Custom seat build

tri650

I decided to have my seat customized as it was horribly uncomfortable. On a recommendation found a custom seat guy who specializes in motorcycle seats in the St. Louis area. Rich Phillips cycles - https://richphillipscycles.com/

I told him I wanted to keep the original shape as much as possible but wanted some additional padding in the seat area. He indicated that the pan was basically right behind the ridge that comes up so you felt the hard plastic right through the cover. He suggested adding a 1/2 inch to the rise area and 1/2 inch to the seat area. While I also told him I just wanted to keep it vinyl (he pushes leather for longevity) he said the suede like fabric was his choice for better comfort and also suggested the diamond stitching for air flow. No extra charge for the suede or diamond stitching. He put on new vinyl also, more of an alligator pattern. Easy guy to work with and had a lot of good suggestions. Took 4 days and cost me $400.

Just able to do one test ride but can already feel the difference. It pushes you forward a 1/2 inch but also give me an additional 1/2 of height, which is good as I want less bend in my legs. Don't feel the pressure I felt before where my butt cheek ends on the seat. Will take a long ride tomorrow and report back.

IMG_6224.jpegIMG_6225.jpegIMG_6226.jpegIMG_2052.jpgIMG_2054.jpg

Timps27

Hmm, a little on the spendy side but quality hand work usually is. I’m in the STL metro as well, interested to hear some longer term updates and may look into him for next season.

tri650

Just took out for 70 mile ride. This time I wore my Triumph vented motorcycle pants. That made a difference over jeans . It is by no means a luxury touring seat now - and I did that on purpose not wanting to destroy the flow of the seat and bike. Definitely a difference (for the good) and can tell my ass has different contact points. It was really hot so not matter what I did was not really comfortable. I'll continue to test and update.

I compared the price to a Saddleman at $450. I have had custom seats done by Sargent and they typically ran in the $350-$400 range. Not cheap but I got to design what I wanted. If you ever want to sit on it let me know - I am south on 44 in Eureka.

Jyonish

Looks great and still saving over saddlemen seat.
I've been considering doing the custom thing but I'd want to go the opposite direction (lower seat height) and not sure really possible as seat is really that that thick.
Anyway - looks good and enjoy.

tri650

You may run into pan issues if you go lower. The guy who did the seat was pointing out how there was very little padding before you hit the pan - particularly on the rise. I guess you could go lower but probably would mean less padding.

tri650

I ended up buying a gel pad to put over the top of the seat. It arrives tomorrow. Will test it out. Having an extra 1" in height will also help the knees.

tri650

Gel pad seems kind of awkward. Definitely adds height and I feel more pressure on my wrists as I am sitting taller and leaning more towards bar. Need to give it more testing. Not sure it will help or not.

JDP

Nice job on the seat looks good, I cut out some foam an put in the gel pad and recovered it but still uncomfortable, I’m just going to buy either a Corbin or saddleman