Awful grinding from transmission when shifting into 2nd at high RPM

Rhedogian

I bought a 2019 1200 S recently secondhand and it's been running pretty well, but one thing I've noticed is that when I'm doing a heavy throttle start (like launching from a stoplight), when I go to switch to 2nd gear at around 5k+ RPM I get a really bad grinding feeling from the shift lever. If the RPM's are high enough, by the time I cut throttle and pull in the clutch lever to shift, the grinding is so bad that the bike actually refuses to switch into 2nd and only manages to get into neutral instead. It feels like the shift lever is grinding against a pawl or something and refusing to 'enter' gear. The only way I've found to get around this is to wait for RPM's to drop before shifting to 2nd, but on a launch that takes a relatively long time and doesn't seem like a step I should need to take.

Normally I wouldn't mind this and would dismiss it as a quirk of the motorcycle, but 1. sometimes the grinding is physically painful on my toes, and 2. it makes hard launches more or less impossible because I can't hit high RPM's on first gear.

Is there something mechanically wrong with my transmission/clutch? Is this just something normal that I'm too noob to understand? Do I need to adjust something? Any help is appreciated

Thanks!

Last edited:

R. Warshawsky

I would check for metal particles when you do your next oil change. Although some folks experience a different sensation going from 1st to 2nd, this seems odd to me. Best of luck.

Rhedogian

Update on this in case anyone on the interwebs runs into a similar issue - I did an oil change to attempt to remedy the problem. There are only 3k miles on the bike (out of the 10k oil lifespan) but it was way overdue for an oil change since it should also be changed every 12 months. Thankfully I didn't see any glitter in the oil or the oil filter so that was a huge weight off my chest. No burning smell or any other weird things I noticed about the used oil either. I'm going to send a sample off to Blackstone to see what they might have to say.

The grinding hasn't gone away entirely, but it's a lot more manageable now. I've also noticed that the problem only shows itself when the bike gets up to operating temperature. When it's cold/getting warmed up, it shifts super well. When it's hot, the grinding comes back. And again, it's only a problem going from first to second.

My local Indian dealer is less than helpful in general I've found. I'm thinking of contacting Indian directly to ask about this and explain what I've noticed.

Last edited:

2021C8

Rhedogian,
Have had a similar issue with my 2022 carbon, more of a clunk than a grinding though. Found if I preloaded the shift lever ever so slightly before making the actual shift the issue I was experiencing disappeared. Have since adjusted the shifting linkage so that my normal riding position (foot) is so near the pre-load point if I just think about up shifting my toe is pre-loading and no longer have to consciously remember to do so. Not sure if this could help with your problem or not.

MacBayne

The shift linkage has been mentioned here, but not as a potential culprit. I would check that. If the shifter foot isn't close to a 90 degree to the shaft, you may be getting incomplete movement. Distance 1st to second is greater than the rest of the gears. Doesn't have to be perfect, but the two indicator dots should be close.

Rhedogian

The shift linkage has been mentioned here, but not as a potential culprit. I would check that. If the shifter foot isn't close to a 90 degree to the shaft, you may be getting incomplete movement. Distance 1st to second is greater than the rest of the gears. Doesn't have to be perfect, but the two indicator dots should be close.
Which two indicator dots? I can fiddle around with this. Assuming you mean the clutch pedal angle adjuster (with the two 10mm jam nuts on it)

Rhedogian

Update: I messed with the shift lever position last night and today I got a CEL with the code that the gear selector sensor is malfunctioning. Seems to be working okay to me, but maybe the issue I've been having in this thread is related.

Will finally take it to the dealer probably next week to see if they can pin it down.

ftwftr

Interested to see what you find out. My 2019 1200S is very notchy when shifting from 1st to 2nd and if i'm not diligent in my upshift, I end up in neutral or it wants to clunk/grind into 2nd. This is with the clutch fully pulled in, and I don't run any slack in my clutch cable. Doesn't matter what rpm the engine is at when I shift. Bike only has 2500 miles on it and I seemed to have noticed it in the last 300 miles. I have the GSXR shift arm on order to see if that will help any, but I'm not hopeful. Changed oil recently to see if that would make any difference and as expected it didn't.

Rhedogian

Interested to see what you find out. My 2019 1200S is very notchy when shifting from 1st to 2nd and if i'm not diligent in my upshift, I end up in neutral or it wants to clunk/grind into 2nd. This is with the clutch fully pulled in, and I don't run any slack in my clutch cable. Doesn't matter what rpm the engine is at when I shift. Bike only has 2500 miles on it and I seemed to have noticed it in the last 300 miles. I have the GSXR shift arm on order to see if that will help any, but I'm not hopeful. Changed oil recently to see if that would make any difference and as expected it didn't.
Nice to see I'm not the only one. Cool, I'll keep updating here as I find things out. Sending off the oil sample tomorrow

johnnynice

I'm having the same problem. Will often just grind and go to neutral. Happens to a smaller degree when going from second to first. I'll get the dealer to check it before the warranty is up this August

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member

Rhedogian

I'm having the same problem. Will often just grind and go to neutral. Happens to a smaller degree when going from second to first. I'll get the dealer to check it before the warranty is up this August
Please update the thread with what they say!!

ftwftr

Just wanted to update this thread. I put on the GSXR shift arm and it made a considerable difference. Shifting is still a little clunky from 1st to 2nd, but I haven't hit neutral on accident or had a grinding shift since putting it on. Highly recommend this item to clean up shifts, and just make them feel more positive.

ng3FUMf4vCM3YgW

This is a big help for making quicker and more precise gear changes

Big +1 on this. I put this on yesterday and it made a noticeable improvement in the shifting.