Need Replacement Tires

EllenGtrGrl

Well, I gutted out the the stock Dunlops on my FTR1200, but it's that time (especially for the back tire) - the tires need to go bye-bye, and new ones need to but put on my FTR. I know there are a ton of threads on replacement tires for the FTR1200, but a lot of the threads are older, and I'd also like to know any new information (along with what was previously known) about tire replacements (front and back). I've kept the 19 inch wheel on the front (which of course limits tire choices). I don't need full blown trackday oriented tires (sport touring is fine, as are the dirt/street dual purpose tires like the current FTR Rallys have on them). Since I have the misfortune of occasionally getting caught in rain on occasion during my commutes home from work, I also need decent rain performance.

Oh, and here's the kicker - due to me having major dental work starting this month (a Dental Implant - not cheap, this'll be #4 for me [my mom says I inherited my dad's bad teeth]), if I can do it at a low cost so much the better - otherwise my FTR is going to stay out of commission for an extended amount of time, due to my teeth taking priority over my motorcycle.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Nope, nothing new since all those older threads.

Switching to a 160/60 rear size widens your options.

EllenGtrGrl

Nope, nothing new since all those older threads.

Switching to a 160/60 rear size widens your options.
Is it a hassle to have 160/60 installed (I know the stock tire has a narrower cross section)? Also what do you recommend? I'm trying get an idea cost-wise for replacing my tires.

Staedtler

I run Avon Spirit ST's on my 19 with the 160 tyre, no issues for fitting and really good in the wet.

edgelett

Is it a hassle to have 160/60 installed (I know the stock tire has a narrower cross section)? Also what do you recommend? I'm trying get an idea cost-wise for replacing my tires.
my dealer had no issue with fitting the wider tyre, i have Continental Road Attack 3's on at the moment but these are now impossible to find in Australia so I'm getting Bridgestone T32's. Ive got no idea how much they cost in the US sorry.
they're a sport tourer so better if you're commuting a lot on your FTR

EllenGtrGrl

my dealer had no issue with fitting the wider tyre, i have Continental Road Attack 3's on at the moment but these are now impossible to find in Australia so I'm getting Bridgestone T32's. Ive got no idea how much they cost in the US sorry.
they're a sport tourer so better if you're commuting a lot on your FTR
I run Avon Spirit ST's on my 19 with the 160 tyre, no issues for fitting and really good in the wet.

Thanks for the suggestions. :)