Upright nakeds are what's hot- New Honda

Our FTRs are considered an upright naked. The upright riding position, light weight (well maybe not with the FTR) and instant punchy low end power is what makes this class of bike so fun and desirable. In fact the big four Japanese are focusing less on high RPM inline 4 sport bikes. Going forward the parallel twin powered upright bikes are what is their focus- the twin cyl engine is cheaper to produce and from the same platform an adventure bike, upright naked and even a sport bike can be made by the shared platform. Honda has entered this market with its redone Hornet. 750cc twin making 90 hp. Reports coming in place the pricing about where the Yamaha MT07 is. This is significant. Honda- while known for amazing build quality is also known for pricing its bikes too damn high. Not only does this 750 twin make 20 more HP than its class competition but will apparently be priced the same. The looks are not for me- actually I think the MT-07 looks great. Much better than its big brothers the MT=09 and MT-10. But here is the Honda. https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/20...750-hornet-first-look-9-fast-facts-30-photos/

edgelett

ah yes the new Hornet 750.
I own an original 1998 Honda Hornet 600, I've owned it since 2005 and although I bought an FTR in 2019 I STILL own my Hornet and love it.
Suffice to say the new Hornet created a fair bit of conversation on the Hornet FB groups I belong to.
Those who own the OG model generally absolutely hate it.
they are sprouting the 'it's not a Hornet if it's not an inline 4' comment, cause that's the engine model the Hornet has had for a long time.
most think that it's an ok bike but it should have been called something else rather than using the Hornet name.

From my perspective - I get why they are going to a parallel twin but it's a shame it's not an inline 4. Having an engine that red lines at 14,000 rpm is pretty cool.
But - this Hornet's twin has a 270 degree crank so its' going to be pretty torquey and still rev reasonably high.
expect to see that power plant in other bikes in the future too (translap....)

Looks wise - there's not a lot in common with the older Hornets. The round lights and smooth curves of the tank are gone and it's very angular looking.
isn't too disimilar to a Grom in appearance so you can tell it's a Honda but it also looks like every other european naked out there. lots of points.
I REALLY don't like the side panels at the front of the tank. I recon if they were gone, it would look better.
the weight is good (mine is lighter) and the HP is pretty good so it will be nimble in the corners.

they're offering lots of options you can add on when you buy it including a luggage option and quickshifter.
the 3 riding modes (rain, standard sport) plus a user map are pretty cool.
surprised they didn't add cruise control though.

Do I want one? nope. I love my FTR and my original Hornet and I will never sell it unless it's a complete wreck.
But I know a LOT of people who are very interested in it, and I expect it will sell very well in Europe especially which is where the Hornet was traditionally very popular.
I mean in the UK they used to have a specific race category for it - the Hornet Cup.

We don't even know if it will be sold outside of Europe yet but if it does, it will be quite cheap.
Outside the US, people aren't as fussed about having a 1000cc or more bike.

Oh by the way this is my baby, the Hornbag as I call her.
1665269248489.png

edglett that's a nice looking bike. I too like the high RPM rush of an inline 4. I recently sold my 1983 Suzuki GS100E. It had a Vance and Hines 4 into 1, APE pods with dynojet kits in each carb. Pure inline 4 air/oil cooled bliss!!!!
I like to stay somewhat current on new bikes even though I will not be making any purchases. Harley Davidson is not the only manufacturer that needs to re assemble and present affordable bikes to a younger demographic whom has very limited income. (HD is actually in a little trouble where the big 4 Japanese are not.)
Our Indian FTRs have the looks and power delivery that is attractive to riders older as well as younger. (I'm 53.) Unfortunately the price of the FTR is too expensive for many- mainly the younger rider. That's where the 700 class comes in. Suzuki SV, Yamaha MT Kawasaki Z and now the Hornet 750. Only the MT-07 has looks I like out of those 4 bikes but the youngsters like the preying mantis - transformer look of the modern bikes. In the 700 class of bikes I just mentioned the new Honda makes so much more power than the others its astonishing. What will be interesting is to see what Honda and the others will come up with for BIGGER 1100cc plus upright nakeds. If Honda can make 90hp at the wheel from a 755cc P twin I'm very curious to see what a 1000 plus cc P twin can make.
When I was getting ready to buy my first ever brand new bike I was looking at the Triumph Speed Twin, Kawasaki Z900RS, Indian FTR1200 and a distant 4th the Yamaha MT-09. Triumph felt really good sitting on it. Narrow at the tank base, traditional speedometer and tachometer, chrome plated steel in the right doses and a black and aluminum engine that is a work of art. The Z900RS was the Green Cafe version and the price out the door for the new 2019 model was under $8,800! It too had a wonderful looking engine as well as all around a great looking bike. The MT-09 was easy to eliminate. Great triple cyl power but I didn't like the looks and the short wheelbase is too wheelie prone -just not my thing. The FTR really stood out with its one of a kind looks. Having the most power out of all the bikes I mentioned really sealed the deal.
Harley Davidson caused a stir with the Bronx upright naked presentations. Many are disappointed they made the Pan America and not the Bronkx. Many are hoping HD makes a 1250cc Bronx with the full 150 plus hp of the Pan America. It would be an incredibly expensive bike but competition makes all the participants make better products.

FTR London

I mean in the UK they used to have a specific race category for it - the Hornet Cup.
That they did. New Era ran it as I recall, with Bridgestone sponsoring it. Dennis Hobbs won it one year and later went on to BSB and a couple of WSB rides.

One of the maddest series we ever had in the UK was the 350LC Pro Am racing cup which thankfully took lunatics such as Mackenzie, Whitham and McElnea off the public roads and onto a race circuit.

You're absolutely right about the Hornet though, very popular in the UK along with the 600 Bandit during the late 90s and early to mid 00s. Affordable, good handling, mega-reliable motors with plenty of power.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 706

I had a Hornet once, which was once the fastest production motorcycle in the world.
It was a 1966 BSA... 🤐🙄

Walrus

FTR only expensive in full-zoot trim. Base model is very affordable - and works just as good.
I love twins and lament the demise of two-pot racers.
As a matter of choice, will take twins over inline or V-fours any time.
But there was an era when the new fours were objects of my lust. These days I prefer not to row the gear lever to stay in the power band.