Deer Spotting in Southern Wisconsin

K1000

You dodged a bullet there. Or a deer, rather.

Apparently, it's more likely to encounter them on the road at certain times of day. Shortly after dusk, or before sunrise.
Also, when the road lies between a forest (where they live) and a river (where they go to drink).

GunsNGunpla

Apparently, it's more likely to encounter them on the road at certain times of day. Shortly after dusk, or before sunrise.
Also, when the road lies between a forest (where they live) and a river (where they go to drink).
It had rained earlier in the day and I was anticipating residual wet spots under the tree shade so I was taking it slow. Might've been dicey if I was going 10-15mph faster, haha.
And yes, there's a lake right off to my left side so that fits what you're describing.

edgelett

same as roos down here.

K1000

It had rained earlier in the day and I was anticipating residual wet spots under the tree shade so I was taking it slow. Might've been dicey if I was going 10-15mph faster, haha.
And yes, there's a lake right off to my left side so that fits what you're describing.
Good thinking. Riding at night is always a risk, best to be avoided (which, of course, is not always possible).

K1000

same as roos down here.
Wow, never would have thought about them that way!

Here in Europe wildlife is a growing road risk. Read a statistic somewhere, forgot which country, maybe Austria: Apparently there is such a vast number of collisions with wildlife, that it works out to be ONE PER MINUTE on average (in the whole country).
Governments buid wildlife overpasses in the most notorious spots. Photo traps show that indeed a large number of animals use tem. But with tens of thousands kilometers of roads, how many overpasses can you really build?

The thing is, wildlife has been protected by law for decades, and the populations have bounced back. On one hand it's great to see the numbers bounce back, sometimes from the brink of exinction. On the other hand, in some countries (Romania, Slovakia) even brown bear has become a pest.

Here where I live now, in Andorra, every vehicle insurance covers wildlife collisions by default. No matter what cheap-ass insurance you buy, it will cover collisions with wildlife at the very least. I think they are obligated by law.

MilwDave

Not even a close encounter.
I see a half dozen deer every night on the ride home here in Pewaukee and most are closer than that.