Loss of Oil - No warning light

Jagged11

While out riding I sprung a pin hole leak in my oil filter. it was enough to cause the bike to immediately spit out oil form the motorcycle until it stalled minutes later. Notably at no point did I have any warning lights or diagnostic messages.
I would expect the sudden loss in oil pressure to have activated the oil pressure switch and a warning light - but I did not have a single diagnostic. message.

Dealer tech says the switch is fine - but I am still skeptical. It would be a major engineering oversight if our bikes never issue a warning after an oil leak.

So question for you guys out here, has anyone had a low oil indication for any reason, perhaps while performing an oil change?

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Yes the oil light flickers till there is enough pressure. Depending on where the oil switch is it could have kept seeing pressure till the last min.

NeopolitanShake

I had an incident on the highway where I was leaking oil. Got the oil icon indicator and pulled over to find a gouge in my oil filter. Luckily I pulled over in time cuz my rear tire was coated in oil

I stopped by the Indian dealer to pick up the oil/filter and ask the mechanic there some questions. IIRC they said the oil wouldn't immediately evacuate while operating. I'm assuming because my gouge was a lot big than your pinhole leak, I got the indication sooner than yours.

Jagged11

Thanks for the info, I am slightly less concerned. Fortunately the bike is running well now after fresh oil and a new filter.
I have learned by lesson, I have a skid plate coming in the mail.