Gilles shifter fell apart

vibratite this assembly

It comes assembled out of the box, dunno maybe i need to read instructions haven't checked yet but I stupidly assumed it was assembled as needed. I put them on and went riding. Haven't touched anything on them yet.

The nut backed off the bolt mid ride. The nut Gilles uses is not off the shelf hardware store stuff (at a glance I haven't wired/vibratited it yet), be careful. Wire it vibratite it etc.

Attachments

• 2F55B414-BFD4-44C8-8078-EF3AC86BD0A8.jpeg
    2F55B414-BFD4-44C8-8078-EF3AC86BD0A8.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:

edgelett

can't speak for the Gilles ones, but the instructions on the Wunderkind ones tell you to locktite every single screw.

can't speak for the Gilles ones, but the instructions on the Wunderkind ones tell you to locktite every single screw.
I got to the assembly and set it up reassembled it myself yesterday. I over torqued things intentionally, added vibratite, and learned why it happened.

It came assembled and Indian instructions don’t say to torque or loctite.

Loctite was only present mid section of threads, zero contact with the nut. Quality issue with mine for sure.

I bought every Gilles indian colab part except the levers. The instructions are lacking on every single part. Customer service Polaris replaced the bar ends for me due to galling the metal due to poor instructions.

I do prefer the Indian/Gilles collaboration part because the colors work so well and the part has lockouts so you won’t set it up in a way that scrapes your shifters before your feeler pegs.

I can see how Indian doesn’t want the liability of someone setting up the controls in a way that leaning over causes an abrupt unexpected in a full lean shift just due to shifter peg hitting the ground first.

The control set mounting bracket and oem shifter linkage and arm are a lockout on OEM to prevent this as well. The nut will hit the bracket on downshifts before it will let you adjust the oem shifter peg below the scraper peg. This way nobody adjusts it so poorly that the shifter can hit a reflector or the road in a full lean/loaded suspension/down shifting. Indian plays it pretty safe because people don’t realize adjusting foot controls can cause unintentional shifting from leaning.

Attachments

• F8290251-CB55-4049-AC42-0888FA75B0C9.png
    F8290251-CB55-4049-AC42-0888FA75B0C9.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 16
  • 0D7BC8ED-C4A4-44DC-A57C-E238907227CD.jpeg
    0D7BC8ED-C4A4-44DC-A57C-E238907227CD.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Also. The indexing pins for the peg orientation do vary, top to bottom asymmetrical indexing on centered axis.

Using the indexing pin in the top will offer a varying degree to using indexing pin in the bottom.

I found this important when indexing the pegs in a 180 degree rotated orientation to achieve rearward sets. My knees don’t like to fold that much as stock/forward/mid, making new pants just for the FTR in fact with external knee pads that don’t bend with the pants.

I put about 10k a year on my FTR is why knees bother me on 300-500 mile days for day after day on longer trips. It would be fine if I didn’t force the issue and used my touring bike more often.

Last edited: