Why should I get an FTR over, say a Speed 1200 / BMW S1000r?

FTR London

To me, the FTR is a first gen Vmax with modern brakes, suspension, and ABS.
Respectfully disagree. The VMax handled like a tea trolley - and even with its modern spec, the Indian shares little of the savage character of the Max. You had to dismount and coerce/bribe it to go around a corner. The spaghetti like frame was spindlier than Kate Moss's rib cage and the flex induced sinuous slalom-esque speed wobbles and headshake meant that if you weren't used to it, you needed balls like Chuck Yeager to pilot it to its top end - about 150mph. What a motor though - and that Vboost...

26045_109075459109514_8379617_n.jpg26045_109075475776179_6492576_n.jpg26045_109075505776176_7831160_n.jpgIMG_20200831_150611971.jpg

Swampass

I've had 3 Vmaxs in various states of modification. I stand by my statement with one amendment. To me, it's a first generation Vmax with modern brakes, frame, suspension, and ABS.

It sits similarly. The motors make similar power and torque. And while the seat height is widely different on the two models, the overall seating position is pretty similar. I fully acknowedge that these two bikes are coming from two entirely different design standpoints. To the average joe street rider, I think they have more similarities than differences.

FTR London

I've had 3 Vmaxs in various states of modification. I stand by my statement with one amendment. To me, it's a first generation Vmax with modern brakes, frame, suspension, and ABS.

It sits similarly. The motors make similar power and torque. And while the seat height is widely different on the two models, the overall seating position is pretty similar. I fully acknowedge that these two bikes are coming from two entirely different design standpoints. To the average joe street rider, I think they have more similarities than differences.
The ride, feel and characteristics are completely different. Modern brakes, frame, suspension, and ABS (I have mine permanently off) don't alter that. The only thing that they share is a tank under your arse.

A first generation Vmax with modern brakes, frame and suspension?...

maxresdefault.jpg

Max Kool

Sooo, while on the subject of "other bikes" a buddy of mine and me swapped for an hour or so. Yes, that is a "new" 2015 Super Duke 1290 R, a barnfind with 1000 miles only.

Engine wise, they're very similar actually. Throttle response, torque it lays down from low rpms, the way you can ride both very lazy if needed. The FTR is geared a bit shorter than the SDR and as a result not much difference between them. Short shifting between 3500 and 5500 rpm these bikes are a tie. Until you cross the magic rpm line. My FTR pulls seriously hard over 6000 rpm all the way to 8500. So hard you hardly ever use it. The SDR however, pulls even harder, a lot. On public roads there's hardly any room to open it up completely. Power wheelies in 4th once you cross the 8000 marker and supposedly tops out around 180mph... (kinda insane, but also fun).

Chassis wise however, that was a big shock for me. (disclaimer, the SDR was on factory stock setting, my FTR is far from stock). While in faster sweepers the SDR would feel nervous and wag the front and rear a bit, the FTR rides on stainless rails. All ruts and bumps absorbed, so much confidence. When we swapped back all he could say was :"That chassis! It makes you invulnerable!"... And that's how I felt as I got back on my FTR.

The FTR is so much more stable. Of course there's that 19" front wheel, but the FTR is definitely not "slow steering" or pushing the front too much. On twisty roads he's as much on my tail as I am on his.

Anyway, take a test ride before you choose, dry specs may not tell the full story. I'm keeping my FTR. ;)

IMG_1051.jpeg

Last edited:

Snakum

I can help with part of your quest ...

I've owned and loved a Street Triple and have spent a lot of time on newer Speedys, too. I basically bought (and soon totalled :oops: ) an FTR cuz it cured my sportbike jones and I could still ride with my club cuz it's a US v-twin. I loved that thing. However, I am looking at Speed Triples and MT-10s right now, along with a 22 FTR. I am medically retired from my club due to injuries and I still have two US vtwins for when I'm able to ride again, if I go back to the club.

The most awesome bike I've ever owned was a Street Triple. I wish I'd never gotten rid of it. Absolutely loved that thing. I really like the Speed too, but that's a whole lot of HP that I'd never use. If you're considering a 22 Speedy you wanna hit the two Triumph forums and read about the issues with them. They are NOT ready for prime time. Issues with leaky gaskets, radiators over heating, a lot of electrical gremlins. I decided if I went that way it'd be a low mileage '18 or '19. Actually my first choice would be a new '21 or '22 Street R but there are none available near me.

So I'm basically trying to work thru another FTR or used Speed Triple or MT-10. I've ridden the MT a couple of times and really liked it and they are actually available. The others ... not so much.

Good luck. Let us know what you buy.

motocroft

I can help with part of your quest ...

I've owned and loved a Street Triple and have spent a lot of time on newer Speedys, too. I basically bought (and soon totalled :oops: ) an FTR cuz it cured my sportbike jones and I could still ride with my club cuz it's a US v-twin. I loved that thing. However, I am looking at Speed Triples and MT-10s right now, along with a 22 FTR. I am medically retired from my club due to injuries and I still have two US vtwins for when I'm able to ride again, if I go back to the club.

The most awesome bike I've ever owned was a Street Triple. I wish I'd never gotten rid of it. Absolutely loved that thing. I really like the Speed too, but that's a whole lot of HP that I'd never use. If you're considering a 22 Speedy you wanna hit the two Triumph forums and read about the issues with them. They are NOT ready for prime time. Issues with leaky gaskets, radiators over heating, a lot of electrical gremlins. I decided if I went that way it'd be a low mileage '18 or '19. Actually my first choice would be a new '21 or '22 Street R but there are none available near me.

So I'm basically trying to work thru another FTR or used Speed Triple or MT-10. I've ridden the MT a couple of times and really liked it and they are actually available. The others ... not so much.

Good luck. Let us know what you buy.
What about a Tuono?
Sport V-Twin and butt loads of character.
My wish I never sold bike is my Ape.

D

Deleted member 706

To answer your question, how about because you want to.
Test ride, test ride and test ride...

K9F

If you want something a little out of the box? MV Augusta Dragster RR. Beautifully packaged machine with a few nice tricks up it’s sleeve. If you don’t fancy riding it buy one and stick it up on your living room wall as ‘art.’ And yes it comes with 17” Kineo wheels as standard if 17” is your thing?

87B1A63D-94CF-4B09-8BDD-8C4BA6869354.jpeg

motocroft

If you want something a little out of the box? MV Augusta Dragster RR. Beautifully packaged machine with a few nice tricks up it’s sleeve. If you don’t fancy riding it buy one and stick it up on your living room wall as ‘art.’ And yes it comes with 17” Kineo wheels as standard if 17” is your thing?

View attachment 4718
These are very fun and fast bikes - I rode the 800RR (not dragster) at the Australian launch a couple of years ago.
Very much a track bike bias over road bike. Likes to be in the top 3rd of the taco where it sings, below that it's a bit of a pig.
The faster you go on it, the more it makes sense and feels right.

Reactions: K9F

Snakum

The V4 1100RR would DEF be on my list if there was a dealer nearby. They have a pretty decent quality/reliability rep for an Italian.

Last edited:

K9F

You'll never know how close I came a week last Friday to pulling the trigger on an MV. The stalling factor was for the mileage I do each year the SCS clutch service on top of the normal servicing costs made the package somewhat prohibitive from my perspective. The clutch service each time is another £350 in my money. Also the fact I really wanted a Streetfighter/Bronx before committing to the Indian means that if it gets revived I would undoubtedly find myself at another emotional crossroads so decided to wait this one out a while. The Brutale and Dragster have exactly the same engine and frames but for me the Dragster has more appeal.

Lifetime warranty being given with the Brutale and Dragster as well in the deal.

Comfortable as hell to simply sit on and despite the salesman's keenness for me to take their demo out I politely declined. Been back twice since though.

Last edited:

motocroft

You'll never know how close I came a week last Friday to pulling the trigger on an MV. The stalling factor was for the mileage I do each year the SCS clutch service on top of the normal servicing costs made the package somewhat prohibitive from my perspective. The clutch service each time is another £350 in my money. Also the fact I really wanted a Streetfighter/Bronx before committing to the Indian means that if it gets revived I would undoubtedly find myself at another emotional crossroads so decided to wait this one out a while. The Brutale and Dragster have exactly the same engine and frames but for me the Dragster has more appeal.

Lifetime warranty being given with the Brutale and Dragster as well in the deal.

Comfortable as hell to simply sit on and despite the salesman's keenness for me to take their demo out I politely declined. Been back twice since though.
Yes the MV sprag clutch is a clever thing. So clever that it's a major pain point for most owners!
They're determined to make it work and have been persevering with it for the last 6+ years.

Lifetime warranty! WTF?

D

Deleted member 706

@K9F, that was probably a smart move knocking back a test ride. They prey on you as soon as the bike is pointing back to the shop, before you know it the pen comes out...

Breto

Sooo, while on the subject of "other bikes" a buddy of mine and me swapped for an hour or so. Yes, that is a "new" 2015 Super Duke 1290 R, a barnfind with 1000 miles only.

Engine wise, they're very similar actually. Throttle response, torque it lays down from low rpms, the way you can ride both very lazy if needed. The FTR is geared a bit shorter than the SDR and as a result not much difference between them. Short shifting between 3500 and 5500 rpm these bikes are a tie. Until you cross the magic rpm line. My FTR pulls seriously hard over 6000 rpm all the way to 8500. So hard you hardly ever use it. The SDR however, pulls even harder, a lot. On public roads there's hardly any room to open it up completely. Power wheelies in 4th once you cross the 8000 marker and supposedly tops out around 180mph... (kinda insane, but also fun).

Chassis wise however, that was a big shock for me. (disclaimer, the SDR was on factory stock setting, my FTR is far from stock). While in faster sweepers the SDR would feel nervous and wag the front and rear a bit, the FTR rides on stainless rails. All ruts and bumps absorbed, so much confidence. When we swapped back all he could say was :"That chassis! It makes you invulnerable!"... And that's how I felt as I got back on my FTR.

The FTR is so much more stable. Of course there's that 19" front wheel, but the FTR is definitely not "slow steering" or pushing the front too much. On twisty roads he's as much on my tail as I am on his.

Anyway, take a test ride before you choose, dry specs may not tell the full story. I'm keeping my FTR. ;)

View attachment 4524
Funny mate…my best buddy has one and we did the swap thing…he was taken back by the FTR and loved it…me on his 1290?.. well I found it tractor like down low, massive amounts of grunt when you fed it but a shocking torque reaction in right handers…the more I fed it the more I had to push it to the right…just kept wanting to stand up in rights and fall into lefts…and no it had nothing to do with wheel alignment it was all flywheel…any hint of that from your ride Max??

Max Kool

I did not notice that. It tracked straight. Maybe the tires of the one you were riding were a bit chewed up?

Breto

Nah man. Nice pireli tyres. He’s a fastidious owner like me. No was just obvious to me getting off the FTR and into the KTM. Reminded me of my Guzzi. It had a shocking walk to the right off the lights. When I mentioned it to him he agreed. It was something he had experienced but didn’t think much of it. Not sure what year model it is. Has the orange and black tank.

Attachments

• DA6DF7D2-83D2-4319-BB7A-6E9859FE53CD.jpeg
    DA6DF7D2-83D2-4319-BB7A-6E9859FE53CD.jpeg
    533 KB · Views: 6