Finally changed the DT3s

Sullaha

To Bridgestone T31 sport touring tyres.

I took them for a ride this morning to test them out and these are my initial impressions.

The profile shapes are almost the reverse of the DT3, the front T31 has quite a flat profile in relation to a lot of front tyres including the DT3 which has an almost vertical tread at the shoulder. The rear being oversized for the rim will always create a pinched high crown effect, this is minimal on the FTR but I means there's a small part of the tyre that never gets used.

At parking lot speed there's no difference to feel, the bike is still a doddle to ride slow.

Once up to speed initial turn in feels a touch slower, this is counteracted by the bike steering slighter quicker with less lean.

Dry traction on both ends is much better, I tried my traction testing loop and left no rubber behind, I have mixed feelings about that😉

I ran them at the standard recommended pressures as a start and can say the stiffer construction definitely makes for a harsher ride, there's a ton more feedback but I'd prefer it communicated a little more gently.
I'll be experimenting a couple of Psi at a time downwards from now.

Road noise was non existent though my other ride had tyres that were considerably noisier than the DT3 so this a relative viewpoint.

We don't have many rain grooved roads here but I could tell there was less of the "wandering" feeling, generally the bike tracked better and seems less effected by chambers and uneven surfaces.

These are very confidence inspiring right from the get go, even the scrub in was quick after one little deliberate slip of the rear wheel, you can see from the pics below that I'm already using most of the front tyre and the rear is working nicely. I'm looking forward to trying these in cooler temps and rain as from what I've read they have a short warm up time and excellent wet weather traction but there's only one way to find out.

So many more miles are required for a full test though I'd say if they work this well and I get more than 3000km out of them I'll be happy.

Another cool thing is now I have a left over road legal flat track tyre that will suit the look of my SR300 street tracker perfectly! That rim colour doesnt though!

Attachments

• 20200120_115535.jpg
    20200120_115535.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 20200120_115623.jpg
    20200120_115623.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 20200120_140653.jpg
    20200120_140653.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 31

Sullaha

I managed to conduct some further testing on the Bridgestones over the weekend and found some interesting things. The most immediate one is the bike is now slower turning, slightly more effort to initiate the turn in as I stated in the thread starter and (this is contrary to my earlier feelings) also feels like it needs to be leaned over for longer to complete the same turns at the same speed in comparison to the DT3 (the bike does sit lower at the rear because of the smaller diameter, so I'll lift the forks through and try it again). This is counteracted by the solid feeling of these tyres, there's none of the moving tread block feel the dunlops have, rock steady! Outright grip is also vastly improved, I'm more confident with the machine regardless of the surface conditions.

I also deliberately rode through some streams that cross the road, with the DT3 I'd have to wait for some time before resuming the pace because the wet tyre would spin with minimal effort, no such thing with this tyre, kept the throttle open and just drove across like it wasn't there. This is the closest thing I've managed to a wet weather test so incomplete data but already quite telling.

The biggest issue is when I forgot to switch to track mode and did my hill pass run with the TC engaged. It seems now that it's kicking in earlier despite having more grip, to the point where it was actually slowing me down. It was making quite an impact in areas where I know I wouldn't have been troubling the Dunlops even with their relative lack of grip. I have my theories as to why (tyre diameter / TC calibration, maybe) To more accurately describe the issue it was like the lean area of the parameters has gotten wider so the power is limited even when nearly upright, in this condition the dunlops would spin a turn or two (I suspect to make one feel like a hero;)) then gather it all up and send you on your way, now it's like mum is controlling the torque and doesn't want me to get near hurting myself, ever.
Anyway easy problem to solve but keen to hear what others have experienced...

Last edited:

Sullaha

any update now you've been living with these for a while?
still happy with them?
Love them apart from the smaller diameter rear and the resulting loss of rear ride height. They work so well I haven't used TC since fitting them (apart from when I forget to turn it off).
They look to be wearing well but I've only done just over 1000km so early days but I', sure i'll get at least 2000km more than the DT3 rear. I'm really happy with the increased stability and grip but kinda miss the skids if I'm being 100% honest. ;)
I'll try and stick with the front T31, its that good but I think I'll try the A41 radial adventure tyre in the 150/70 size to get that height back whilst retaining some compatibility with the front.

Max Kool

That, I didn’t feel either. I’m running Contis and they only made steer-in quicker, more natural.

Rich.ftr

Hi. Has anyone tried Avon spirit st 160/60 18 for the rear they make 120/70 19 for the front.

Also looking at michelin pilot road 3 for rear and pr4 or 5 on the front. Ive liked michelin in the past.
Cheers 🍻 rich

Max Kool

I’ve seen someone mention those yes. I’d assume they’re on par with the T31 and the CRA3. Sport touring tires.

Staedtler

Hi. Has anyone tried Avon spirit st 160/60 18 for the rear they make 120/70 19 for the front.

Also looking at michelin pilot road 3 for rear and pr4 or 5 on the front. Ive liked michelin in the past.
Cheers 🍻 rich
I think K9F runs them and is impressed, I was considering them for when my DT3’s die too.

K9F

I do indeed. Had a good history with Avons and living in the UK and Avon being the only motorcycle tire manufacturer here, it was a natural choice for me taking our weather and road conditions into account. Not a knee down, balls out kind of rider and don't get too excited about tires as they aren't around for long but they do keep the rear planted when leaning on the gas which the DT3s were beginning to fail at miserably.

IMG_1477.jpg

Last edited:

Rich.ftr

Hey thanks... Do you like them? Do they feel good turning in , ie do you have to pull the bike down into the corner or. Do the feel more neutral.

Can all of the tire be used on the rear or is it pinched to a sharper Profile angle?

I beleive they are 168mm wide which if the profile is good i think im keen to try the avons for the extra contact patch.

Cheers rich

K9F

They are a vast improvement. No pinched profile. Turning in is improved as is road noise. As mentioned I am not a knee down, balls out rider but do have my 'spirited' moments and the Avons are perhaps aptly named? Tires whilst important are nothing to go into raptures about as they are more or less changed annually on mine. If they were worn out I would go for them again. Only been on for about 1K miles and they do what I rely upon them to do so far. There will always be a trade off 'longevity against grip' and I am currently happy with the choice I made, we shall see over a longer time.

Last edited:

Rich.ftr

Great many thanks for the description. On the road i always have chicken strips. But happy to use all of the tyre if i do a track day. I put a 180mm ax41s on my bmw scrambler but it was a mistake to go that wide as the last 8mm of profile is almost verticle, not even close on a track day with pegs scrapping.

My mate turned up on a ftr which id looked at through concept. I tried out his bike and was sold, i pick up mine in a month but the dunlops felt difficult to lean to me. Although it was a short test ride.
Cheers

K9F

As my Dunlops wore even on a straight road in damp conditions leaning on the gas would cause the rear wheel to begin to spin. Stumbled across the Avon Spirits and thought "Why not?" They were at a good price but even the supplier questioned my choice of unusual sizes of 18/19 for the FTR before sending them on. They are a new tire from Avon and manufacturing date for mine were week 33 of 2020 I was surprised they weren't still warm from the manufacturing process?

Give them a try, with your track intent and use of the whole tire you're better placed to put up an accurate and much better review of these than me. As you can see from the picture above I definitely don't use the whole tire and track days don't interest me at all.

😇

Rich.ftr

Great many thanks for thev description. On the road i always have chicken strips. But happy to to use all of the tire if i do a track day. I put a 180mm ax41s on my bmw scrambler but it was a mistake to go the wide as the last 8mm of profile is almost verticle no even close on a track day with pegs scrapping.

My mate turned up on a ftr which id looked at through concept. I tried out his bike and was sold, i pick up mine in a month but the dunlops felt difficult to lean to me. Short test ride though.
Ch
Just to add to this, despite what people may say about the wheel sizes on the 2019 FTRs I personally found there is still quite a selection available out there:

FTR Tires. List the makes and sizes here. | Indian Motorcycle Forum (indianmotorcycles.net)
Thank you, ill have a look.