litre sports bike.
I'm very happy that both my bikes are about torque not top speed.
and they look good too ;)

meanwhile dad on his Kawasaki ZX14 barely gets out of 2nd lol.
Well, we old guys have to do things in our own way...good for your dad.

edgelett

Well, we old guys have to do things in our own way...good for your dad.
don't get me wrong, I do admire him for continuing to want to ride. But at the same time his 2 heart attacks and acquired brain injury mean his skills are very diminished to what they used to be. I find it hard to ride with him these days cause I see him crossing double whites around blind corners and worry that I'm about to watch him hit a car. and it's sad because when we first started riding together i'd see him get to a 25kph corner and speed UP to fly around it.
but I'm glad he's happy and enjoying his bike. even if he did buy a sharpie and colour the white stripes on his leathers Kawasaki green (which he says is the best colour in the world lol)

R. Warshawsky

don't get me wrong, I do admire him for continuing to want to ride. But at the same time his 2 heart attacks and acquired brain injury mean his skills are very diminished to what they used to be. I find it hard to ride with him these days cause I see him crossing double whites around blind corners and worry that I'm about to watch him hit a car. and it's sad because when we first started riding together i'd see him get to a 25kph corner and speed UP to fly around it.
but I'm glad he's happy and enjoying his bike. even if he did buy a sharpie and colour the white stripes on his leathers Kawasaki green (which he says is the best colour in the world lol)
I understand, and it's a worry about elderly drivers. I didn't realize there was some mental impairment. We're going through the driving thing with my elderly in-laws and it's a difficult conversation to have. Best of luck.

edgelett

I didn't realize there was some mental impairment.
sadly when he had his first heart attack, the whole being dead until he was revived bit caused irreversible damage to parts of his brain. He has hardly any short term memory, hand/eye coordination isn't the same, balance is off etc. his broken hip was a result of him trying to water ski again after he 'recovered' (he spent nearly 4 months in rehab after his heart attack), suffice to say he couldn't ski lol.
Anyway all good - i'm glad he's still here even though things are different.

R. Warshawsky

sadly when he had his first heart attack, the whole being dead until he was revived bit caused irreversible damage to parts of his brain. He has hardly any short term memory, hand/eye coordination isn't the same, balance is off etc. his broken hip was a result of him trying to water ski again after he 'recovered' (he spent nearly 4 months in rehab after his heart attack), suffice to say he couldn't ski lol.
Anyway all good - i'm glad he's still here even though things are different.
Dang...that's one tough fellow....nice to see your support of him. Well done.

cupcake_mike

I just picked a superduke gt, because my wife wanted us to have a newer touring bike (lol). Its not exactly a hyper, but pretty damn close. Its a lot of fun, very similar to the FTR (obviously, the SDGT would win the top speed wars), but I take the FTR (by myself) all day.

Blue1

I came off a 'busa (that I loved, but can't begin to stretch it's legs in NJ).

The FTR just kills it...easy to use power that still revs past 8k (unlike H-D).

Was just down in WV, and the FTR just slayed Smoke Hole Road, an ultra tight mountain road. Second and third gear is all that's needed to go fast on the FTR, to go 90% of that is relaxed fast and you can then use fourth gear.

Skilled friend on an SV1000S was shifting three times more than I was, and was working it. I was at that relatively laid-back 90%, upright and comfortable and keeping up with no issues.

Riding fast mountain roads, my 'busa just rocked. Everything else, the FTR does very well.

While I'm a pretty big fan of the big Speed Triples, you still need to keep the revs in hand while on tight roads.

My FTR as set-up currently is about 495#.

Swampass

Styling. I like the way the Indian is styled and how it rides. For back road romping, the Speed triple will be hard to beat. I don't particularly think of the FTR as a performance bike. It has performance, but not in the way the Triumph does. I say that because the speed triple has similar power to my KTM 1290 superduke. The FTR hits like the KTM when you first crack it open, but obviously falls short when the revs climb.

The indian is a great looking motorcycle. It's comfortable and seems to be well made. The motor is entertaining. They are also relatively scarce on the road. Those other bikes you've listed in the FTR's price range are A LOT of fun and not really comparable. To me, the FTR is a first gen Vmax with modern brakes, suspension, and ABS.

Swampass

That being said, I would stay away from the BMW. I spend a fair amount of time at the local BMW shop. I have a few riding buddies who have been techs there. None of them ride inline BMWs. I've seen a fair share of them pushed to the back of the shop for warranty work waiting on big items. Items like cams, bearings, engines. lol. Nothing like watching months of your warranty tick away as your bike is sits under a cover waiting for parts.