Bike Wont Start-

MotoJedi

I turn the key and press the ignition button, the TFT display turns on, lights flicker and there is a knocking sound. Bike won't turn. Any have this issue before? Of course I'll call the dealer tomorrow. Hopefully Indian has roadside assistance that I can use. Bummer.

Unruly Rider

I turn the key and press the ignition button, the TFT display turns on, lights flicker and there is a knocking sound. Bike won't turn. Any have this issue before? Of course I'll call the dealer tomorrow. Hopefully Indian has roadside assistance that I can use. Bummer.
Sounds like another battery without enough cranking amps left in her to turn the bike over... should be covered under the warranty.

K9F

Unruly is correct.

^^+1. Charge it, try again, get a warranty replacement and buy a tender.

K9F

Agree. Every battery has a D.o.M don't suppose you know when yours was? Could be it stood either on a shelf or fitted on the shop floor for quite a while without maintenance? Don't think you'll ever know for sure?

MotoJedi

Agree. Every battery has a D.o.M don't suppose you know when yours was? Could be it stood either on a shelf or fitted on the shop floor for quite a while without maintenance? Don't think you'll ever know for sure?

Service said, "we tested your battery and it was defective, it would not hold the charge". They gave me a new one. Ok, here is the craziness. I swear I am not being delusional. But on my 40 miles ride back to my house...the bike ran smoother..no power surges...just ran smooth. Smoothest in the last week since I've been an owner. Weird right?

She's back though! Man, I love this bike. I really do.
IMG_0625.JPG

Last edited:

Unruly Rider

Service said, "we tested your battery and it was defective, it would not hold the charge". They gave me a new one. Ok, not here is the craziness. I sear I am not being delusional. But on my 40 miles ride back to my house...the bike ran smoother..no power surges...just ran smooth. Smoothest in the last week since I've been an owner. Weird right?

She's back though! Man, I love this bike. I really do.
View attachment 1120
If you look into some of the posts made here in the last 6 months, this really doesn't surprise me. Many people have had batteries crap out on them with their brand new FTR's, just like you had happen. I'm pretty sure they had a batch of shelved batteries that should have never found their way into the bikes. I know of three local owners that all had to get their batteries replaced under warranty in the first month, one of them keeps his bike on a tender when he's not riding. I guess we should be glad that they used dated batteries vs dated tires, haha!

MotoJedi

If you look into some of the posts made here in the last 6 months, this really doesn't surprise me. Many people have had batteries crap out on them with their brand new FTR's, just like you had happen. I'm pretty sure they had a batch of shelved batteries that should have never found their way into the bikes. I know of three local owners that all had to get their batteries replaced under warranty in the first month, one of them keeps his bike on a tender when he's not riding. I guess we should be glad that they used dated batteries vs dated tires, haha!

Absolutely! Again, its a new bike and model... I bought this expecting some gremlins. Glad I wasn't stranded far home...and that I found the issue before I wanted to ride in my own garage. It could always be worse.

K9F

You need to ride it more, there's a girt big weed growing round the throttle, or so it gave me the illusion of when looking at the photo. :cool::LOL: