FTR and rust - experiences?

Murdock

Hi All,

I am not registered to the other forum but read there from time to time. When I scrolled trough the "Help! Lost brake lever pin" thread, I saw this picture from Max Kool.

Help! Lost brake lever pin _MaxKool.png

This is more rust for such a quite new bike than I would expect. Especially for one that runs in the Sunshine State. ☀

@Max Kool : I know the cat turns very hot, so it might be normal. What would you say?
@ all: How are your experiences?

Thx
Olli

Last edited:

Unruly Rider

Seems normal for an exhaust component that see's high temps and is also exposed to water, etc. Cats are usually some of the first components to show signs of rust on automobiles for the same reasons.

K9F

Exhaust systems from the cat forwards are realistically classed as consumable parts. It's akin to saying "My tyres are worn what shall I do?' On the cat welds you have extreme temperatures, dissimilar metals and undoubtedly moisture which are three of the main components for degradation which is not unusual and to be expected as Unruly Rider has also stated. My cat is still pristine after 2,500 Autumn/Winter miles but then again it was removed before delivery and is sat in a box.

Murdock

Sure I know that this part will rust with the time but I thought this is really early for a vehicle running in California. Especially when another one in Wet Britain withstands the weather :).

Removing the lunch box is not a recommendable solution for Germany.

SURLY

The ones in wet Britain are sitting in garages not much rain in there and looking at Max Cools bike i suspect it gets used hard looking at my bike the overall finish looks very good I once owned a Victory Hammer S (also a Polaris Bike) and after 4 years it looked as good as new my all time favourite bike only sold it when polaris killed victory I was so pissed off I swore I would never buy another Polaris bike then I saw this fcuker and that went out the window:unsure:

Ultratoad

The ones in wet Britain are sitting in garages not much rain in there and looking at Max Cools bike i suspect it gets used hard looking at my bike the overall finish looks very good I once owned a Victory Hammer S (also a Polaris Bike) and after 4 years it looked as good as new my all time favourite bike only sold it when polaris killed victory I was so pissed off I swore I would never buy another Polaris bike then I saw this fcuker and that went out the window:unsure:

We certainly have some common ground.... One difference, I kept my Hammer S.... Love that bike.... Same experience with build quality.... Still looks brand new....

Max Kool

Easy guys. The last time I washed/polished the exhaust was 3500 miles ago I guess. As @ferraiolo1 noted, most of it is crud.

I'll take some time one of these days to clean it, and repost a pic ok?

Murdock

A longer discussion as I thought :giggle:.

Short background why I asked that: On my Buell, the complete exhaust rusted during the first winter while the bike was parked in the Garage. Thunderbike (my dealer) said they can replace it under warranty but it will happen again the next winter. So I asked them to powder coat that thing instead of replacing it. The black powder turned into dark grey after a while but I had no rust for the next five or six years.

As long as it can be washed or brushed away, everything is fine. (y)

Thanks for your lot responses.

No need to post further Pics Max. We know that you love and pamper your bike😉:giggle:

SURLY

We certainly have some common ground.... One difference, I kept my Hammer S.... Love that bike.... Same experience with build quality.... Still looks brand new....
Just been talking to my dealer service manager and moaning about polaris killing Victory (he knew how much I liked my Hammer) and he commented that the new Indian 1768cc water cooled engine was originally intended for Victory so might Indian roll out a new Hammer type model it was popular in the UK so maybe, my debit card is waiting🔨

Max Kool

I have two parts that started corroding. The radiator cap, and the little bracket for the brake fluid reservoir.

Nothing major, but will require a respray once.