Bolt and Fastener Corrosion

cheekykevUK

I don't wish to be rude, but think you're missing the point here.
The point is it shouldn't be happening, it doesn't happen on Jap bikes, unless you neglect them of course.
Indian should be held responsible for putting these rubbish parts on the bike in the first place.
There is no way I would expect the fixings, and some parts to corrode within a few months, when the only contact its had with water is when it was washed, and once only.
Believe me, I know how to look after motorcycles, I have few that are 20 years old, they don't just sit in a garage, they're used, and there is no sign of corrosion anywhere on them.
Why should we have to find a solution to their failings, and at our expense, the plating on these parts is sub standard.
To be honest this has really put me off Indian as a company.
Such a pity because apart from this, and the fact it keeps stalling on the approach to roundabouts and junction, I quite enjoy the bike, and it does look stunning.

K9F

I don't wish to be rude, but think you're missing the point here.
The point is it shouldn't be happening, it doesn't happen on Jap bikes, unless you neglect them of course.
Indian should be held responsible for putting these rubbish parts on the bike in the first place........

No worries, but my point was my bike is not suffering with the same degradation and I am unable to jump on the same bandwagon. Why do you think that could be when the bike has been washed several times and ridden in the Winter and in rain of biblical proportions on my trip to and from Germany last September?
20 years ago the emphasis wasn’t so concentrated on cost cutting and weight saving with inferior parts. You state your other bikes are ‘used‘ what about the FTR?
Be interested to know when your bike was purchased last November the riding history since and storage environment? These are questions you may be asked to mitigate your case? They also have important parts to play. Bikes nowadays need more attention to detail and protection to keep them in tip top ship shape!

mark.lb

In western PA we use a lot of rock salt on the roads in winter. Wet salty road grime gets everywhere, even if you wash it off after riding. I think it accelerated the pitting on my zinc coated bolts. They are not horrible but I am a “keeper” when it comes to bikes. My other ride is 43 years old. I bought it new at 18yrs. I think the stainless will not only look better now but will hold up better as the years pass. These bolts are only for case covers With very low torque specs. I am not too concerned about one corroding and freezing in the case. Last year I had no trouble removing and reinstalling the metric case bolts on my 43 yr old bike when I replaced the clutch.

mark.lb

I will be showing some of my old hardware to the dealer and lodge a complaint. I was so excited when I purchased my bike I never gave any consideration to the fasteners. As I said I am not happy about it but I doubt Indian will make any changes on owners bikes now.

Reactions: K9F

cheekykevUK

The bike was purchased on the 1st November, been stored in a reinforced wood large shed, the very reason for wood is because it absorbs moister, and here in England we do get moister.
I'd been out on it 5 times covering 100 miles per trip to get to the 500 service.
The bike was then washed, dried, then covered all the necessary parts in GT85 like I do with my other bikes.
The bike was then returned to the dealer for the service, unfortunately we went under lock down, so the bike ended up being stuck in the shop for 6 weeks.
As you can gather from this, the bike has never been left outside, or exposed to water apart from 1 wash down, been looked after in the proper manner.
I'm an aviation engineer and there is no doubt that these parts are sub standard, I've seen better nuts and
bolts on a childs pram.
Anyway while I'm on, are any of you having the same problem as me.
Sometimes, not all the time, the bike just cuts out on the approach to a roundabout or junction, I would say it happens 2 or 3 times while out on say a 100 mile trip, this is when the bike is at running temp or not.
I reported this to the dealer and he said they'd rectify it when it comes on for the 500 mile service.
The bike came back last week, I took it on 140 mile trip, and cut out 3 times while at full running temp.

cheekykevUK

Yeah, my dealer said they did the recall while it was in for the 500 mile service, but it's still doing it.
I'm going to wait till I've put 1,000 on the clock, which will only take a week or two and see if it sorts its self out, if not it's back to the dealer.

K9F

Kev I too am in the UK and know only too well about moisture. Small World you being an aviation engineer, I was in the Royal Air Force for 32 years as an Avionic/Electrical Tech and then went on for another 7 years in the Merchant Navy as an ETO on high speed RO-RO catamarans that could carry 180 cars.

That asides on the other forum there are people that have suffered similar dangerous instances such as yourself namely cutting out at crucial points such as intersections. Unfortunately due to legislation and emissions I don't believe the Indian ECU second flash upgrade was ever available this side of the pond? We have had only the circuit breaker recall over here. The flash upgrade had mixed results too.

…….Why should we have to find a solution to their failings, and at our expense, the plating on these parts is sub standard.
To be honest this has really put me off Indian as a company.
Such a pity because apart from this, and the fact it keeps stalling on the approach to roundabouts and junction, I quite enjoy the bike, and it does look stunning.

It seems that perhaps the only option available to you would be to consider an aftermarket tune. Others have had their issues sorted. My bike had minor running foibles that I decided to live with up until last week having covered 3000 miles since September to include a three month sabbatical during that time for a replacement knee. There is much consternation on the other forum about having to shell out for tuning to get it to run right but that is the nature of the beast which is very well documented I'm afraid.

The difference is truly amazing but it is something you may wish to carefully consider and sounding out your dealer before heading down that path?

As an Engineer if you are not happy with the standard of fasteners I think the expectation of either the dealership or Polaris coming out with a suitable resolution is highly unlikely. At best it will be like for like. Swap them out yourself will be quicker and less frustrating! Not the point I know but getting too hung up about it will ruin the FTR and Indian experience as you have already touched on and you may as well 'move on' to something you regard as having the quality you need. With recent bike purchases and engineering experience I knew what I was getting in to and protected them day 1 with liberal coating of ACF 50, the reason they are still in good condition today I would imagine the dire conditions it has been ridden in and washed numerous times with my mild OCD affliction? Good luck in your quest!

Last edited:

mark.lb

Bolts installed.

Attachments

• A555003E-EBE1-4C5A-AE7C-0CABEB0282C4.jpeg
    A555003E-EBE1-4C5A-AE7C-0CABEB0282C4.jpeg
    353.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 846B70E7-FD86-4436-A878-C14C971831A0.jpeg
    846B70E7-FD86-4436-A878-C14C971831A0.jpeg
    417.9 KB · Views: 41

JonR

Are all of y’all from up north with salty roads? I’ve had mine for about a year now, washed it half a dozen times and my hardware looks as fresh as the day I bought it.

Reactions: K9F

mark.lb

Yes - Pittsburgh, PA (Although I try to avoid salty and wet roads at all cost. I just don’t like to clean the bike)

K9F

Are all of y’all from up north with salty roads? I’ve had mine for about a year now, washed it half a dozen times and my hardware looks as fresh as the day I bought it.

Mine too, exact point I was trying to make. I live on the coast in the UK.

S2Davies

I Just took mine for the first service. It was around 80 miles each way and an hour sitting in the carpark. They flashed the ECU with an update to try and sort out some of the cold start and cold running issues, and while not perfect, it's a definite improvement. At the risk of drifting into other threads, there was a very "ratty" FTR there that had probably never been cleaned but had definitely seen a lot of weather. The primaries were quite badly corroded and stained, but hand on heart, all the engine fasteners were fine!
Anyway, first service done, first rain shower on the way home and now for the first deep clean, and yes K9F, I got some ACF-50 and am definitely going to use it :)

mark.lb

No worries - I ordered more fasteners from AlloyBoltz last week. I will be replacing all but the large bolts in the trellis frame and aluminum sub frame. It will complete the look of the case bolts and hopefully they will stay fresher than the zinc plated hardware. You must use care with stainless. Anti-seize is a must and they are torqued to a lower spec. Here is a look at a bolt I did not replace next to a new one. ( not about to remove the exhaust system to replace a bolt in riding season.)

Attachments

• A5491B58-47EC-4DBE-A9CB-E57395AF99C8.jpeg
    A5491B58-47EC-4DBE-A9CB-E57395AF99C8.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 22
  • BA94225E-095C-4B0D-9112-95FB5E83442F.jpeg
    BA94225E-095C-4B0D-9112-95FB5E83442F.jpeg
    353.6 KB · Views: 21

K9F

ACF50 = WD40 on steroids. I only use it a couple of times a year as it gives such great protection. Going into Winter (I still ride in Winter) and coming out of Winter. Don't use it in the Summer as dust and pollen sticks to it.

mark.lb

I think I got it out of my system. I installed the second batch of stainless fasteners today. They replaced bolts on the bars, forks, head light, front axle, passenger and driver foot pegs, rear master cylinder, oil level window and horn. I just can’t bring myself to take K9F’s suggestion and spray ACF50 all over my bike. I’m afraid I would make it a greasy mess. (actually I never even heard of ACF50. Had to google it. It is not common in the States)

Attachments

• 3F484663-E654-4540-8A4A-FF1B38A85681.jpeg
    3F484663-E654-4540-8A4A-FF1B38A85681.jpeg
    392.6 KB · Views: 17
  • C8ACA5FF-0FC4-4638-A746-2C15730EAE19.jpeg
    C8ACA5FF-0FC4-4638-A746-2C15730EAE19.jpeg
    617.4 KB · Views: 21

Murdock