Anyone use TPMS

FTRUK

Just sat here browsing through the internet (while the English weather does it thing)and came across the tyre preasure monitoring systems.Anybody tried these out ,looks a useful thing to have,I mean the versions that just screw on to valve stem and mount screen on bars.

Max Kool

If these are the ones that screw on top of the valve stem, nope I wouldn’t do it. I have seen valve stems getting damaged by them caused by the forces at higher speeds.

I got a cheap pancake compressor and check them once a week.

kiwi dave

I employ the mechanical tire pressure checkers on all my bikes. Otherwise, every time I would go to check the tire pressure, I would lose some air in the process. Too labor intensive.

Here's where they're available in Australia. Maybe your local automobile shop stocks them too.

FTRUK

• OBEST NIU Motorcycle Tire Pressure Monitoring System Motorbike TPMS USB Power LCD display with 2 External Sensor
  • Was looking at this type of thing (but there are many manufacturers,these were cheapest I could find with decent reviews,the valve stems are metal on the FTR so would be strong enough.Just curious if anyone else uses these, I don’t know any one that uses them on bikes.I have a system on my Jaguar car ,but never crossed my mind on my bike, always seems a pain to check preasure before going out.

Max Kool

I employ the mechanical tire pressure checkers on all my bikes. Otherwise, every time I would go to check the tire pressure, I would lose some air in the process.
At how much pressure loss do they indicate you lost some air? I feel the difference between 30 and 35psi in the front...

kiwi dave

At how much pressure loss do they indicate you lost some air? I feel the difference between 30 and 35psi in the front...

That's the whole point. I don't lose any air with these pressure testers. They're continuously monitoring, so there no action to release any air (after the initial sample).

Max Kool

That’s not my question. What if you slowly lose pressure (not over the valve, but simply by permeation), how much do you need to loose before these mechanical ones show you that?

found it:

When the tyre is correctly inflated, the Tyrechecker is all green. If the tyre pressure drops by 10 - 15% (e.g. 30psi x 10% = 3.0psi) the green indicator is replaced by an amber indicator, giving a warning that the tyre pressure is reducing. If there is a 15 - 25% reduction (e.g. 30psi x 20% = 6psi) in tyre pressure then a red indicator becomes clearly visible, giving a clear warning that the tyre pressure is now dangerously low and needs to be inflated.

and you buy them in the desired psi

Massimo

Just sat here browsing through the internet (while the English weather does it thing)and came across the tyre preasure monitoring systems.Anybody tried these out ,looks a useful thing to have,I mean the versions that just screw on to valve stem and mount screen on bars.
FTR TPMS.jpg

kiwi dave

I had a similar one years ago. It's rather anal and unnecessary to be constantly checking your tire pressure for every moment. Do you ever get to see the road?

In a similar vein, and not trying to hijack this thread, my Indian Chief is the first motorcycle I've owned where the speedometer is mounted on the tank. I never thought too much of it, until I realized that when I'm checking my speed, I'm not looking at the road ahead. Not a good situation to be in.