CLS or Scott Oiler - Any experiences?

Murdock

Hi Folks,

has anyone installed a Scott Oiler or similar system for chain lubrication on his FTR? Components of this systems are often installed below the seat ... what might become a bit difficult on the FTR :). Is there any space for an "invisible" installation? Any experiences?

Thx
Olli

K9F

Save yourself a bucket load of cash and buy an old carburettor V-System Scottoiler and adapt. I fitted one to my FTR. Details in link below. Brilliant bits of kit! I mounted mine by picking up on one of the threaded holes to which the grab rail/ accessory mounting kit bolts to.
Scottoiler3.jpg

Last edited:

Murdock

Good idea to produce the vacuum that way. I will also have the grab handle but also the side rack for the messenger back. This requires to install the mounting brackets in this holes. I plan also to move the back turn signal into that place so there is no space left. And it is not invisible. The side number plates from the tracker edition would maybe hide your solution :) .

Blue1

These are irrelevant for modern o-ring chains...I get well over 20K miles out of chains on each one (three) of my liter plus Japanese fours, by thoroughly cleaning the chain once a year and lubing maybe twice a year, plus maybe an extra lube before a big trip.

Blue1

I guess if you only ride in the rain, OK, lube your chain every thousand miles. Contemporary chain lubes are very sticky and do not wash off easily.

The point is, all these chain oilers were developed before o-ring chains. I'm surprised these companies are still in business. I don't recall seeing an article or advertisement in a cycle mag for a chain oiler since maybe 1980.

CannonballKraut

I guess if you only ride in the rain, OK, lube your chain every thousand miles. Contemporary chain lubes are very sticky and do not wash off easily.

The point is, all these chain oilers were developed before o-ring chains. I'm surprised these companies are still in business. I don't recall seeing an article or advertisement in a cycle mag for a chain oiler since maybe 1980.
That's a good point. I haven't considered that.

Blue1

If it's keeping the oil in, it is keeping the water out. I bet you could immerse a chain in a bucket of water over night and it would be ready to go in the am.

Maybe a hint of surface rust...maybe.

Murdock

Beside greasing, the oil washes dirt away that would otherwise would have an impact on the o-rings (or more modern x-rings) and it adds rust prevention to the metal.

I agree that dry weather makes a chain live longer, even without maintenance. However, rain and dirt can not be avoided when you are touring in Europe.

CLS starts developing their system in 1997, not in the 80th ;-). Here's the companies own endurance test but also others tested the system with good results.

Blue1

...and leaves a film that attracts more contaminants; and the oil that is flung off gets on the wheels and other parts, then attracting dirt to them.

Blue1

OK, just sayin':)

I'm a big "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" guy. I remove more stuff from motorcycles than I put on, and, having no issues with drive chains, I don't go looking for solutions to non-issues. No matter the marketing.