2019 FTR cluster delamination, bubbling, screen failure

Hi,

Mine went bad last year around mile 14,000. I park in garage etc.

So, they replaced the cluster good faith or whatever its called. He told me a couple things about the cluster. The dealership price is half of our price, $540 or so. Also, the manufacturer paid the "dealers price" to my dealership, then I had to pay labor cost which was 2 hours book, $240 or so. Maybe he billed me 1.5 hours I've already forgotten but book was 2 hours. He also told me the 2019 FTR's store their mileage on the cluster, NO WHERE in the ECU, and finally there is no way to set new cluster to my correct mileage (i don't care). I specified not to hook anything up to my FTR because I didn't want a diagnostic computer resetting my lloyd's v6 bench tune.

All in all, pretty much sucked because I didn't get it done free due to it taking a while to fail. Also sucked that my dealer didn't do either recall while it was in for service twice for its first two oil changes/services and tires (I take my bikes in for service while they're still under warranty). However, at least I got a better cluster not just another failure prone replacement with a screen protector on it (the screen protectors they install lose their UV blocking ability after so many hours in the sun)

Oh finally, I'm making a little soft cushy cover for my cluster so it won't ever get hot in the sun or exposed to hot sun while parked. No idea if this is a UV issue, heat issue, water issue, vibration issue, all of the above combined etc. I bought the FTR a couple grand cheaper as a left over that was sitting since 2019 and the warranty started in 2021. That's why I'm just now finding out about the 2019 cluster issues.

Last edited:

edgelett

He also told me the 2019 FTR's store their mileage on the cluster, NO WHERE in the ECU, and finally there is no way to set new cluster to my correct mileage (i don't care).
well the first bit is correct, but there absolutely IS a way to set the mileage in your new cluster. it's a shame they didn't do so because now you've ridden it, you can't.
They set it up using Digital Wrench and it has to be done while the new cluster has 0 miles on it. as soon as it has even 1 mile, they can't do it.
Hopefully they gave you a print out of the miles on your previous cluster so you know where it's true mileage is.

also there was no recall on the screen at all - simply a product update where they put a screen protector on it.

sorry this happened to you but hopefully it won't happen again.

well the first bit is correct, but there absolutely IS a way to set the mileage in your new cluster. it's a shame they didn't do so because now you've ridden it, you can't.
They set it up using Digital Wrench and it has to be done while the new cluster has 0 miles on it. as soon as it has even 1 mile, they can't do it.
Hopefully they gave you a print out of the miles on your previous cluster so you know where it's true mileage is.

also there was no recall on the screen at all - simply a product update where they put a screen protector on it.

sorry this happened to you but hopefully it won't happen again.
I see. THAT makes more sense. Glad to hear ya'll figured out the correct way to set the mileage. Yes I have a print out and that's all I have besides the potential hypothetical buyer calling and asking the dealership. I'm probably just putting a traction control button on the bike and replacing the cluster with my navi anyway. Its kinda ugly having two clusters and the FTR doesn't need its cluster for much of anything besides speedo and modes. Zumo XT > OEM cluster anyway. If I ever get done with my other 3 bike projects I'll delete this cluster w/zumo + mode switch (if someone makes a mode switch for FTR). If not, oh well its my good weather bike anyway.

GPS isn't optional for me. I'm literally never home and rarely in the same place twice.

Side note, the ZUMO is mountable at any height higher lower pivots sideways diagonal upside down backwards etc. Its a far superior solution that goes UP for touring, down for sporting, etc thanks to the way RAM ball mount type bar clamps work on protapers. Also, GPS speedo is more accurate (but sometimes lags a second or so, since GPS is accurate within about 3 foot on this ZUMO in sideways satellite connections when there's patches in the sky missing, not rly worried about my speed being off 3-6 feet of travel)

The XT2 even does the rider buddy location sharing thing too, kinda neat.

Last edited: