1200 Miles, Dallas TX to Daytona Beach, FL

Man my butt is sore. But 1200 miles down on my 2019 FTR1200 Base. It’s been fun. Went up with my Father on his Street Glide..

Attachments

• 41FC9F19-6DFE-4B33-955F-C2BE938F41CD.jpeg
    41FC9F19-6DFE-4B33-955F-C2BE938F41CD.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 38
  • B992EF28-9A4C-4AC7-8C7B-4FA80CC9274D.jpeg
    B992EF28-9A4C-4AC7-8C7B-4FA80CC9274D.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 34
  • D48B8681-80C6-4009-9A7E-1394E8FC4A86.jpeg
    D48B8681-80C6-4009-9A7E-1394E8FC4A86.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 32
  • 24A8C744-F6AB-4832-A8B9-A66803F3AFAB.jpeg
    24A8C744-F6AB-4832-A8B9-A66803F3AFAB.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 27
  • 312AA810-6267-419E-82B2-346E7924D937.jpeg
    312AA810-6267-419E-82B2-346E7924D937.jpeg
    378.7 KB · Views: 28
  • A40C9164-DA84-4C35-9D44-BF84FFFCDD33.jpeg
    A40C9164-DA84-4C35-9D44-BF84FFFCDD33.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 27
  • E632706B-A7A8-44BB-BA67-A8A8E2B788C6.jpeg
    E632706B-A7A8-44BB-BA67-A8A8E2B788C6.jpeg
    286.8 KB · Views: 33
I'm back boys... 2400 miles later haha. I actually rode this thing 2400 miles in 5-6 days. Don't judge me, my booty was hurting so I stopped by a Harley Dealer on the way home and got a generic HD air-bag style seat cushion lol.

Attachments

• Bike1.jpg
    Bike1.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 17
  • Bike2.jpg
    Bike2.jpg
    607.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Bike4.jpg
    Bike4.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 16

mark.lb

Nice Ride my friend. I would never even think about 2400 on my FTR in under a week. You get the mark.lb unofficial Iron Butt award...!

Last edited:

K9F

Don't judge me, my booty was hurting so I stopped by a Harley Dealer on the way home and got a generic HD air-bag style seat cushion lol.

Well done! No judgement whatsoever from me. On longer haul trips of anything more than 300 miles I would never be without my Airhawk.

seat3.jpg

Reactions: Raj
Well done! No judgement whatsoever from me. On longer haul trips of anything more than 300 miles I would never be without my Airhawk.

View attachment 2938
Dang okay that's almost exactly like the seat I got! It's basically got a hand pump on the left side to put more/less air in. But honestly it made a huge difference.

Attachments

• Bike_Seat.jpg
    Bike_Seat.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 16

Timps27

I just did 800 in 3 days on mine, my tailbone was for sure my biggest complaint! Wind was probably my second, although day 3 I was interstate running as quick as I could to get home which didn’t help.

I just did 800 in 3 days on mine, my tailbone was for sure my biggest complaint! Wind was probably my second, although day 3 I was interstate running as quick as I could to get home which didn’t help.
Heck yeah dude. I'm telling you look into the Air-Bag self inflatable cushions they're actually amazing. Not much ANYTHING can do for 600 mile days but for few 200 mile rides that'd make it like NOTHING.

Proud of you tho it's a beast. You should have seen how fast we came through Dallas hahaha. My house is literally on the North Side near Plano area and by the time we saw the Dallas County sign it was kickin' into HIGH gear to get back ha.

After this trip I almost want to drop a tooth in the front; or maybe it'd be easier to drop 2 in the rear. But hell doing 75-85 I was sitting around 4400-4550 RPM the entire trip.

Timps27

I will look into it, the nice thing is with a solution like that I could use it on my Tiger as well, I haven’t been able to get an IronButt completed on him yet, something like that wouldn’t hurt to have along.

On a side note, as I was cruising through IA on my way back home I ran across J&P, I’ve ordered from them before, had no idea where they were but when I saw a sign that said “J&P next right” I had to stop. Pardon the wavy columns, my first version of quadlock didn’t have the vibe damper so my iPhone camera got jacked :)

B0A0CF6F-1255-4338-AAE9-FA65744E6D75.jpeg

Is THAT what that is?! I wasn't sure why my iPhone suddenly "Wavy-Waves" like crazy when I first pull up my phone... so now it's stuck like that I"m guessing lol? It stops after 1-2 seconds. Damnit.

cupcake_mike

Heck yeah dude. I'm telling you look into the Air-Bag self inflatable cushions they're actually amazing. Not much ANYTHING can do for 600 mile days but for few 200 mile rides that'd make it like NOTHING.

Proud of you tho it's a beast. You should have seen how fast we came through Dallas hahaha. My house is literally on the North Side near Plano area and by the time we saw the Dallas County sign it was kickin' into HIGH gear to get back ha.

After this trip I almost want to drop a tooth in the front; or maybe it'd be easier to drop 2 in the rear. But hell doing 75-85 I was sitting around 4400-4550 RPM the entire trip.

The bike is happiest at 4-6k. Its not a HD with a 6k redline, don't forget. I cruise at 5-5.5k on mine. If I am not doing 85, I don't even shift into 6th.

If anything, go smaller in the rear, going smaller in the front can accelerate chain wear.

cupcake_mike

I will look into it, the nice thing is with a solution like that I could use it on my Tiger as well, I haven’t been able to get an IronButt completed on him yet, something like that wouldn’t hurt to have along.

On a side note, as I was cruising through IA on my way back home I ran across J&P, I’ve ordered from them before, had no idea where they were but when I saw a sign that said “J&P next right” I had to stop. Pardon the wavy columns, my first version of quadlock didn’t have the vibe damper so my iPhone camera got jacked :)

View attachment 2944

Did you go to the national motorcycle museum? It was started by the late founder of J&P. Its right near there...

The bike is happiest at 4-6k. Its not a HD with a 6k redline, don't forget. I cruise at 5-5.5k on mine. If I am not doing 85, I don't even shift into 6th.

If anything, go smaller in the rear, going smaller in the front can accelerate chain wear.
Man you're absoultely right. It's really hard to get out of my head the lower revving bikes I've had in the past. Seeing it cruising at 4500 RPM made me nervous but that's really good to know dude.

Can highly recommend the Airhawk Dual Sport.

AIRHAWK Dual Sport | Airhawk

Me I'm currently in negotiation for a Corbin Gunfighter for the FTR hopefully?
Good lord I wish I would've known that before I spent literally DOUBLE that on a generic HD fucking air bag seat just like that but it was weirdly sized for the Indian FTR obviously.

Crap... well next time I know better. But the next change to my seat with be either a Saddlemen, or hopefully a Corbin if you can get them to make that happen.

Charliemurphay

Good lord I wish I would've known that before I spent literally DOUBLE that on a generic HD fucking air bag seat just like that but it was weirdly sized for the Indian FTR obviously.

Crap... well next time I know better. But the next change to my seat with be either a Saddlemen, or hopefully a Corbin if you can get them to make that happen.
I haven’t been super far on my saddlemen, only about an hour, but it feels much more supportive and comfortable than the stock seat even though it is firmer.

Timps27

Did you go to the national motorcycle museum? It was started by the late founder of J&P. Its right near there...

I stopped by but knowing I had to work the next day and was on a time crunch I could not give it the time it deserved. I ride through IA a lot and now that I know where it is you can bet dollars to doughnuts I’ll be back!

K9F

..............Pardon the wavy columns, my first version of quadlock didn’t have the vibe damper so my iPhone camera got jacked :)

That is quite some effect. I bought two Quadlocks, one for each bike then read about the issue with the vibration potentially eating cameras and bought two anti-vib mountings before I would use the Quadlock. Glad I did now.

IMG_1190.jpg

I understand fully, my tail bone numbs after 200 miles on the OEM seat and makes for an uncomfortable ride thereon on longer haul trips hence my investment in the Airhawk.

The mark up on a Corbin is horrendous over here about 80% last time I looked. Nevertheless if you add customs duty, VAT at 20% plus shipping to the USA price to here the price certainly does rapidly stack up. Ironically the European Outlet for Corbin is in my home town run by a guy called Mark Brattistini (of the customized Harley-Davidson ilk) whom I spoke to in detail. A pallet of seats shipped to the UK used to cost $800, because of the demand, limited flights and Covid this has now soared to $2500 which has to be naturally passed on to the customer. Whilst the price is still quite high and I am a key-worker that afforded me a 10% discount straight off with Corbin Europe a deal was struck whereupon it is certainly more easily digestible than the 80% mark up I would have had to swallow. I was going to get my original seat reworked but now we are heading out of lock-down and riding season has effectively commenced I don't want to be without a seat or journey the hour and a half back and forth to the upholsterers to get it right. The deal is done. From what I have read, both Saddlemen and Corbin need I believe quite a break-in period to feel fully at home?

Last edited:

Timps27

Yep, I have your exact setup now @K9F , I added the red lever when I got a vibe damper, figure the blue one will go better on my Tiger!

JDP

I rode my FTR from Annapolis Maryland to Denver Colorado and back just about 3400 miles I know it was 1701 miles going out and I didn’t check coming back last summer and I’m 64 years OLD the only thing was getting gas when I didn’t want to but thought I better, such a small tank, I’m going to Utah in May but think I’m riding my Valkyrie interstate this time give my old worn out body a treat, oh yeah strapping luggage on was a pain too